“Don't expect luxury, but expect being pampered!”

Hotel Casona les Pleiades
Ranked #6 of 357 Cusco B&B and Inns
Panama City, Panama
“Don't expect luxury, but expect being pampered!”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I have to admit that I thought it will be another kind of place, maybe more fancy, but at the end, it really doesn't matter, because Phillipe and their staff are unbelievable nice, gentle and helpful. The helped with all the tours, spent a lot of time explaining about the drill and giving us tips of Cusco and Macchu Pichu. Clean beds, and hot water all the time, thing that is highly appreciated especially when you heard many stories about hostels in Cusco that have problems with that!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in an upper floor...being in the ground floor expose you to some noise coming from th...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ktycastillo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Brisbane
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights before our Inca Trail hike and 1 night on our return. Melanie and Phillipe were very friendly and helpful and made our stay in Cusco very enjoyable. The B & B is very well located and we were able to walk around Cusco.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Warm, friendly, comfortable, well-located B&B. Phillipe and staff were knowledgeable and helpful. Stayed 3 nights before hiking inca Trail, then 2 nights after returning to Cuzco. Enjoyed all 5 nights.

Room Tip: front rooms are nicest, but have some street noise; inside rooms are quiet
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Stayed here for four days before hiking the Inca Trail and two days after. Phillipe and his staff did everything they could to make us feel at home during our stay in Cusco. Also, the location in San Blas is great.

• Stayed November 2011
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I can't say enough great things about our stay at Melanie and Philippe's charming B&B. From the warm welcome we received upon arriving (complementary airport pick-up arranged - the day before no less :)), to the spacious, clean, tastefully decorated rooms, to the amazing breakfast, and the courtious and friendly staff (Erin always had a smile on her face!). Not to mention the great location in San Blas! Stayed there before and after my G Adventure tour - I was so glad to be back afterwards, away from the noise of the traffic! The hosts also arranged for my trip to/from Puno and a tour of Lake Titikaka - I didn't have to worry about a thing. I would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Located right around the corner from the Plaza San Blas, Casona les Pleiades was only 4 (admittedly steep) blocks from the Plaza de Armas. The location turned out to be truly perfect with great restaurants steps away. The tucked away location ensured a peaceful escape from the bustle once the day of exploring was done.

The rooms are comfortable, nicely decorated and very clean. The overall property is very very charming.

The best part of Casona les Pleiades is the staff. The owners are wonderful and provide complete and helpful information. The employees are kind, welcoming and helpful at every turn.

The only problematic area was internet access. While the hotel does offer wi-fi, the thick adobe walls don't allow the signal through. There is a nice lounge area that you can sit in to use the internet though. Occasionally, I found that the overall internet access went out. The problem was generally intermittent.

Overall, I highly recommend this property.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank adasmann
New York
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My US to Lima flight was cancelled thanks to the braintrusts behind the United/Continental merger. In one night I had to re-work an entire 11 day trip to Peru, including train trips to Machu Picchu, hotels across the country, and multiple domestic airline tickets. The trip was for my parents, who are senior citizens.

Once my flight was bumped I emailed Melanie to see if I could move the rez forward a few days without penalty. I contacted her the day before our anticipated arrival (Cuzco was stop #1 on the trip) which was when I found out about the airline issue. She immediately snapped back that she was booked, could not give us a room, and she was charging us the 48-hour cancellation penalty. I responded that no way, no how, would I pay the penalty given the circumstances. She didn't even attempt to assist us in finding another room or offer to meet us halfway on the penalty fee. Nope. Instead she stated that it "was not her problem" and I should have purchased travelers insurance. She also says that she assumes her guests are savvy enough to get their own accommodations and it is not her job to help find a room elsewhere if she is booked up.

After a flurry of emails, I got tired of reading Melanie's backpeddling, lame arguments, and offensive over-use of exclamation points, so I disputed the charge through my credit card.

I get that hotels have cancellation policies. I get that this is a small B&B. The point is that these people are in the hospitality industry and should be hospitable to all visitors, not just those that throw money at them. This situation tells me exactly what kind of people these are.

Fortunately, I didn't let Melanie's desperation for $72 ruin my trip to Peru. I stayed at the Villa Mayor, 1 block from the Plaza de Armes. It was cheaper, had an amazing cafe attached to it, and the service was incredible (Spanish speaking primarily). They also had the best hot shower in Peru.

So Melanie, take my $72 penalty and use it to take class in how to deal with people without belligerence and 100 exclamation points after each sentence. You're in hospitality, and you of all people should know that the customer is always right.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank misscrusty
casonapleiades, Owner at Hotel Casona les Pleiades, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Managament and staff at Casona Pleiades are very dedicated to guests' well-being and always try to accommodate all situation when occurring. There are some120 reviews attesting of that and their genuine, congenial characters and flexible attitudes.
Regarding this particular case, the hotel could not move the canceled reservation to the new night requested because it was already full, otherwise we would have done so. Moreover, the reservation was canceled less than 24 hours when hotel policy is a minimum of 48 hours from check-in (local Peruvian time) due to its 7-only room capacity. A policy sent twice, once at time of booking request, and once at time of booking confirmation. In addition, help for booking at another property was never asked for nor hinted by the customers in any of her emails to management. However, customer did mention in her correspondence to management that she would leave a negative review (even though did not stay at property) if we did not accede to her demands. We do feel it is very unfortunate that tripadvisor can sometimes be used as a pressuring tool on property owners and threat to hotel's reputation when only applying hotel's policies agreed by customers at time of booking.

Management