“A wonderful upgrade” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 197 Hotels in Santiago
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A wonderful upgrade”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was actually booked into the sister hotel next door but the first night I arrived they had no record of my booking so without any help being offered I found another hotel which was great "The Four seasons- Sheraton" which was actually closer to everything. The next day I arrived in the morning to find rooms were not ready so i went out and arrived back at 7.30pm to find no room available. To be fair there was a big rock concert on and the hotel was fully booked. However after pointing out there was no way I could get ready for my evening appointment they upgraded me to the sister hotel through the lobby the San Cristobel Tower for no extra charge. The bedroom was luxurious and it came with the services of a butler who ironed my clothes and unpacked my bag. The views from the breakfast room were fabulous and the food was great. The porters and concierge were friendly and very helpful. The place was sparkling clean and I felt I'd had a wonderful touch of luxury. Apparently President Obama had stayed here the week before although I can't verify this. My only problem is that its sort of cut off from the city and you need to take a taxi everywhere but if you like that feeling then this wouldn't be a problem for you.

I couldn't normally afford what they were asking for this hotel but it was great to experience it for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Both sides are okay but the higher the better if you want to see the whole town.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KatePnz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Last year I had to go to Santiago several times, always staying at the San Cristobal Tower. It's an excellent hotel, one of the best in Latin America.
I must say that the atmosphere is very relaxing which is what one is expecting after a day at the office. It has several little details that make your stay better.
The rooms are quite big and nice with luxury furniture. The view of the city of the upper floors is beautiful.
The breakfast is served in the top floor with a very nice view of the city and mountains.
In addition the restaurant downstairs is very good, although a little expensive.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just stayed here for 2 nites before leaving on a cruise and was very happy with this beautiful hotel. Staff was very accomodating, room was beautiful...a quiet respite in the heat of the season.
Only challenge was there wasn't a cool place to sit it in the afternoon and outside was hot and stifling.
Restaurant options were very limited. However a quick walk to wonderful dining right across the river made for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Finally I can actually say I have found the worst property in my life if travelling the globe. Alas having stayed at the property 4 months ago, there has been a dramatic, awful and dangerous fall in standards.

I will make it simple, please do NOT stay here. I will go into full rant shortly but for those looking for a summary please use alternative properties.

If you are coming to the are you may well have flown over-night and arrived early in the morning. Many hotels have people arrive and I feel people accept that a room may not be ready, however the opportunity to freshen up is always welcomed.

In checking in I was told the room was not ready which is fine, however I want then told that for a half day charge I could use a room? I declined as felt $150 USD for a shower was a little steep.

So yes I am actually paying over 300 US dollars per night so I rather expect something for it!

I was offered the fitness centre and went to get cleaned up, naturally there were no towels to be found, worrying as it was around 8:45 AM and only one person in the gym?

An attendant eventually took my proof that there were no showers to be found and went off to fine some.

I then had my shower in a rather unclean shower cubicle, with a very mouldy shower curtain.

I went off to work and arrived back around 4pm to hopefully get into my room, the check-in desk as just as incometent as it had been in the morning with slow, unresponsive actions.

He mumbled something about smoking and I questioned him, I was then told I had a smoking room? With an alergy to smoke, no desire to have my clothes smelling or to be burned alive do to some smoker falling asleep having a smoke before bed I requested a change of rooms.

At this point, and I have subsequently had it confirmed the hotel has a policy of NOT being able to guarantee a non smoking room?

For 2011 that is an incredible state of affair and anyone who is in the least bit concerned about smoking and the associated dangers MUST stay AWAY from this HOTEL.

Apart from telling me this , shrugging his shoulders and saying hotel it full, that was his level of helpfulness.

I noticed the name of the General Manager of the Hotel and asked to speak to him, apparently he is currently overseas. So I asked who is in charge of the hotel, the check-in did not know, but thought he might be able to find out.
For me people not knowing whos in charge in something like a hotel is a little worrying, what is theres an emergency?

I asked for the person in charge to contact me, they did not, I phoned from my room and was told that they would contact me, they did not.
Eventually I went back downstairs to the check-in and asked what was going on, still no sign of a manager at all.

In writing this some hours later there remains no management response.

To put things in context, on my last vist the bill was thousands of dollars, my Company has spent thousands of dollars at this property and my visit was due to be for three weeks, again at just over 300 US dollars per night.
So a significant amount of money has come their way yet the do not have any courtesy, professionalism or hospitality whatsoever.

Having a walk around to de stress I noticed the pool or lack thereof, as well as the outside bar etc. All of these are undergoing rennovation, I thought to take a few snaps for this review but was eventally stopped, with a slightly threatening manner from some individual who wanted to know what I was up to.

Getting back to the smoke stinking floor and room, I hoped for a coffee, there are no coffee making facilities in the property, naturally I can call down and have room service bring me cup of coffee?!

The hotel has told me that the hotel is full due to a conference, it is believed to end in two days. How stupid can an organisation be as to insult and put at risk future income for two days fo guaranteed revenue?

My travel assistance people were amazed by the absence of response, they had never heard of a hotel not being able to guarantee a non smoking room previously?
They are currently seeking alternative accomodation for me.

I believe this problems are totally down to the management and their inability to operate a property. As such I am very concerned when I hear there my be people in rooms in my floor smoking with the fire risks!

This place is not cheap, so please do NOT come here you may well be putting not only your vacation, abiitty to work at risk but also potentially your lives.

Yes that may sound dramatic but I have no cause to belive that this is not so. I will of course be having the proprty removed from the company's approved list.

And finally, as many of yo know, major hotel works can not be carried out without a load of noise, so thats something else you may need to contend with!

Enjoy the photos, I apparently too a few risks getting them.

Room Tip: The hotel does not guarantee any rooms so the tip, use a hotel that does!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Travellersblues
HowieBrown206, General Manager at San Cristobal Tower, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear TravellersBlues:

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about this property. I regret knowing we failed in making your stay a wonderful experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on this opportunity.

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel and please make sure that my Team and I will personally investigate the particular details on your review and check some of the facts stated as well.

I would love to have the chance to speak to you about your stay – please contact me anytime at my email howie.brown@starwoodhotels.com so that I can assist you further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Elegant, quiet, confortable. The ongoing renovation work did not cause me any trouble and, certainly, will make it better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HowieBrown206, General Manager at San Cristobal Tower, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Dear pf211;

Thank you for the nice review posted after your stay at San Cristóbal Tower.
We do our best efforts everyday to create good experiences for all our guests and I am very glad we met your expectations.

Cordially yours,

Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Just spent three nights in this excuse for a luxury tower. Dated room decor, light bulbs out and not replaced, poorly functioning and loud air conditioning, limited breakfasts, bad coffees, phone calls to ask if I want a turn down when the do not disturb sign is on my door, a gym heated to near 80 degrees, loud construction, concierge's that steer you to stores from which they are receiving kick backs together earned this scathing review. Don't be fooled into thinking even the San Cristobal Tower is anything but the lowest end Sheraton (more like a Four Points) and don't pay anything beyond the discounted rates they offer to conference goers (US $200 for the San Cristobal Tower and closer to $130 for a room in the hotel) or you will be getting fleeced. They are trying to position themselves as upmarket luxury but it just comes off as cheap and tired like a Hungarian luxury hotel in 1991. In addition to all the complaints above (and I've never written a review like this in my life), when I asked for a late checkout as I have a midnight flight and was willing to pay the same 1/2 room rate that I paid upon arrival at 7am I was told that if I stay past 6pm I have to pay a full night. Let's do the math, I arrive at 7am which is 8 hours before check-in and you bill me half a night. I depart more than six hours before check-out and you bill be for the full night. YOu could have had extra money and I could have had a shower and relaxes in the room but you refused. You could have demonstrated that despite the low quality food, the excuse for a happy hour on the 21st floor (five tables with two bottles of wine and a vat of meatballs in front of a TV), you actually cared about your guests. Instead, you earned this one and I hope it encourages guests to consider some of the new boutique hotels or true high end lodgings as opposed to down-market conference package hotels such as this one.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mwsk_h
Dear Mr. Mwsk_h:
I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay – please contact me anytime at howie.brown@sheraton.com so that we can assist you further.

Cordially,

Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

As typical for The Luxury Collection properties, the decor is old world class. The lobby staff are execeptional. Rooms well appointed, comfy with plasma tv and ipod stations. The is construction going on, so you enter via the Sheraton, which is connected. Ok the snob says..that also shared (not having to do with the construction), the bars, restaurants, spa/gym and business cent are shared with Sheration..so it gets crowded as more guests are being serviced by the same common areas and then The Luxury Collection property very much loses it's exclusive charm. Breakfast on the club floor was superb, wide range of foods. What I absolutely did not understand: the cocktail hours were in the restaurant foyer..so essentially Luke the waiting room...4 tables so good luck getting a seat. And on top of that ithere as no service, basically a staff member to clean up things and refresh..but that was always slow. Great disappointment here as with their wifi.....constantly in/out so you had to log back in every few moments, very annoying. There are great mountains views fro the club lounge and if you have a room facing them

Dont like how they try to gank you at any call you make...they charge you PER MINUTE for any toll free call, calling card call, or local call. I understand being charged a one time fee ut ot per minute...bit tasteless

The hotel is a bit isolated. About a 15 minute walk to Providencia and Metro, 10 minute cab
ride to Belle Vista. There is nothing in the immediate area of the hotel. In the connected
Sheraton hotel, Turiska has their offices, so you can book various tours with them

Overall beautiful hotel...needs to improve a couple of areas to make the stay on par with the decor and comfort of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends