“Super friendly owners”

Ranked #51 of 231 Quito B&B and Inns
Lakeside, California
“Super friendly owners”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here 2 nights, once before leaving for the US, and the other, coming back from the US. Both times I managed to unfortunately get in around 2AM and the staff could not have been any more accommodating. Breakfast was delicious and I highly recommend it as it is close to the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jetskijo
Francesco T, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostal Isla Isabela, responded to this review, 24 January 2017
Reviewing the old comments and I realize that there are some that for some reason were not answered in time. I want them to know that we like to know what they thought about us in the moment and we want them to be well.
regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Given the traffic and taxis around Quito, being close to the airport the night before departure was very helpful. The staff is friendly and accommodating. However, the bed was not the most comfortable, the walls were not highly sound-proof, and our hot water wasn't working. We're not sorry we stayed there, but for an extended stay in Quito, consider other places nearer the city center.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I recently travelled to Ecuador for a short vacation. On my return journey, I had a 10 hour overnight layover at the Quito Airport and chose to stay overnight at Hostal Isla Isabela instead of hanging out at the airport for 10 hours.

The hostal is located in a vintage mid-century modern house, about a four-minute drive from the airport, in a seemingly safe residential neighborhood. As I walked around in the neighborhood I noticed that there were several bars and restaurants nearby.

I stayed in a single room with an ensuite bathroom. The hostal is close to the airport, so there was some plane noise that could be heard from the room. My biggest disappointment in the property was actually the physical condition of the house. While it was generally clean, parts of it seemed to be in disrepair and in need of paint. In my room, there were tiles missing in the floor, a hole in the bathroom wall covered with tape, and a bathroom cabinet with the door smashed in. On a positive note, I did have plenty of hot water in the bathroom.

I generally got the impression the house had not been updated at all since it was built in the 1950's or 60's. It reminded me very much of the set of “Bewitched” or the “Dick Van Dyke show” I was unable to charge my notebook as the electrical outlets were very old and not compatible with American plugs (the only place in Ecuador I encountered this). I was also unable to connect to the wireless internet (even with the password) that is supposedly available at the hostal.

That staff I encountered at the hostal were fine. Francisco, the manager, speaks good English and gave me great advice on dining spots in the neighborhood and made sure that were transportation arrangements were made to return to the airport the next day. The night clerk, I did not get his name, was also helpful. He made sure I was up in time to catch my flight the next morning.

FINAL VERDICT:
The hostal was fine for what I used it (overnight layover) for as there are really not any better choices near the airport. If you do not need to be near the airport, however, there are plenty of places in Quito that have more convenient locations and provide better accommodations at a similar price point ($30 per night). I probably would not stay there for more than one-night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank dls251
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 November 2011

A wonderful bed and breakfast. Very close to the airport, attentive, friendly service and a delicious breakfast. The free airport pickup at any hour of the day was wonderful. We felt very welcomed and comfortable here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
denver, Co
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Isla Isabela is a quaint bed-and-breakfast (hostal) for $30/night per person, including complimentary internet on a computer in the lobby and a plated breakfast each morning of eggs, fresh fruit, fresh fruit juices such as tree tomato/papaya/mango, and coffee/tea.

I was impressed with the first-class staff who seem to do everything they can to make you feel at home, like family. The owner greets you with a warm smile as you enter the building protected by security gate. I felt comfortable staying as a single female traveler. The streets in this area are all named after the Galapagos Islands and is mostly residential. And, on Sundays the main thoroughfare closes down for bicycling & fitness activities--Quito is a beautiful place!

The 10 guest rooms are basic with a few nice touches, such as a phone, a closet, a private bathroom, windows that open, and a wall-mounted TV with remote.

The noise of the airplanes flying by was loud during the day, but stopped at night. I hear that the airport is being moved out of the city. It seemed to be a decent location, although a bit out of the way for travelers may prefer to stay in the midst of the action in the Old City or Modern City. But, you're just a $2 cab ride away from anywhere in the city. I will stay here again and recommend this hotel to travelers visiting Quito!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank traveler12324
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We decided to stay at Hostal Isla Isabela for 1 night. We arrived late on our international flight and left early the next morning for the Galapagos. Therefore, we wanted a hotel close to the airport. The airport pickup was great. A very sweet woman from the Hotel was there to pick us up even though it took forever for us to get through immigration and customs. The hotel is close to the airport. The rooms were a bit outdated and the street noise was quite loud. There was a bar just down the road that played loud music late into the night. The room was fairly clean. There were a couple of hairs on the bed and in the shower that were not ours. The breakfast was tasty, fresh fruit and croissants. I recommend this hotel for 1 night, but not longer.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldtraveller2801
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We booked online and they were there to pick us up at the airport. The room was very clean and comfortable. The only downside was the street noise on the weekend, but I think you would get that in most places. They provided us with transport to the airport at an unreasonable early hour for our departure flight, and also to and from the airport for our flight to the Galapagos Islands. We had a wonderful stay there and anything we needed they were able to provide or answer questions for us about anything. They also had nice hot water, always a plus! Great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple