“Very good downtown hotel”

Ranked #21 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersGold level
Bamako
“Very good downtown hotel”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here for a week on business. I did not find any fault with the hotel except for the check out, which was unacceptably slow. That is unfortunate since it is the last interaction of the guest with the hotel. Otherwise, I enjoyed staying here and would gladly do so again.

I arrived before midday on a Sunday when the hotel was full, but I got my room immediately. After 30 hours of travel I really appreciated that. The room was old style, wooden furniture, but quite OK. It was moderate for size. I was on 3rd floor and had a balcony overlooking the street. There was a double window system, which more or less eliminated the street noise, so I was never disturbed (with the windows open, the accelerating buses were quite loud). Bed was comfortable, work space OK but not great, wardrobe space fine, bathroom good, shower good. The A/C seemed to only have turbo-setting, so I used it as little as possible (it's an eco-friendly thing to do anyway).

Breakfast was good, reasonable variety, good coffee. the lounge bar was good, tasty food but limited choice and rather expensive. I ate at the Bristol restaurant on only one evening. Interesting menu, seems to be a bit hit and miss, but really good when it hits. Service throughout the hotel was excellent, friendly and helpful, and never overbearing. I am not going to argue with the other reviewers who said negative things, I will just say that I had a very different and positive experience. The lobby is very good, many seats and tables that are just right to either meet whoever you want to, or sit and relax. This is what hotels used to be like.

The fitness centre is OK. It is compact, with just a few machines in one room and reasonable selection of resistance machines in another room. There are not many users so it's fine. There is also an adjoining spa facility, I didn't use it so can't comment.

Internet is free in the hotel, there is one password for lobby/restaurant and another for the rooms. It works OK, but there are many routers and not all seem to work properly. If you seem to have connected but don't get internet, I suggest to delete that router from your network preferences and connect to another. Keep going until you find a reliable one, and then you're OK.

The hotel is downtown and almost all of the Ministries and government agencies are within 10 minutes walk, as are the original buildings of the two main universities (the main campuses are elsewhere). Cross the avenue and you hit many pedestrian-friendly shopping streets. There is a metro station close to the hotel, this is a good way to get around, but avoid rush hour if you can. Buy a 'Tarjeta BIP' - a smart card with stored value - at the Metro kiosk, and you can use it on metro or bus, it's a flat fare system, about a dollar per trip. The main bus routes also go by the hotel, but there is almost no information about them (even their website has nothing in English) so it's hard to use even though it is fast.

The church beside the hotel (San Francisco) is the oldest surviving church in Chile. It is not spectacular, but it is a tranquil place despite the traffic outside. It is a nice place to visit and just to sit for a while. As others have said, there are not many good restaurants nearby. Suggestion is to walk or take Metro (3 stops) to Baquedano, then about 5 minutes north from there is Bellavista, bohemian area with lots of restaurants.

In summary, I liked this place. It reminded me of a wonderful hotel in Seville where I stayed 25 years ago. Service was very good and I felt at home here. I will come back to Santiago in July, and I will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you ver much for your detailed opinion on our services. We apologize for the problems you had checking out.
We'll be waiting to have you back soon.

Best Regards,

Hotel Plaza San Francisco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Czech first
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have such a good laugh when we realized that all the soap dishes and toiletries tray are glued onto the counter. I was kind of relieved when I lifted up the brushing cup!
The altitude of the front desk staff are terrible.The only help I received when asking them to send out a post card is, " No, You need a stamp to send them out!" (Thanks a lot, I don't realize any part of the world you can send out mail without any postage) .Check in and out is slow especially you do not speak Spanish (They only have 2 men on duty who also work as the concierge.)At check out time I was asked,"Did you TAKE anything from the minibar" When I told him "NO" He picked up the phone and spoke to somebody on the phone in Spanish, obviously checking on the fridge . I was kept waiting for 5 minutes ,he did not say a thing to me during that time.LOUSY Customer Service!!
I was staying at a junior suite with a good view on a higher floor. However, I do not have the chance to enjoy the view since the drapes are dirty and the window sills are extremely dusty. The room size is decent but the configuration of the bed and furniture are quite awkward. The bed is not too comfortable but the worst thing is their comforter. The comforter is just a thin piece of foam wrapping in a bed sheet. Is that what they use in prison? The pillow is so round that you can double it as a soccer ball! The hotel is tired and dirty. During our 3 days stay, the pool and gym was closed for maintenance as well.
Although, this hotel is right at downtown, most of the attractions are still 10 minutes walk away.(Except SanFrancisco Church next door) I rather take the underground or taxi which is quite easy and convenient and stay in a better hotel somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dennisk32
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

We want to apologyze for all the problems you had in your stay. Every guest is important for us and so is your opinion, so we appreciate your comments and we will check our procedures inorder to give a better service.

HOtel Plaza San Francisco
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed in room 1005 for three nights during my exploration of Chile. The location was really great since it was close to downtown, and it was very convenient to the airport as well. The hotel is situated right by a Metro station so we didn't have any problems getting to different parts of the city.
The room itself was quite comfortable. We asked for two beds but ended up getting a triple so we had additional room/space. The room faced the side where we had a lovely view of the San Francisco church with the clock tower. The bathroom was really a pleasant surprise with great water pressure and the same level of hot water available during peak morning hours and evenings.
The breakfast selections were excellent and I loved the coffee with steamed milk that they served. The service was really friendly everywhere from the front desk, dining room to the porters.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your comment about our hotel. We are happy to know you had a good stay and enjoyed our country.

Best,

Hotel Plaza San Francisco.
Noosa Sunshine coast queensland
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We checken in on January 27 ,2012 to a superior room that was tired and shabby.The biggest disappointment was the poor attitude of the staff...Our view was a concrete patio and driveway and when I offer to pay additional for an upgrade I was told we were in the best room...It is obvious that there is a low moral with the staff as they were less than helpful throughout our stay...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
3 Thank ThehappyTwosome
MarketingHPSF, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear guest:

We are really sorry about what happened to you during your stay. Of course this is not the service we are used to offer. We apologize for all the problems you had and we are going to work on the service.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The hotel was very nice (really more 4* than 5*), our room was excellent (corner), the staff was very helpful. But if you are staying any more than two nights the location is not the most desirable. Walking distance to the downtown but the area around the hotel does not have a lot of restaurants that you can walk to.

Dear guest:
Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

Best,

Hotel Plaza San Francisco.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I was in room 105 and the traffic noise was louder than the tv at night.

Room was nice and comfortable, I just used hotel as a sort of base camp. Did not do anything but sleep there.

Room Tip: Get room in back
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comment. We are working to give our guest a better stay.

Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed here night of Jan 30,212. Overall this is a good hotel, small and boutique.
Service is good and restaurant is fine. Good location makes a difference. Rooms are small and need updating as does the entire hotel. Having stayed just one night hard to give a long review.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comment. We'll be working hard this year to improve and update our facilities and rooms in order to give our guest a better stay.