“A wondrous array of seafood”

Central Market (Mercado Central)
Book In Advance
US$280.00*
Private Full-Day Tour of Santiago
Ranked #66 of 519 things to do in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique architecture and street musicians accompany a plethora of dining options, where seafood is abundant in this South American food court.
Reviewed 9 March 2015

We explored the market and marveled at the amazing array of fish and seafood. We decided to have lunch there but how to decide on one the many places available? This man says his is the best, that man says his is better...we enjoyed the interactions and finally decided upon one which suited us very well

There are newer reviews for Central Market (Mercado Central)

Reviewed 8 March 2015

it used to be the central fish market, now the place has mainly overpriced restaurants, and souvenir shops.
You are better off going to the flower and produce market across the street where all the locals hang out.

1  Thank Kamal c
Reviewed 3 March 2015

I love markets & when I am traveling I search them out. I was so looking forward to this market - but it was a complete disappointment. The fish did not look great , the restaurants were all doing good business ,but I was not that impressed with what I saw on the customers plates. It was so crowded I was concerned about pickpockets & I have to say it was a little bit smelly. Not what I had expected.

Reviewed 24 February 2015

We had a 12-hour layover in Santiago en route from Lima Peru to Rio de Janeiro. We got in about 6 a.m. My plan was to just take a cab down to the Central Market which opened very early; grab breakfast there and then wander around the downtown area and see the sights in the area. That didn't really work out.

First, the market does open early, but many of the businesses were NOT yet open. If you wanted fresh fish, this was the place to be; but the restaurants were only beginning to set up. We tried wandering around the neighborhood for a while. There is a nice fruit and vegetable market right across the main street. But being Sunday, A LOT of the businesses, banks (we still needed cash!) etc., didn't seem to be opening up.

1  Thank AttorneyChrisCarr
Reviewed 22 February 2015

It's loud, it's crowded, it's warm, tables are close together, strolling singers in your face, wait staff working like mad--it's a zoo--combine this with some of the freshest and most beautiful seafood you will ever eat, bring friends and all this will make it one of the best lunch time experiences you will ever have! We ate chilean sea bass, salmon, and crab--Fantastic