See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 31, 2015

Another hotel which doesn't even try its best:
- my room was stripped beyond basic, when I don't even have a lamp on my bedside table and the only source of light for reading comes from a lamp stuck on the ceiling I feel treated like a chicken in a battery cage
- both hairdrier and TV remote have to be requested at reception. Not just that, I got a call to my room at 6.40am to get the hairdrier back, was it the only one within the hotel? Did they think it was alright to wake me up at such inurbane time for that??
- clearly the unrequested wake up call was not welcome, anyway I had little to no chance to sleep anyway: their cleaners belong to the category which sees guests as a burden or an obstacle, and make every possible noise to kick them out of their room. The same guy tried to get into my room twice while I was trying to sleep (twice! Can they not get the list of check-outs from reception, or use memory??)
- on top of it, breakfast is served by the waiters (Vs buffet), which sounds special but effectively makes you totally dependent on people with no sense of urgency. Bottom line: I had to leave without having had sight of my omelet 20 minutes after placing the order
- another really unpleasant but unfortunately common trait among hotels across peru is lack of black out curtains

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank silviaaroundtheworld
Reviewed October 4, 2015

Stayed 2 nights in hotel as part of Exodus trip "Peru Explorer" - very mediocre hotel five and half blocks from the central plaza (Plaza de Aamas).

Hotel in middle of renovations. Given Room 304 but no lift (or bellboy) so had to carry our own bags up two flights of stairs.

No view from room as window overlooked central atrium above dining room. Room basic with small TV on wall. Cable TV was all Spanish, apart from BBC News channel in English.

Water pressure was weak and water didn't get warm although other rooms had plenty warm water. Internet was slow but worked in room.

Décor is dated, particularly the bedroom and dining room but hotel in middle of renovations - this meant lots of banging during day, smell of paint and unable to use outside space because this was full of decorating equipment. Even some drilling noise in middle of night.

Tour guide arranged for hotel to do laundry but we had to provide our own bag for laundry as none provided and they managed to lose the bag as not returned with our laundry

There is no breakfast buffet here so you are totally dependent on the staff to bring out the food and drink. They do make eggs for you but only if you ask. There is a cup of yogurt, coffee, bread, butter and jam and fresh juice. The usual ham, cheese, fresh fruit and pastries normally served with the buffet breakfast are missing here.

A sign behind the front desk reads US$75 for a double room but no-one would pay rack rate during renovations. There must be better value out there in a big city like Arequipa.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2014

I was on the second floor and there was a lot of street noise. No elevator that I could find so you need to be able to carry the luggage up stairs. (Apparently no bell boy either.) The breakfast was eggs, rolls and juice. Not much selection but it tasted fine. The hotel was clean and looked nice. There were lounge areas on the different floors so you could sit with friends or read. The woman at reception did not speak much English.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Very good hotel in the centre of the city. Rooms are large and well appointed with all the bathroom bits. Good buffet breakfast and helpful staff who can direct you to the nearby sites. They will store your luggage if required.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I guess I must be getting lazy.

Usually I research on Trip Advisor for where to stay, but this time I left it to a travel agent, and paid for it by getting a rather mediocre hotel five and half blocks from the central plaza (Plaza de Aamas).

First the good -
It’s recently renovated and reasonably clean. The reception staff are friendly enough. Our room 101 is rather large with a big window that opens looking out onto the car-park behind the hotel. We have a small fridge and a large flat screen TV.
The bathroom was spacious and has a bath.
It is well appointed with power points on each wall.
Big new wardrobe.

The not so good –
As I said before, it’s more than 5 blocks from the central plaza. We arrived on a Sunday and the street was like a morgue.
Water pressure is weak and water takes forever to get warm.
Internet is slow and is more often off than on (we’ve experienced this problem in nearly all of the hotels we’ve stayed in Peru.
Even though it’s been recently done-up, the décor is dated, particularly the dining room.
We have a writing desk, but it’s tiny, and no other bench space so our stuff all ends up on the floor.
Cable TV is all Spanish, apart from BBC News channel in English.

Breakfast deserves its own paragraph. It would appear that the breakfast is contracted out, and the waiting staff are decidedly hostile. We were severely scalded one morning for showing up for breakfast at 9.10am. The following morning we showed up at 6.30 (we had a taxi booked for 7am). Well we were initially ignored by the staff even though we were the only guests, and only after I complained to the front desk did we get some service (my eggs arrived at 6.57)… obviously we were being punished for being late the day before. There is no buffet here so one is totally dependent on the staff to bring out the food and drink. They do make eggs for you but only if you ask, and unless you clearly specify that you would like two eggs they will only serve you one egg. There is a cup of yogurt, coffee, bread butter and jam, and fresh pineapple juice. The usual ham, cheese, fresh fruit and pastries normally served with the buffet breakfast are missing here.

Finally, they must be doing some new remodelling, as during the day there was constant hammering coming from the other side of the wall.
As this hotel was booked for us as part of a tour, I’m not sure what we paid, but a sign behind the front desk reads US$75 for a double. There must be better value out there in a big city like Arequipa.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple