“Great place for food shopping and a meal”

Central Market (Mercado Central)
Book In Advance
US$280.00*
Private Full-Day Tour of Santiago
Ranked #66 of 519 things to do in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique architecture and street musicians accompany a plethora of dining options, where seafood is abundant in this South American food court.
Reviewed 17 April 2015

It does smell like fish, but that's because there are fresh fish there. Not in a bad way smell.

The area outside is bustling and has many tourists (there is a tour company stop outside) as well as street vendors. Area felt safe. As in any crowd in any city, watch out for pickpockets.

Inside, it's old school market. Cast iron columns and glass frames for the high up windows. Fresh fruits, veggies, and fish.

There are a couple of restaurants inside one of which I ate and will review. Also a great place to people watch.

There are newer reviews for Central Market (Mercado Central)

Reviewed 15 April 2015

Within Mercado Central there used to be several restaurants, but Donde Augusto in an acquisition frenzy purchased most of the competition. I love going to visit the place for the architecture and for the fish markets around the market, but the staff keeps bothering one in multiple languages to get you seated in one of their restaurants. I tried Donde Augusto once and I will not be back for food. But I will still visit the market regularly to walk around on my way to the Vega Central.

1  Thank MauricioBabilonia
Reviewed 8 April 2015

We took a private tour of Santiago and this was another stop. We went through the market and there was something to eat, drink, and buy at every turn!! Great selection of everything.

Reviewed 4 April 2015

Walked thru this shopping area & enjoyed the display of fresh fish for sale & other food items. They had a nice area in center of market for dining, plus lots of small restaurants along the outer walls.

1  Thank Donna48315
Reviewed 4 April 2015

This was stop number two on our hop off hop on bus tour. As I was leaving the bus, the young ticket taker forwarned us about pick pockets and to hide my camera. Since I like to take pictures of food markets, this was a disappointment. We were here the Thursday before Easter and the place was packed. Particularly the fish market. The market itself rings an area that is filled with restaurants. The kind of restaurants with hawkers. We fought our way through the throngs with me trying to surrepticiously take pictures. I was unimpressed with the market and its wares. The fish I did see did look extremely fresh and beautiful. Be careful going here.