“A great stay at the old hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donde German Hostel

Donde German Hostel
Ranked #8 of 169 Speciality Lodging in Pucon
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A great stay at the old hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I think this hostel has suffered from the mixed reviews of the new hostel of the same name, which I believe has the same ownership. The old hostel is on the edge of town, but it is easy to walk to all the attracttions and there is a fantastic view of the Villerrica Volcano from the garden. The wooden cabins are with ensuite facilities are spacious and a fully equipped kitchen with free tea/coffee a nice touch.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris186273

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed in Las Rosas hostel.
This is a lovely hostel which feels more like a B+B. It's a beautiful building and the rooms have nice colours and attention to detail. Our bed was massive and very comfortable!
The kitchen here is the best we've had. There's loads of space to prepare and cook, and every room has its own cupboard to store food.
We really enjoyed our stay here, it felt like a touch of luxury after other places.
The only thing to suggest is a sign for the front. We arrived at night and wandered up and down the street looking for it. Eventually we knocked on another hostel's door who called German and he came out to show us the way. He was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the NEW Donde German Hostel in february, 2012. It's in Calle Brasil, 645.

We reserved the Habitacion Matrimonial con Baño Privado (Double Room Ensuite) and they gave us a Double bed plus twin beds, with no extra charge - 33.000 pesos per night (like 66 dollars). And also the room had a beautiful view to the Volcano Villarica - although the volcano was covered most of the days.

There is no breakfast (desayuno), but the hostel has a well equipped kitchen, so you can buy your own food in any supermarket and fry some eggs and stuff. There are divisions in the shelf for every room, so the food stays separate from the other guests.

Although Pucon is a small city, the Hostel is well located. Two blocks from the Jac and Pullman Bus Station and the bus station that goes to huerquehue, caburgua... (I walked with my suitcases to and from the hostel). And it's one block away from the principal street (O'Higgins).

Every day I saw the cleaner service, so the hostel is really neat. But (here comes a but) I cleaned some socks and underwears and left in my room and when I came at night one pair were gone. I explain that to the manager (Boris) and he told me that he was going to talk to the mucamas, but he never talked to me back about the missing socks. I only saw two girls doing the cleaning, so it shouldn't be a problem to talk to then about this situation. Now I'm glad that my suitcases were locked - so you probably do the same and don't clean any clothes there!!..

That was the reason why I put 'good' in my review consurning the room service.

Despite of this incident, Boris (manager) was really helpfull with all we needed. We left our suitcases in his office after the check in and pick them back to go away and nothing happened. It's good to know that before 8:30 AM and after 20:30 it's Ramon who stays in the Hostel.

The Double Bed was perfect!! Big and cosy - the best I'd found in Chile.

All the bathrooms had Hotwater (you just have to wait 1 minute, so don't panic like I did... hehe). I tryed as well the Shared Bathrooms and they had hot water either. They all were beautifull new bathrooms, just as the whole hostel.

The price was ok considering that Pucon is a expensive city (33.000 chilean pesos per night - like 66 dollars).

There's a Tour Agency in the Hostel, but I haven't done any tour with them, so I can't tell more about climbing the volcano with them...

There is a swimming pool in the yard, but even in february (summer) Pucon wasn't that hot (like max. 20º celsius and 8º Celsius minimum)...

And, after all, I can't tell how it's in the winter, if it's too cold or not... but in the summer the room was really warm and the blankets were just fine!!

I would definetly stay there again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aline B
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Be careful: there are two 'Donde German' hostels, which are under the same ownership, and reviews may cause some confusion. There is one, the older one, that is about ten minutes walk out of town, and a newer one that is centrally located (on Brasil St., I believe), and is very smart and spacious. We stayed in the newer one for five nights in November of 2011; and I know nothing whatever about the older place.

I think we got the best room--Room #6--in Donde German (Mark II), upstairs, with a huge picture window facing the volcano. It was priced like a somewhat expensive 'hostel' but seemed like a 4-star Boutique Hotel. We had the run of a huge (if poorly stocked) kitchen; a swimming pool; internet access in the office; a perfectly comfortable bed; and a beautiful room. The place we had at first booked, 'Ecole!', we declined to stay at, in the end. We learned that we wouldn't have any access to kitchen faciltites at all, even to make a cup of tea or coffee. (Nor did they have even a Thermos we could use for hot water.) We walked a couple of blocks away to 'Donde German (Mark II),' found that they had a great room at only slightly more, and couldn't believe our luck. We had intended to stay three days, and wound up staying five.

(As I say, the kitchen at the time of our stay was very poorly stocked: one rather dull chef's knife; one glass cutting board that wasn't really a cutting board at all but something to keep hot pans from burning the counter tops; a few, too-small fry pans with handles that are wobbling or missing; and so on. Spend a bit of money on the kitchen! An absolute fortune has been spent on other aspects of this beautiful place.)

Pucon makes a great base for some beautiful walks. We loved seeing the 'Ojos de Cabriagua' (sp?) waterfalls, and the walks we took in the mountains, in the Herquehue park, especially the 'Tres Lagos' walk. Pucon is worth a few days. It is 'touristic' in a good sense, meaning that there are lots of provisions for people who want to get out and do things.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Ville D'Avray, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed 1 week in Donde German and we really enjoy our stay. The owner is trying her best to make your stay confortable, the house is absolutely clean, the kitchen provides all failities you need, location is perfect.
It was one of the best location we stayed in South America !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Ancud
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Arrived to collect us from bus station with big smile v welcoming. 2 hostels. We stayed at one 10 min walk out of town. The lounge and rooms were very comfortable and attractive. However several things did not work. One bed was broken and rocked from side to side 'un noticed by owners. shower taps broken so had to find tools to shut of water. V difficult to find any help eg to give washing, to fix things. No key avaiabe at time as reivous guest had walked away with it. No spare until 7 hours later. German locked it but could not get in until later. Tours more expensive than in town. Bikes were so uncomfortable was in agony after 20 minutes but did not want to turn back as reay wanted to see Mapuchu community and waterfalls. Could only cycle v slowly due to discomfort. On returning the bikes after 3 hours for journey that should have only taken us 1.5 hours as so slow dispite v easy route, the kind guy n shop said German sould have given us gel seat and never hired one of the bikes as it was broken...my one...why had they not thrown it away. On reading previous reviews from 2010 nothing has changed. We were not charged but German the next day was v unpleasant and tried to charge us and accused us of using their bikes for free. He did not take on board any criticism and was very unpleasant.
Also cooked lovely BBQ in Garden but there was only one knofe to cut up food for preparation and whilst eating to share between 8 and al the others trying to use the kitchen. Again no one to ask.
Pucon lovely though and hydrospeeding great with Aguaadventure..great guys!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BeccaMay76
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

Hostel has such a nice vibe it's clean great value for money, and I would highly recommend it! The best place we have stayed in south America and it will be hard pushed to beat it!

• Stayed December 2011