New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #26 of 152 Santiago B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I spent about a week at this great bed and breakfast (I would not consider it a hostel because the feeling was much more that of a home and there was a lot of privacy and comfort). Maria Teresa was the caretaker at night and in the early mornings and she made my stay incredibly comfortable. There were a few issues with the electricity and the room when I arrived (it was winter and I wanted to make sure the heat would work!) and she was attentive and quick to resolve the problem. She was consistently kind and generous and even gave me detailed directions (after spending quite some time doing online research) to a local market where I could find rare ingredients for making a specific meal for my grandmother who was sick. The place was clean, comfortable and conveniently located close to my family's residence in Santiago. I recommend this place completely. And I thank Maria Teresa immensely for her special way of making sure guests were happy here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank rebecacristina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

The hostal is in a converted house, but it is quite cold and noise travels, so the 24 hour reception can be quite disturbing at night. There are some nice members of staff, who are helpful. There was a member of staff, possibly the owner, who was not particularly friendly, very clinical and cold. The hostal is situated in a quiet neighbourhood, quite far from the centre of the city.
I probably would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

we spent 4 nights here and it wasn´t long enough! the hostal is set in a beautiful converted house and provided the perfect base for our stay in santiago. the owners were super helpful - the chattiest, loveliest people you could hope to meet. they organised a great all-inclusive skiing day trip (which we highly recommend), ordered numerous taxis for us, and generally helped us with our every need. breakfast was plentiful and the communal dining area was great for meeting fellow travelers. the area of providencia is a great neighbourhood with restaurants and cafes not far from romandia. it was a great choice for us!

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveandrol
Bora Bora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Very helpful people, comfortable beds, enjoyed the breakfast... felt like going to a friend's home!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sandpitrun
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Im staying in Hostal Romandia for 3 month now. It is a beautiful hostal, great location, nice area here in providencia and the owners of the hostal are very very friendly and helpful people.
Last weekend the earthquake in santiago was a big shock for me because I never experienced something like that before.
But I was surprised when I left the house two days later to go downtown. I havent seen any destroyed or damaged buldings and the city just didnt looked like an earthquake had taken place.
Eventhough many tourists cancel their trip to Chile, friends from Germany will come to visit me. The highways to the coast arent damaged, nor any streets in the city and even the airport works normal again so that we have the possibility to travel.
I also saw many tourists in the center of the city behaving as if nothing happened and enjoying their vacations in Santiago.
So if you planned a trip to Chile and Santiago dont be afraid of the bad news and horrible pictures you see in tv. Its something horrible that happened last week, but people try to go back to normal life.
So enjoy Santiago, because its worth visiting =)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank lenitaFrankfurt
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

My two friends and I stayed at this hostel for a few days in July. It was the nicest hostel we stayed in during our travels. Very clean, good breakfast with a nice variety, accomodating staff. It's on a safe, quiet street near the Italian Embassy. The bus picks up a few blocks away with easy access to the Metro. I'd happily recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank fromAL
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

This place is a fantastic choice in Santiago. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and loved it, it was the perfect place for us. The house is very modern, comfortable and tranquil. The staff are extremely nice and accommodating.

The beds are fantastic, extremely comfortable with big fluffy pillows, the downside being that we couldn´t get out of bed in the mornings! This was not a problem though as cheerful Alicia was prepared to serve breakfast at anytime of the day for us, she´s an absolute gem!
We should add that the breakfast is great (you get far more choice than the usual bread and jam offered in most B & Bs).

We would definitely recommend this place to people who are looking for a great value, quiet and comfortable stay in santiago. People who like to party should stay elsewhere.

Hostel Romandia was a perfect end to our 6 months of travelling around Latin America. Top marks!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple