“Loved the JW Marriott Quito”

JW Marriott Hotel Quito
Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed 18 June 2011

This is an absolutely wonderful hotel for both business and pleasure. I stayed here twice in March and would not hesitate to stay here again on any future trip to Quito. I stayed on the Executive Level and took full use of the Executive Lounge. There is a wonderful atrium bar and flowers throughout the hotel. The front desk staff was excellent and extremely helpful. This is a great base hotel for exploring this part of Ecuador.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BlueMarlinDave

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We stayed here as part of our Celebrity Galapagos cruise package. The room was clean and comfortable. There was a varied selection at breakfast, made to order eggs, lots of fruits, pastries, and a few local dishes. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ylc25
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We were on a Celebrity Cruise and were housed there for two nights before and one night after our Galapagos tour. It was wonderful. Needed just a bite to eat. My wife and I split a club sandwich at the restaurant, no problem.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel several years ago when it was fairly new and had a wonderful visit at that time. Stayed here again in May 2011 as part of the pre-cruise package with Celebrity Xpedition (Galapagos cruise). Hotel is still first class and highly recommended. Beaufiful hotel and large rooms, lots of roses and beautiful flowers everywhere; staff very accommodating. Great breakfast buffet. Would recommend this hotel and will stay here again when returning to Quito.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2011

My Family lived here last month.The staff are very friendly and helpfulThe gym and pool are very nice, the rooms are fantastic,large and comfortable.We stay at Executive Room.
Highly Recommend

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2011

My friend and I are women in our sixties. We felt perfectly safe staying at this hotel. The concierge was able to arrange several tours for us which were great. Very professional. We had massages at the spa and many great meals in hotel restaurants. On Good Friday, which is a holiday in Quito, we got stranded and were unable to get a cab. We called the hotel and they sent a car to pick us up. The hotel is beautiful and is decorated throughout with fresh roses.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank 1227Honey
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This was my first trip to Ecuador and I relied heavily on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor to help me plan the entire trip. This was a vacation that started with 4 nights in Quito to tour the sights and acclimate to the altitude before moving on to other parts of the country. After much research on hotels in Quito, I decided on the JW Marriott. Initially I was leaning toward wanting a hotel in Quito that was local and different. I travel frequently for work and am generally loyal to the Marriott hotel family. After reading various reviews of the non-chain hotels and weighing the options, I decided to be conservative and go with a known entity for my first nights in a new country. Since I’d be arriving late at night I also wanted a hotel with a well staffed front desk that could handle my late arrival check-in. The clincher was when I was able to book a special package deal of buy 3 nights get the 4th night free. With the special package, the per-night rate came to under $130 which seemed very reasonable for a hotel of this high quality. I’ve stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world and the Quito JW Marriott could be the nicest I’ve stayed at. The room was exactly what I expected from a Marriott – very comfortable beds, exceptionally clean, well lit and tastefully furnished. The bathroom was slightly larger than most Marriotts with a separate Jacuzzi tub and walk in shower stall. Overall the room quality was excellent. We didn’t eat at the restaurants in the hotel, but they appeared nice. Also, I didn’t use the pool or spa facilities, but they looked very inviting. As a Platinum level Marriott Rewards member I had access to the Concierge Lounge which was certainly the nicest of any Marriott I have ever been to. At breakfast the food choices were exceptional with a good mix of local flavors and traditional American breakfast offerings. This was the only concierge lounge I’ve been to that offered fresh made to order omelets. They were great!!! The view from the top floor lounge was very relaxing. The evening hors d’orves were also exceptional and on some nights could substitute for a light meal (although the desserts were disappointingly just packaged cookies). The lounge was open over the entire weekend (a great bonus since many business oriented Marriotts close their lounge over weekends). The lobby is under a bright atrium. Our room looked out into the atrium which also provided an extra buffer against outside noise. Until the new Quito airport is opened, expect to hear airplane noise no matter where you are in the city. I wear earplugs at night, but at a different Quito hotel my friend had problems with the noise from planes and car alarms. Besides a nice lobby, the hotel has a business center with helpful tour desk. There are a few shops, a coffee shop, and an ATM machine inside a small shopping area attached to the hotel lobby that can be reached without going outside. Having the ATM there was very convenient. For taxis, the hotel contracts out with a transportation service. Their prices for a wide range of destinations within Quito and also to cities hours away are clearly posted in the back seats and although they are more expensive than regular taxis they are very clean and the drivers are very professional. One day we decided to save a few bucks and walk down Amazonas Ave to hail a cab off the street. After a few minutes of waiting and trying, we did eventually get a cab to stop for us. However, we got a young inexperienced driver that took us to the wrong location even after I questioned him several times about it. (Apparently he didn’t know that the Museo Nacional del Banco Central is at the Casa de la Cultura. Instead he took us to the Banco Central main building a few blocks from the Basilica.) Sometimes it’s not worth trying to save a few bucks and that was one. The hotel is in a convenient location with several restaurants and a great SuperMaxi supermarket within a short walk of a few blocks. The SuperMaxi supermarket on LaNina is very impressive (larger and cleaner than most US supermarkets) and has anything you could possibly want at a supermarket (great for buying bottled water and snacks – even has a great wine selection). During the day the neighborhood around the hotel felt very safe and there was plenty of other pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks to offer a secure feeling. At night we only ventured 2-3 blocks away but still had no problems. The nearby restaurant “La Casa de mi Abuela” on Juan Leon Mera and La Nina is very close to the hotel and served up great steaks and an impressive wine list at very reasonable prices. The short walk of less than two blocks back to the hotel was not a problem at night since the street is well travelled and well lit. Overall, I was exceptionally pleased with my stay at the Quito JW Marriott. If you can get a reasonable rate here, then you have no need to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms with window within atrium will be quieter