“Best in old town quito.”

Hostal Quito Cultural
Ranked #20 of 247 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I´ve stayed here on two different occasions. After a long bus trip I arrived late and there were not any restaurants open. The owner of the hotel was nice enough to make me a small dinner with tea and juice at 11pm. The rooms and beds are very clean, there is also hot water and nice showers. The staff is exceptionally friendly , the hotel is quality, the location is perfect, and the price is right. Therefore, this is the best place to stay in Quito.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 March 2012

GOOD POINTS:

Location, safety, adequate breakfast, though probably small for a man, airport pick up service, brought my luggage up and down the stairs, a very good shower with plenty of hot water, which is not frequent in Ecuador.

Location is unbeatable - 2 blocks from the Presidential Palace- Independence Square. Given that the location, though beautiful, is not particularly safe in the evening, just as the rest of the Quito Center, security is very important. And the place IS secure, 24 hrs desk operation, the owners family live on premises and take good care for their place. The breakfast is included and quite nice, though, for a man - 1 piece of bread, one small piece of cheese, and a small omelet is not enough. It is the smallest breakfast I had served in Ecuador. As per my request, I was met at the airport by a man with the sign bearing my name (however see below)

NOT SO GOOD & DOWNRIGHT BAD:

I had to wait for over 1 hr at the airport, because the other hostal client was taking care of his lost luggage. Nobody asked if this is what I wanted after a transatlantic flight (well, I did not).

I booked a double room for single use. However, the first room Alicia showed me was a dormitory with 7 or 8 beds. When I told her that this was totally unacceptable, she was not pleased, nor did she hide her displeasure. The second room she showed me was for 3 people. She insisted that she had no other rooms, even though the keys on the board showed otherwise. She promised that she will give me another room in the morning, but clearly forgot about it. The room, with two beds - one double, one single, had no other free space. The mattress not the most comfortable one. The noise on the street - they were repairing a broken trolley car did not let me sleep for a minute. The worst parts of my stay:
1. They had no drinking water (and the tap water in Quito is not for drinking). I was dehydrated and a had a terrible cramps. When I called them for water, they were not please and showed it in every possible way right there, and for 2 days after. My apologies the next morning fell on the deaf ears.
2. DISGUSTING towel with huge black stains was given as a bath towel. The next morning, I left it in the shower, wet. When I came back, I found it hanging on the shower door to dry, no clean towels.
3. No WI-FI in the room. Two computers in the hall do not have a stable Internet connection.
4. Alicia refused to print, even though I offered to pay for that service, a 3 line letter. (But her son, later on did just that) ( Hasten to add that Alicia's son Juan was very pleasant and helpful in every possible way, quite unlike her and her daughter, who softened up only by the time I was paying)

RECOMMENDATION:
Recommending this hostal to those, for whom price and safety are important. If safety is of secondary concern, stay at the Hostal La Ronda (see my review of it)

Room Tip: other reviewers say that the 3-rd floor is best, but I stayed on the 2-nd floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank movingtoEcuador
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is what Alicia (the owner) of Hostal Quito Cultural said to me after I had been there for a few days. And she meant it! Alicia and her staff make you feel welcome. When we were there, beautiful flowers appeared in our room one day. Alicia is relaxed about using her telephone and making water for tea. She loves to talk about life and Ecuador. While we were there, other guests came from South America, Europe and the US. That made for interesting breakfast conversations. This wonderful place located in the Historical Center of Quito which makes it easy to visit the Historical Center. Disfrute!

Room Tip: If you stay at Hostel Quito Cultural, I suggest that you stay on the 3rd floor where there are wonde...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed 3 nights in this place and the location was unbeatable. The room although not huge was clean and quiite comfortable with plenty of hot water, a comfortable bed and the staff were friendly and helpful. The best part is the location, within a few minutes you can be at any of the great plazas, cathedrals or museums in the Historic District. We paid $56 per night which included breakfast for 2 and were quite pleased and would definately recommend this place

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pia T
Reviewed 5 March 2012

A beautiful colonial building just a couple of blocks from the center of the old town. The rooms are nicely done, very clean and comfortable. Lovely balconies and nice views of the city. They even put fresh flowers in the room and made dinner for us after a long day of air travel. The staff is very friendly and helpful with information, safety advice and helped arrange transportation to our next destination. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

we had a large room in this beautiful colonial building. It is well located near a pedestrian street (Chile) not far from the Plaza de la Independencia where there are churches, museums, restaurants and shops. During the day there are crowds everywhere but like most of Quito not recommended at night. Breakfast was included and delicious. Two computers were available to guests. Good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MajaMontreal
Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel is in a great location on Old Town, just a few blocks from the Plaza Grande and one block from a trolley stop. The staff is friendly and very helpful, and the rooms are spotless. The views from the third floor balcony and hammocks are wonderful. The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants. They arranged for someone to pick me up at the airport at 1:00 AM. They have a secure storage area for luggage, if you will be leaving a bag in Quito. I left a suitcase here for three weeks, and it was not a problem. Breakfast is included in the price (coffee, fresh juice, eggs, bread, jam). They sell other items, including bottled water, all day.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo