See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed for about 10hrs overnight between flights. Arrived late and was met by a nice guy who spoke English.
Comfy beds and nice rooms.
But went to check out and no-one except the maid was around who spoke 0 English (but was lovely) and couldn't work card machine for payment or direct me to a cash machine. Also could not contact any other staff.
After 2hrs owner's mother came to take payment...which was above &beyond but a pretty stressful situation which could have been avoided by having someone on reception.
Overall I would recommend staying there but take cash!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Rahzelle
Reviewed May 29, 2013

First off, I hate to give this hostel an average rating because I liked the staff so much. They aren't average at all. Everyone we met there was welcoming and approachable.

This hostel/hotel does a lot of things right. But for the price, we expected something more. We usually stay at lower-priced hostels, but we wanted a place that was comfortable for our folks coming to visit us. So we figured, at the $60/night mark, we'd be getting more than what we get at the $40/night mark. Here's what we got:

The good: VERY clean, safe neighborhood, nice staff, comfortable beds, nice homey atmosphere, cute outdoor terrace.

But here's what this hostel should improve in order to compete:

The staff and/or guests woke us up in the middle of the night. Hostal Romandia is located in an older home, and noise carries. But the staff should know this (they work there, right?) and keep their voices down and/or close doors during the night so that they don't awaken customers who are, you know... PAYING for a place to sleep! We're not light sleepers either. The noise from conversations downstairs was just really loud and would have prevented nearly anyone from sleeping. Why not institute a 10:00 PM quiet time or something? It would be a great service to your guests.

Then there was the drunk guy playing guitar and singing (badly) in the back yard very late at night. This really bothered our parents whose room was located in the back. Why can't the staff ask him to cut it out? We are paying to sleep at your place! Please PLEASE make it possible to sleep!

Breakfast: totally average. For $60 night, I expect more than instant coffee and sugary juice. The bread, butter, marmalade, and yogurt were fine, but at this price I would expect an offering of eggs and fruit.

Although the beds are comfortable, the room lacked a headboard or adequate shelving/drawer storage other than an open metal shelf, which held a TV.

They advertised heaters but took our heater away after the first night. They said there was a problem with electricity overload or something. We were glad our parents' heater was not removed from their room. We do understand that things happen, but we were disappointed, nonetheless.

This is a lovely little place to stay. But we've stayed at lots of places that were clean, cute, comparable, safe, and with better breakfasts for far less money. For $65, I sort of thought we'd be treating ourselves to something much nicer than the usual cheap backpacker hostel. It was a little nicer, but really should have been more.

I really wish Hostal Romandia the best of luck in the future. The people who work there are really wonderful and it has the potential to be a very worthwhile B&B.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Thriftydrifter
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed three times at hostal romandia during our 6 week holiday in chile. By the end of our holiday we felt like it was our home away from home. What stood out was the friendliness of the staff, as well as the pleasant atmosphere and very clean and spacious rooms. The courtyard was great for our little boy to play in, and everyone was so friendly to our little boy, and accepting of a toddler. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially families and older travelers.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed December 30, 2012

As the room rate suggests, this is more of a guest house than a hostal, located in an up-market, residential, safe part of town. The house itself is lovely with just a handful of guest rooms and ample kitchen and bathroom facilities for the number of guests. There is a very nice garden area at the back of the house and, overall, there is a relaxed, family feel about the place.

There are two subway stations within 20 minutes walk of the hostal. You can also take a public bus but you need a Bip card to use these. This card cab be bought at any subway station and topped up like an Oyster card in London. We chose to walk as much a possible - Bellavista is approx 30 minutes walk away.

Our room was on the first floor. It was nice and bright and airy with patio doors overlooking the tree-lined street. The two bathrooms were clean and the shower was hot most of the time.

Breakfast was very good - toast, ham, cheese, yogurt, juice, tea, coffee. We also used the kitchen to cook lunch and dinner. It has all the utensils, pots, pans and crockery you need as well as an oven, microwave, toaster and kettle.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor are quieter away from reception and the kitchen. Room 6 has patio doors overlooking the tree-lined street (no traffic noise at night as very quiet street).
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KimAndJLR
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed in this hostal 8 nights
It is well maintained, every bedroom has its own sink
good wifi everywhere
it's got a real pleasant garden where you can relax or chat with other travelers or with the ladies of the house
and most of all, the warm welcome of the Chilean ladies that take care of it
I had long discussions with mostly Valeria and Yvonne, but I'm sure if I had had the opportunity to talk more with Alicia and others, I would have liked them just the same
I'll definitly stay here if I come back to Chile, feels like being at some friends place
Loved it

Room Tip: maybe try to avoid rooms 1 & 2 as they're in the main entrance and you'll hear everything that goes on in the lobby, but it's a pretty quiet place overall
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo