“Fantastic, friendly place right off the Plaza de Armas”
Review of Hostal El Triunfo

Hostal El Triunfo
Ranked #14 of 390 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2010

A group of four friends and I (all in our mid-twenties) took a 10-day vacation to Peru primarily to hike the Inca Trail and see Machu Picchu. We stayed three nights in Cusco at Hostal El Triunfo to acclimate, and couldn't have been happier with our stay. The clean, brightly decorated rooms were a great value at ~$20 per person per night. The breakfast room offered a lovely view out onto the domed roofs and red tiles of the Plaza de Armas, and was stocked all day with coca tea to help with altitude sickness. All the major museums, churches, and sights were just a short stroll down the street.

What really made this place a winner was the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. They were very patient with our convoluted division of the bill (can he pay half in dollars, half in soles? Can we put her share of the room on her credit card?). They safely stored our extra luggage during our hike on the Inca Trail, and even labeled our bags with tags (we had rushed out at 5:15 in the morning and had forgotten). The front desk had someone present round-the-clock, so any problems, questions, or requests were dealt with immediately.

The only downside to the hostel was that the water stayed hot for only about one shower, but this complaint seemed to be pretty universal across Cusco unless one stayed at a much higher-end hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank deepvermilion

Reviewed 6 June 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Hostal El Triunfo. The staff was very polite and helped us to book some tours at the region.

The room was very clean with wifi connection, so we could use our computers. The beds were confortable but I the room was a little bit cold... we had to rent a heater to stay fine. The breakfast was simple but fine.

The main feature of that hostal is the location a block from the main square of Cuzco.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Awesome location of this quaint and simple hotel near the main plaza in Cuzco, Peru is staffed with two gems at the reception desk. They honestly went above and beyond any call of duty to help with the hard to get train and entrance tickets to Machu Picchu during the opening days. I am grateful to Lydia and Giovanna for their kindness and dedication to each and every guest. A warm and helpful staff often means much more to the traveling public than a fancy room or 5 star status. I plan to come back again just to visit the day staff!

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I have stayed at Hostal el Triunfo from January 21 to 28, 2010.
It is a lovely small hotel, nicely located in the heart of Cuzco - Peru. When I arrived I wasn’t feeling very well and they made me feel at home.
If you do not have much expectation, you have a nice clean room and bathroom, and wireless in your room. I did not have any problems with noise and breakfast was enough for me. For the price they charge I do not think any one should complain about breakfast.
Lidia and Giovana are very nice girls (as I speak Spanish) had nice talks. For women travelling on their I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Very good place to stay in Cuzco. Near to plaza de armas. The best breakfasts I ate in Peru. I recomend this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Conguillio
Reviewed 30 October 2009

The warmth of the place, the smile of the staff (Yllich, Jane , Giovanna), the service and hospitality, contributed to a most pleasant stay.

We can only agree to what the others have already said. Great location. Easy to get to anywhere in the city.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

The location of this Hostel is excellent!!! It is 30 seconds walk to the main square one way, and 30 seconds walk to the 12 angle stone the other way. Its street is very narrow and picturesque, and is surrounded by many nice stores from expensive to affordable. The restaurant right across is very good. I travelled with my wife and our 10 year old son, and stayed in one of the triple rooms in the back. It was quite noisy because we could hear people speak and baby crying from a store on the first floor until late at night, and the beds are a bit too hard for our taste. I suggest you bring your own soap as the one provided is very tiny. Breakfast is simple but sufficient; consisting of bread, butter, jelly and orange juice or coca tea. You can also buy eggs or sodas at very affordable price. The service is excellent, and the employees working the front desk are very helpful in providing any information you may need. If travelling on a budget you can do not wrong with staying here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family