Ways to Experience Chinatown
from US$71.40
from US$30.90
from US$15.62
12,177 results
All reviews food street chinese new year smith street chinese food china towns people's park cheap souvenirs market stalls pagoda street souvenir shopping buddha tooth relic temple for sale t shirts worth a visit great place to visit mrt station food court
Reviewed May 24, 2015

Chinatown is a fantastic place to visit.

So much history of ear.y times in Singapore .

Should you want to do a tour try Singapore walking tours which are cheap and very informative.

If you are around Smith street there is great food and entertainment to be had.

Shopping for those quirky Chinese items is a must.

Reviewed May 24, 2015 via mobile

Only place in Singapore for pocket friendly stuff. Buy souvenirs, t shirt, accessories, paper lampshades, paper fans, handbags n other stuff at affordable rates. Try shakes n juices once tired from all shopping. Can reach there by metro too.

Reviewed May 24, 2015 via mobile

I must have spent hours and hours in Chinatown. This place has everything that all travellers require, in relation to souvenirs. There is also amazing, and delicious street food, that is to die for. Beautiful fresh fruit juices. All travellers, get amongst Chinatown, you will all really enjoy yourselves. I have been to Singapore, twice in 2 months and Chinatown is one of my favourite places to visit.

Reviewed May 24, 2015

Chinatown occupies a common place in the hearts of many Singaporeans that we tend to take it for granted and treat it just like any common casual place to shop and eat.

Yet, for me, this place invokes many old memories but the landscape is dynamically changing fast that I am really worried that one day when I re-visited this place I could no longer recognize the familiar features that I once used to see her.

The Criminal Investigation Department was once housed at that blue colonial building at Eu Tong Seng Street. A decade back, it had moved to the modern sophisticated looking Police Cantonment Complex and the former Eu Tong Seng building is now converted into a student hostel and I could no longer find the blue paint that once colored the old Police building. The sentry post that was once a familiar sight as you walked past the building had long been demolished and I wondered if the CID lock-ups that once detained the most wanted and notorious criminals for criminal investigation in Singapore had been converted into a comfortable and air-conditioned student dormitory.

I remember the old Police quarters behind this building where I used to visit some of my Police friends but now those quarters had long been demolished and gone. I remember those days the Attorney General Chambers office was located at Adelphi Building but it has now shifted over to Chinatown and is beside and overseeing Hong Lim Park.

There is now a national library within Chinatown Point and is packed with readers. There are so many books on China and I recently attended a book review talk at the library crowded with many Chinese readers. It was spectacular and there was an exhibition on Dr Sun Yat Sen in the library. I thought I was in a library in Shanghai or Beijing and was marveled by the many Chinese readers. The library resembles more like a Chinese cultural center with the many Chinese books.

I remember I used to visit Pin MIn Medical Hall in Chinatown for consultation and purchase some herbs. The TCM shop is still there and located just beside the food center. The herbs here sold here are said to be reasonably priced and I still met the courteous and friendly owner and his daughters and wife at the counter but the whole hall has since renovated with a modern pharmacy look and totally different from the old TCM medical hall marked with those `antique' characteristics.

The whole street of Keong Saik Road has also changed dramatically with more pubs and lounges and eaterieries. Other than the Hindu temple at the corner of the road junction I could hardly recognize her original identity.

Dorsett Hotel building that now occupies the prime location opposite the Police Cantonment Complex was a new injection into the landscape of Chinatown.

It is changing dramatically and it is going to be a great dynamic change in the landscape. With an increasing influx of tourists from China and the soon opening of the North South line, the landscape in Chinatown would dynamically change.

I really wonder if I could still retain my old memories of this place when the old buildings give way to new ones.

2  Thank soh_kien_peng
Reviewed May 23, 2015

To see & experience the real China Town you need to get off the well worn tourist track & delv into where the locals eat & shop. Perfectly safe Singapore still offers some great bargins if you get away from Orchard road and the major centres. Massages are common and well worth having different from a resort massage these are the real thing.
Wander through the fresh food markets for an experience & marvel @ the array of produce available. Retailers don't mind haggling if they don't they will soon let you know.

1  Thank Colin & Jan A