“A must see...”
Review of Santiago

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Lewisville, Texas
14 helpful votes
“A must see...”
Reviewed 24 February 2006

My wife lives and grew up in Santiago. She is now in the Providencia area and worked in Las Condes before, so these are the areas I have seen most. In the two years we have been together I have had a chance to see it several times. A wonderful selection of hotels. Many beautiful places to see in the city. Cerro San Cristobal and Cerro Santa Lucia have wonderful views of the city. Cerro Santa Lucia is rich in history and amazing also(see episode 2 of Amazing Race 7). Cerro San Cristobal is in the center of the city and offers a breathtaking view. There is a gondola that goes up or you can ride in the fenicular that runs up the side of the mountain. The Virgin Mary awaits you at the top overlooking the city. Be sure to see the church at the top also(special for me because this is where our rings were blessed). Many great museums. An excellent public transportation system allows access to most of the city and surrounding areas at low cost. Recently many new buses were added to the fleet and the subway cars are fairly new and clean also(though both get busy at rush hour). It is nice to see someone give up their seat to a woman or older person that would benefit more from it. This is something that endears me to these people. I have been around the city on foot quite a bit and have never felt in danger(and I have been lost a few times). And, with reddish hair and blue eyes I am obviously not from around there. The food is great. With much European lineage there is some excellent cuisine here. I have had good italian, mexican, and chinese food. But you can also have Dominos or McDonalds if you want. The drink in Chile is Pisco or wine(both produced by grapes). Any place you go will probably make an excellent pisco sour. I recommend them highly. Nightlife is surprising good. Big fan of dance music. Been to Las Urracas and it was a small club, but good. Have been to a few other but the names escape me. All three have been very good though. I was surprised at the club on my last trip had to pay $8 to get in "after" midnight. But, that did come with a free drink. "Pisco sour please!" We have returned to her apartment very late and she never gave any indication that we were not safe in a taxi. Viña del Mar/Valpraiso is to the west through the wine country and it is easy to catch a bus to these. Viña is beautiful. Houses set into the hillside that look out to the ocean. Casinos. Great seafood. I have not had a chance to ski in Chile but I cannot wait. Less than an hour from Santiago to the nearest skiing. My other experience was Easter Island. A five hour flight from Santiago lands you in the middle of the ocean in one of the most beautiful settings anywhere. See the volcano crater. See the Moai factory on the far side of the island. How did those get all the way across the island. Go see "Rapa Nui" at the small hotel/bar that shows it. The story is not exactly all true, but it definitely makes you realize where you are and what happened there. If you do not know of Easter Island rent "Rapa Nui" at your local video store. The restaurants are good. Taxis are around. We were there during the telethon held in Chile each year. What a party this was. I heard the scuba was great also. Overall, I think all of Chile I have seen is beautiful and I recommend.

14 Thank txsnowman70

Been to Santiago? Share your experiences!