“Shoppers galore”

Central Market (Mercado Central)
Book In Advance
US$280.00*
Private Full-Day Tour of Santiago
Ranked #66 of 519 things to do in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique architecture and street musicians accompany a plethora of dining options, where seafood is abundant in this South American food court.
Reviewed 8 April 2015

We took a private tour of Santiago and this was another stop. We went through the market and there was something to eat, drink, and buy at every turn!! Great selection of everything.

There are newer reviews for Central Market (Mercado Central)

Reviewed 4 April 2015

Walked thru this shopping area & enjoyed the display of fresh fish for sale & other food items. They had a nice area in center of market for dining, plus lots of small restaurants along the outer walls.

1  Thank Donna48315
Reviewed 4 April 2015

This was stop number two on our hop off hop on bus tour. As I was leaving the bus, the young ticket taker forwarned us about pick pockets and to hide my camera. Since I like to take pictures of food markets, this was a disappointment. We were here the Thursday before Easter and the place was packed. Particularly the fish market. The market itself rings an area that is filled with restaurants. The kind of restaurants with hawkers. We fought our way through the throngs with me trying to surrepticiously take pictures. I was unimpressed with the market and its wares. The fish I did see did look extremely fresh and beautiful. Be careful going here.

Reviewed 4 April 2015

Absolutely packed with customers buying seafood but what an experience. Half the population of Santiago seemed like they were there for the biggest range of fish I think I've ever seen in one place. Right in the middle was a range of restaurants offering almost any seafood meal you heart could desire.
What and experience

Reviewed 31 March 2015

The tourist guides tell you to visit the central market, but this is much more aimed at tourists than the HUGE fruit market not far away. As well as fruit, vegetables, nuts, herbs etc there is a mass of meat stalls selling more meat cuts than you will have ever seen. There are many street food stalls where you can get an authentic lunch very cheaply. Not aimed for tourists - see the market that the locals visit. We really enjoyed it.

3  Thank Frissels