“Not that bad… just overpriced”

Hotel 81 - Chinatown
Ranked #248 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Nakhodka, Russia
“Not that bad… just overpriced”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We spent four nights there in the beginning of April… and it’s not a horrible place, like you may think from some of the previous reviews… It’s just very basic – room is small and most space is taken by the bed, but the bed is clean and was made every day. And yes, the shower room is tiny and everything inside gets wet when you take a shower.

It’s just very overpriced for such a basic room, but I guess it’s no surprise in Singapore… so don’t expect too much when you decide to stay there and thus you won’t get disappointed

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
HK
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night before my transit flight
1/ You can find lots of restaurant and hawker center nearby the hotel, between 2 or 15 minutes walk
2/ Room size is quite small comparing to my previous booking in hotel 81 bugis
3/ Airport shuttle cannot provide drop you off at the main entrance of the hotel, you need to have 1 minute walk instead. Similar arrangement for pick up service
4/ Other service is in average as per hotel 81 standard

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 February 2011

It's a budget hotel but the rate is not low. There should be better choice if you pay the same rate. Yes the location is good. MRT station is just 1 minute away. There is wide range of choice for dining or shopping. But I really cannot stand the size of the room and there are ants and little flying objects in my room. Soundproof is not done well and you can hear people walking and talking outside. I won't recommend this hotel unless you feel that location is your utmost concern.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank halenhelen

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 February 2011

you can har all noise from the outside.they dont have proper bedding. the sheets are disgusting old sheets that didnt fit te bed.aircon is dirty and generally this hotel is overpriced for the standard.yak!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agnes077
Singapore
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I helped my relatives from Malacca to book this hotel, which is only 10 mins walk from my home in Chinatown. The location, food & shopping here is no doubt very good, but the hotel receptionist attitude sucks big time. When I read the past reviews, I felt even more ashamed of my own fellow countrymen.

As I arrived at the lobby, I informed the plump, male receptionist that I have a booking for a room of 2. He stared at me, seemed to expect something from me. Then he asked rudely, "Do you have proof that you have made a booking?" I was a little shocked at the way he asked, but as usual, when I travel overseas, I would take out my identity card & credit card (since it's credit card booking) so that receptionists could check the confirmation on their computers.

He looked at my ID & CC & said that those are useless & can't prove that I had booked a room. I was like, huh? Then what can prove it? He didn't want to check the computer. He expected a print out confirmation of the room that I booked online. I apologized & said that I don't have it with me, but surely my ID & CC are better proofs than a print out which can be misplaced & land in anyone's hands? He got frustrated & said that without the print out, he could cancel my booking straightaway.

Deep down I wanted to cancel it & walk off, but I don't want to kick up a fuss with a receptionist who's unhappy working there, & I didn't want to keep my relatives waiting beside me. So I just apologized again & asked him to check the computer for my confirmation. He reluctantly did.

The room is clean, but very tiny & cramped. There's only space for small backpacks, not luggages. There's no remote control for the flat screen tv, so you gotta look at the side of the tv closely to operate it. Air con remote control buttons are damaged for some. It's not worth US$95 at all. I have paid US$60 for many big & clean hotel rooms with breakfast in the US & Australia before.

Please stay away from here.

If you need free wireless internet access, go to Macdonald's at Chinatown Point just across the road.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank broadshouldersgal
Batam, Indonesia
Reviewed 23 December 2010

The receptionist was just awful even for a Budget Hotel Standard. I was treated like a refugee. Complaints on room amenities are received with bad attitude although complaints are rectified. Overall in room standard is clean and but cramp and noisy through the night.

Overall impression Bad Service, Good Location but Not Worth the Money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Hengky L
London
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Great location in Chinatown - that's where the good news ends. Taxis cannot drop outside because of parking restrictions (ok, not the hotel's fault). The reception area is styled to look like a French brothel - I can live with that, but check-in was painfully slow despite them having all the information in advance.

The room was ghastly. Clean, but desperately in need of maintenance. The Internet connection didn't work, the TV remote was missing I couldn't change channel, turn the sound down or switch it off. The bed mattress was covered in thick PVC making it very uncomfortable, especially as the aircon control was smashed up - so it could only be switched on or off. This meant waking up every few hours to switch it on or off depending on how hot or cold the room had become.

Worse than all this the hotel reeked of cigarettes. I'm a smoker, I can usually cope - but this was bad!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo