“A riot of sounds, colors, and flavorful aromas”
Review of Chinatown

Chinatown
Ranked #11 of 870 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: For a fascinating peek into Singapore’s Chinese culture and history, Chinatown is good place to start. Here, you’ll enjoy a mix of heritage visits to museums, shopping as well as a good variety of food options, sure to leave a traveller happy and satisfied at the end of the day.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 May 2015

Singapore's Chinatown is a cacophony of different flavors, colors, and sounds, but in a good way. It is kept amazingly clean, and given the Singaporean obsession with cleanliness, that is a good thing. I purchased several souvenirs for folks back home for under $20 USD, and they were every bit as high quality as the more expensive items seen in the larger shops. There are also several food stalls here serving various Chinese regional as well as other cuisines. If I had been able to fit it, I might have had one of the tailors there make me a suit! You can't go wrong in Singapore's Chinatown.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,008)
All reviews
"souvenir shopping"
in 101 reviews
"pagoda street"
in 142 reviews
"buddha tooth relic temple"
in 147 reviews
in 93 reviews
"little india"
in 107 reviews

Reviewed 24 May 2015

Chinatown is a fantastic place to visit.

So much history of ear.y times in Singapore .

Should you want to do a tour try Singapore walking tours which are cheap and very informative.

If you are around Smith street there is great food and entertainment to be had.

Shopping for those quirky Chinese items is a must.

Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

Only place in Singapore for pocket friendly stuff. Buy souvenirs, t shirt, accessories, paper lampshades, paper fans, handbags n other stuff at affordable rates. Try shakes n juices once tired from all shopping. Can reach there by metro too.

Reviewed 24 May 2015 via mobile

I must have spent hours and hours in Chinatown. This place has everything that all travellers require, in relation to souvenirs. There is also amazing, and delicious street food, that is to die for. Beautiful fresh fruit juices. All travellers, get amongst Chinatown, you will all really enjoy yourselves. I have been to Singapore, twice in 2 months and Chinatown is one of my favourite places to visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 May 2015

Chinatown occupies a common place in the hearts of many Singaporeans that we tend to take it for granted and treat it just like any common casual place to shop and eat.

Yet, for me, this place invokes many old memories but the landscape is dynamically changing fast that I am really worried that one day when I re-visited this place I could no longer recognize the familiar features that I once used to see her.

The Criminal Investigation Department was once housed at that blue colonial building at Eu Tong Seng Street. A decade back, it had moved to the modern sophisticated looking Police Cantonment Complex and the former Eu Tong Seng building is now converted into a student hostel and I could no longer find the blue paint that once colored the old Police building. The sentry post that was once a familiar sight as you walked past the building had long been demolished and I wondered if the CID lock-ups that once detained the most wanted and notorious criminals for criminal investigation in Singapore had been converted into a comfortable and air-conditioned student dormitory.

I remember the old Police quarters behind this building where I used to visit some of my Police friends but now those quarters had long been demolished and gone. I remember those days the Attorney General Chambers office was located at Adelphi Building but it has now shifted over to Chinatown and is beside and overseeing Hong Lim Park.

There is now a national library within Chinatown Point and is packed with readers. There are so many books on China and I recently attended a book review talk at the library crowded with many Chinese readers. It was spectacular and there was an exhibition on Dr Sun Yat Sen in the library. I thought I was in a library in Shanghai or Beijing and was marveled by the many Chinese readers. The library resembles more like a Chinese cultural center with the many Chinese books.

I remember I used to visit Pin MIn Medical Hall in Chinatown for consultation and purchase some herbs. The TCM shop is still there and located just beside the food center. The herbs here sold here are said to be reasonably priced and I still met the courteous and friendly owner and his daughters and wife at the counter but the whole hall has since renovated with a modern pharmacy look and totally different from the old TCM medical hall marked with those `antique' characteristics.

The whole street of Keong Saik Road has also changed dramatically with more pubs and lounges and eaterieries. Other than the Hindu temple at the corner of the road junction I could hardly recognize her original identity.

Dorsett Hotel building that now occupies the prime location opposite the Police Cantonment Complex was a new injection into the landscape of Chinatown.

It is changing dramatically and it is going to be a great dynamic change in the landscape. With an increasing influx of tourists from China and the soon opening of the North South line, the landscape in Chinatown would dynamically change.

I really wonder if I could still retain my old memories of this place when the old buildings give way to new ones.

2  Thank soh_kien_peng