See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 19, 2015

Unfortunately, the management of this place has changed and things have gone downhill very quickly!

When we arrived, it had the feeling of a place that might be acceptable if they could actually clean it a bit more thoroughly. It reminded me of my Peace Corps days when I would not want to touch anything... I wished I had taken my own sheets with me as they were threadbare and didn't look totally clean. The towels in our bathroom were filthy- there was enough makeup on them from the last user it was clear they hadn't been washed at all.

That was our initial impression; as time went on, we went from a bit grossed out to totally appalled. I really hope the owners are just starting a step learning curve.

- We had no hot water for at least 16 hours This actually didn't bug me that much but another couple there was totally frustrated that the owners were no where to be found and had left no contact information.
- The alarm system was triggered one morning and went off for over an hour before a staff member showed up for the day
- When other guests complained that someone needed to be present, the owner decided to stay the night... and unfortunately drink and talk loudly outside our rooms until the wee hours of the morning, making it impossible to sleep
- When I did finally go to sleep, I later awakened to the sound of water rushing into our room and a huge wet puddle on the ground... from the ceiling caving in with water. The owner had decided to run a long shower/bath at 3 am. He couldn't at first figure out how to clean the mess up, so at 7 months pregnant I was running all over finding towels so we wouldn't be completed flooded out (since it didn't appear he would do anything initially)
- We were told the owner would arrange a tour for us; when we finally hunted him down at 9 pm the night before his response was "oh yeah, the guy I know isn't available, you should figure out something else."
- Our rooms couldn't be cleaned even when we were gone all day so that the one part-time employee scrambling around to take care of the entire hotel could make lunch for the owner and his family

As frustrating as the above was, the responses of the owner are what really were unacceptable: "it's not our fault because we don't have a night manager" to the lack of water and the alarm, for instance. It's a hotel and restaurant; you need at least one person working there full-time (not a part-time employee who scrambles around trying to make due for 4 hours/day).

The facilities have the "bones" of being a great place- good location right next to the river and short walk from the center of town- but these guys need to get their act together and realize they are running a service-oriented hotel - a place that requires attention and upkeep- not a frat house/dining hall for themselves.

Date of stay: February 2015
4  Thank KGGQUITO
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Opening the window and beholding the grass-lined Tomebamba river, I realized we had made the right choice. For our first time to Cuenca we were looking for an authentic and comfortable experience. We also wanted to stay somewhere close to the heart of this beautiful city. Of all the hotels where my lady and I could have spent a wonderful weekend in Cuenca, this one provided the perfect home base because of the engaging staff, charming central location, well equipped restaurant and bar, and did I mention the amazing staff? After a night out on the town, or a day trip out to Cajas national park we looked forward to coming back to this gem of a Hotel. From the restaurant we enjoyed hot sandwiches, sushi, breakfast with delicious fresh juice, and we spent some good, long hours chatting with the lively bar tenders and other guests in the exquisite ambience of the open air patio. Our room also overlooked the river, and was well equipped and clean. Bill, the manager, seriously went above and beyond helping me retrieve some items that I left behind at the place. (Thanks, Bill!) This guy WILL take care of you!! Wifi, hot water, location, good value, and good people--this place has a lot to offer. Check out this unique spot you will be in great hands and a perfect place to explore and take in Cuenca!

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Villa Nova Inn and the staff made our stay in Cuenca feel like we were among friends and family.

I am listing what few cons there were simply to give the reader an honest impression. Do note that the pros far outweighed them and that is why the overall rating given was a five.The Cons: 1. The shower enclosure showed wear and tear. However, after speaking with Bill, the manager, we were informed that this was on their list of upgrades. 2. No heat- Although many properties in Cuenca do not have heat, the nights still tend to get rather chilly w/o heat during the colder season. However, they quickly provided us with extra blankets when requested. My only suggestion is to have small portable heaters for guest to use when requested.

Now everything else were Pros: 1. Location- perfectly situated to walk anywhere in old or new town, grab a cab or take a bus. In addition, it faced the Tomebambo River for which our room had an excellent view we enjoyed everyday. 2. Free wi-fi that came in handy as we ended up having to take care of a little business while there. 3. The accommodations were quaint allowing us to feel as though we were part of the lifestyle. We also felt safe at all times as the property is secured behind a gate whereby we had access in and out 24 hours a day with our fob. 4. Breakfast was delicious, especially the smoothies and the marmelade jam served daily. 5. The value for what was received in the form of tangible goods as well as the welcoming reception felt throughout our entire stay is excellent. 6. The newly established restaurant on property served excellent food, at great prices. The energy at the restaurant also brought several ex-pats and locals to join in during the World Cup making the atmosphere festive.

Cuenca primarily has either bed and breakfasts or hostals. Villa Nova Inn is considered a B & B and is probably one of the better ones for the reasons mentioned above and because Bill, Gabriella and Annie, as well as the restaurant staff made us feel like family. When we visit again, this will definitely be where we call home. Find out more by visiting their website at villanovainncuenca.com.

Date of stay: June 2014
2  Thank SCworldtraveller
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Villa Nova. The sound of the river was great, and we liked being so close to el centro without being in it. The staff was accommodating and helpful, and our rooms were clean and comfortable. Our kids liked it a lot, too.

Room tip: We liked the top floor room with a king bed and bunk beds for the kids. It was quite spacious for our family of four.
Date of stay: July 2013
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was planning on staying for 3-4 days and wound up staying 6. Bill the manager is very nice and welcoming. The rooms are pleasant though some renovations are planned in the future. I'd avoid room #3 only because the noise from the bar/restaurant carries into it but otherwise is nice and basic. The rooms in the front overlook the river. The location is perfect in that you are right yards from the river and within a short walk to the inner city. The bar/restaurant has a short but tasty menu. The managers of the bar/restaurant are equally welcoming and it attracts an expat crowd, all very friendly. I definitely enjoyed my stay there. Some problems with Expedia, Hotels.com ... not notifying them of reservations but if you call to confirm and offer cash you can get a lower rate.

Room tip: avoid room 3 due to noise funneled from bar/restaurant. Check to confirm restaurant is open that night.
Date of stay: April 2014