“Super hospitable and a great place to stay”
Review of Hostel Revolution

and 1 more site!
Hostel Revolution
Ranked #9 of 257 Speciality Lodging in Quito
Alexandria, Virginia
“Super hospitable and a great place to stay”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The guys who run this hostel are amazing. They helped me with my luggage (because the rooms are up two flights of stairs). They let us store extra luggage as we left to go to the Amazon, then to Galapagos, during our stay here.
It was fun to hang out in their little "bar", and boy the beers are cheap. Our group practically took over the whole place, which worked well for us, but they do have lockable storage in the rooms, should you not have the whole room for your group.
There is free wi-fi, which was awesome. There are plenty of showers, and toilets, which are clean.
There is a rooftop terrace that is really nice and looks out over the city. The nice thing about the altitude in Quito is no mosquitos. Yay!
The location was fine for us. There is a laundry down the street that delivers your clean clothes to the hostel. There is a main drag for restaurants just a block away. It was safe, and fairly quiet. But get your walking shoes on, because everything is on a hill in Quito.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Great Northwest
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We had a reservation at Hostel Revolution, but decided not to stay. As a couple, the rooms are not a good value. It's just a room, no bath or towels, and in March, it was freezing (no heater). We instead went to Hostal Chicago up the street, which for the same price included an ensuite bath, all linens, even a TV (if you require such things). Based on other hostals we stayed at around the city (Old & New Town), Hostal Revolution is not priced well for couples- more for singles.

The hostel itself is clean and well kept, and in a good Old Town location, but given the price point I wouldn't recommend it.
Also, I have reservations about the owner- I have never had a business owner email me personally with an angry rebuttal to a review. So there's that.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cool_jonez
HostelRevolution, Owner at Hostel Revolution, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Apart from containing incorrect information, (we do provide towels, linens and extra blankets the climate is never "freezing" in Quito), this review omits important facts. What the reviewer does not state is that she booked a private room with SHARED bathroom on hostelworld. Upon arriving she complained that she booked a room with a private bathroom, I explained to her to look at her reservation online to verify to show she only booked a room with shared bath, in fact we do not have rooms with private bath! she made the mistake but wanted to cancel at the last minute, I explained that hostelworld cancellations require 24 hr notice or the first night will have to be charged. This is simply to cover our loss because we do not have enough time to sell the bed.
The guest got visibly angry and upset about this so I told her in the end that I would rather her be happy and said she could leave with no charge whatsoever even though we lost income on the room!. The guest used our internet and facilities free of charge for 2 hours and then angrily left without apology or even a thankyou for the free use of our facilities! Her partner in contrast actually apologized for their error in booking admitting it was their mistake and not ours. After viewing her review I wrote a very polite letter explaining that I believed it was unfair of her to write a negative review without mentioning her own error. I did not receive any response.

The facts are, the guest made a mistake on her booking, blamed us, we kindly let her cancel last minute free of charge which meant we lost income on the vacant room, let her use our facilities for free and in return receive a mostly negative review which doesn’t include the relevant facts and makes some inaccurate statements about our facilities.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Hostel Revolution isn't for everyone as their website states. It's not in La Mariscal, it's not a party hostel, and it's not a hotel. If you're looking for a chilled, comfortable, modern hostel, where you can meet awesome travellers, cook your own meals, hangout and watch the city go by from the rooftop terrace than this place may be for you. The computers are free, the wifi works throughout the entire hostel. The kitchen is huge, has an oven, and all the necessary utensils to cook up a good meal. If you want to go out, there are a few great restaurants nearby that are really cheap with home made food. We found this great Ecuadorian restaurant called El Meson around the corner on Columbia (3blocks from the hostel to the left if you're heading down the hill, look for the green sign on the side of the door) Breakfast and lunch are $1.75 and the lunch specials change everyday. If you go for Chinese, go to the second place on Columbia, with the red Chinese lantern in the window (its better and less greasy than the Cantonese place on the corner). The hostel is located in the historic district which is perfect if you're looking to see the sights. The hostel is also about a 20 minute walk to La Ronda, which is a fantastic street to visit on weekend nights and a much better (and much much safer) option to La Mariscal which is almost exclusively filled with foreign owned bars.

• Stayed February 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Great little hostel in Quito, better value for money than the much busier (and dirtier) Secret Garden. Matt was pretty helpful and always present in the reception area.

The rooms are clean and airy, and the place is very quiet at night. The kitchen is very handy as, depending on how long you stay in Ecuador, you are going to want to prepare some food for yourself.

This place is somewhere we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights after diving the Galapagos, giving me a chance to see the Andes for myself before continuing onto Belize. Unfortunately one of my full days in Quito coincided with the national census day, meaning no one was allowed on the street for the day – this allowed me to surf the net & meet other travellers.

I had the double private room, which was on the third level at the top of the stairs, with a bedside table & lamp, wardrobe (with lockable drawer) & QS bed. No air conditioner or fan – just a window, which was sufficient. Although I stayed in late November, it was really cold & I was disappointed there were no heating amenities anywhere communal or in the rooms. There were two power points, but I had a power board. The linen was clean & the bed comfortable. It was so cold in Quito at night, I was freezing despite 2 blankets on my bed. Luckily, the wardrobe in the third level foyer is full of blankets, so I took an extra 3 to keep me warm at night. There was some noise from the road & some from other guests at night – luckily I sleep with ear plugs. The bathrooms are communal (not segregated to gender). There were 4 shower stalls & 3 toilet cubicles on my level – with more on the second floor. The shower stalls had a shower curtain & hooks on the back of the door – which was enough. The water pressure was good & but the temperature was either very hot or stone cold (I had 2 piping hot showers & 2 stone cold showers). No towels supplied – so make sure you BYO.

Located in old-town Quito where surrounding buildings are being restored, the place is four levels with a small wooden windy staircase – the first floor is privately occupied, with rooms on the second & third floors. Reception/bar is on the second floor, as too is a kitchen & bathrooms. There are additional bathrooms on the third floor, along with a TV room (with HEAPS of dvds). The terrace is on the top level. The owner/manager couple Matt (Australian) & Maria (Ecuadorian), along with their cocker spaniel Shakira all reside on site (on the second floor). Matt bought the place as two single storey apartments & converted it into its current state four years ago. There is free wifi available & an additional 2 computers on the third floor if you don’t have your own laptop. Funnily enough, I had no mobile phone reception. There is no laundry service at the hostel but there are two Laundromats within a short walk. It cost me US$3.50 to get a large load of washing done & dried. Upon arrival, Matt will present you a two-sided map: one side has broader Quito & the other side is an invaluable mud-map of the surrounding blocks to the hostel & what services(laundry/ATM/buses/supermarkets)/large variety of restaurants are available close by. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils however not big enough for more than 2 people to prepare a meal. Luggage storage is available if you have to check out but have a late flight.

While in Quito, I walked a loop of the must-see buildings at Plaza Grande (make sure you get to Inglesia de La Compania de Jesus US$3 entry, well worth it) then took a taxi (US$6) to El Panecillo (it is unsafe to walk there from town – once there, for US$1 you can go up into the base of the statute of the Virgen de El Panecillo & enjoy the stunning views over Quito) & there are also little stalls there to buy souvenirs. Then I took a taxi (US$6) to Itchimbia, where there was a book fair. You can walk the ground & again, enjoy the view over Quito. Closer to the accommodation is Parque Alameda with some statues & the observatory which unfortunately you cannot enter. As I was short on time, I took a taxi (US$30 return & the driver waited for me, a trip 35mins each way – as opposed to 1.5-2hrs by bus each way @ US$0.50) to el Mitad del Mundo. Entry to Mitad del Mundo was US$2 with a further similar entry fee to each of the ‘museums’ (more like displays). I would recommend the entry to the actual monument museum (ethnographic museum) for US$3 as you can go into the monument lookout & there is a viewing platform. Although I didn’t have time, from the Mitad del Mundo, there is a 1hr tour to Pululahua with Calimatours for US$2, which takes you a nearby volcano crater where 100 families continue to live. The taxi fare from the airport was US$8 as it was peak hour. The return taxi fare to the airport was US$5.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank aussie_shark_girl
HostelRevolution, Owner at Hostel Revolution, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Hi thanks for the comprehensive review. Just to clarify towels have always been provided on request and are free of charge. Very occasionally the flame on the gas hot water heater will go out due to a pressure change with the high pressure system. If it happens and it is not common it is a matter of just turning the hot tap off and on again to relight the flame. Sorry that you were cold, it is not common to have heating in most hostels as Quito has a mild climate between 10-20 degrees celsius (50-68 fh), coming from a hot Australian outback town I guess it is very cold for you though! we do have extra blankets however as noted. regards,
Matt - owner
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We stayed at the Hostal Revolution for the first nights of our RTW trip, and it was a relief to stay somewhere that felt safe. The hostal was clean, kitchen well equipped (for a hostal!) and the bar area comfortable. The roof terrace was very nice, especially for a happy hour beer and chat. We stayed in the double room which was fine, and we were not disturbed by street noise or other guests. Location good for expolring both old town and getting to Mariscal. We were very jetlagged (asleep by 9.30pm) so didn't really get to know the other guests - it seemed like it would be a fun place if you made the effort. Matt was very helpful and gave us good advice for staying safe on buses, as well as a map of the local area. We’d stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JB1263
Banff, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We spent 6 nights here, and absolutely loved it!

This is a small hostel located within the historical centre of Quito - 15 minutes walk to the main square, and 15 minutes from the Mariscal, or gringoland. Dorms and Privates are both good value ($7.50/night and $10/night) - they don't include breakfast, but there's an awesome kitchen to cook your own, or cheap eateries within a couple of minutes walk.
Matt is a great host - he's full of knowledge about the town, and runs a lovely, small hostel.
This isn't the place to come if you want to have debauched theme parties, but if you want to have interesting conversations in the small reasonably-priced bar, and recharge your batteries, it's the perfect place!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple