“Easy going, basic hostel. Family atmosphere. Fast Wi-Fi. Good value.”

Hostel Galapagos Natural Life
Ranked #47 of 296 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I stayed here for 3 nights during my solo bicycle tour through Colombia and Ecuador. I speak Spanish and was therefore able to communicate well with my hosts. (The adult daughter Viviana spoke English).

This hostal was next to the Blue House, which had received good reviews and which I intended visiting. I decided to visit this one first. I liked the family (Luz, Carlos and Viviana) and they offered me a spacious private room (#2) with private bathroom and 2 beds for $13. Normal price was $15. This included a hot breakfast. This price was about half the price at the Blue House and at other similar hostals in Quito. I ended up staying 3 nights (my entire stay in Quito). I enjoyed my stay.

Pluses
It was peaceful and the family were easy-going. They had a large storeroom for keeping my bike and other guests’ luggage while away on tour. The Wi-Fi was fast even at night – as fast as mine in Seattle. The free breakfast consisted of instant coffee with water or warm milk, plus hot cocoa if desired, banana, eggs to order, several slices of toast, and a fruit juice. Quite good. My on-demand hot shower was hot, provided I kept the flow to a minimum. A soap dispenser was provided. My bed had 4 soft pillows and several thick blankets. There were a half dozen hooks for hanging my clothes, plus extra shelf space.

500 m to the NE was a SuperMaxi supermarket (open 09h30-20h00 daily) which had a good selection. Viviana spoke English, and was helpful with a free city map, on which she marked various places of interest. She took the time to print out the names of each place, which was appreciated.

The area seemed safe. I saw no suspicious-looking characters. There were many other hostals in the area.

Minuses
Wi-Fi signal was strong in the dining room, but weaker in my room, where the internet was slower. I lacked a desk in my room, so I used my laptop in the during room. Not as convenient, but it had the plus of ensuring that I socialized more with guests. This I enjoyed.

As a special concession, I was allowed to hand-wash my clothes in a bucket and hang these on a line out back. This I prefer to do. Normally, they prefer folk to have someone do this, for a small fee, using washers and driers. I prefer not to waste electricity and water on my few cycling clothes.

Breakfast hours were 08h30-10h30 (-0930 on Sundays). Rather late for a cyclist like me, who likes to be on the road by 06h00- 06h30.

The hostal was located about 4 km NE of the Old City, which may not be convenient for some folk. I was fine with this, as I had my bike, and there were bike lanes on several main roads.

Summary
The room was good value. I would stay there again.

My rating: 4/5. Location as measured with my GPS:
-0.20427, -78.49073

Room Tip: Room #2 was spacious and peaceful.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 April 2017

We arrived to the hostel in the evening after returning from the Galapagos very tired. I had corresponded directly with the hostel to arrange our reservation, and had a confirmation email. When we arrived, they did not have our reservation on the calendar and until I could locate the confirmation the staff were not especially welcoming of us as guests. The room we booked was not available, though they did find another option for us for the night. There was plenty of hot water and the beds were comfortable. We were asked to purchase bottled water as the tap is not potable and the hostel doesn't offer filtered water. We were given good tips on restaurants nearby by the gentleman.The breakfast the next morning was basic and minimal, not to the description on the website. When we asked for seconds for an item we were told there would be an additional charge. The way it was presented really put a sour note on us, especially since not everyone in the family opted to have breakfast. I was really hoping for a better experience as friends of ours recommended this place.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2016

The room was ok, clean and big enough for the four of us. Location very good. But the lady makes all the difference with the others places nearby, she is helpful and really friendly. Recommended for people who prefer to speak spanish.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2016

The hostal is in a very good position, the staff is very helpful and the rooms are great for the price. Just an example of the great attention to the customers the staff has: my airline delivered my lost luggage at 4 AM and the director of the hostel woke up to receive it!
Will always come back to this hostal when passing by Quito.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2016

Good location, friendly and helpful owners and staff, great breakfast, and safe.
Internet and hot water 24 h.you can notice that the staff are doing all their best all the time. spacial thanks to Rodrigo that recommended us a lot of things to do and see.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

For the location and price, this is a very nice hostel. Service and breakfast are impeccable (getting actual milk in a hot chocolate is fairly unusual) and being a family-run business the whole place is all the more friendlier.
We also used the agency next door (same name) to book our trip to the Galapagos

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

I was back home in quito.
The room was clean and comfy , hot water and great braekfest
And a good location in the town
And most important Los the owner was just AMAZING felt like my mom taking care of me

Very very very recommended