“The highlight of my Amazon trip”

La Isla De Los Monos
4-Day Amazon Jungle Tour at Maniti Eco-Lodge
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Iquitos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A cage-free rescue center 30km from Iquitos in the Peruvian Amazon, dedicated to the protection and conservation of abandoned and orphaned monkeys. We rescue, rehabilitate and release back into the wild monkeys orphaned through the illegal animal trade. Visit us by yourself using local transport or get in touch with us to book one of our full day or overnight tours and see behind the scenes at our rescue centre.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

I went to this Island twice while I was visiting the Amazon. I enjoyed it so much the first time that I just had to go back.

To get to the island you can take a speedboat from the Puerto de los productores to the Puerto de Indiana for about 15 soles. The trip takes about an hour. From the Puerto de Indiana you have to take another boat to the island. This is a 30 min trip for about 10 soles. The visit to the island costs 20 soles. The island has there own boat to take you back to Indiana at about 4pm. From Indiana take a speedboat back to Iquitos.

An easier way is to book a day tour at the office of the monkey Island in Iquitos. The first time the speedboat dropped me off at the wrong port I had to hire a fishing boat to get me back to Indiana. Its a better idea to print the map or bring the panflit and show it to the boat people to make sure they are on the same page.

Either way.. once you get to the island you will have the cutest monkeys coming up to you, playing with you. I had one sitting on my shoulder for like an hour. They like grapes.

I highly recommend visiting the island

Date of experience: October 2017
"full day tour"
"costs soles"
"money goes"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"falling asleep"

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

Get here if you can. Really great animal sanctuary. Very relaxed and friendly guide. The monkeys are all babies and are free to roam and will climb all over you! It's great fun and the monkeys all seem very happy and when they are ready these rescued animals will run into the wild on their own. Very moving

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed September 12, 2017 via mobile

Honestly the best experience we've had in 3 months in South America. Picked up from our hostel by Lucero, and then taken to our own private boat.

Stopped off at an island which showed us crocodiles, these mad fish, and also a talking parrot! Before continuing onto the island.

The island was everything and more than we expected. The monkeys were not just in cages, but just roaming around. Meaning they would just come up to you and latch on and suddenly you'd have a new friend.

Would definitely recommend the proper tour, as not only is lunch included, but it meant myself and my boyfriend had the whole afternoon to play with the monkeys on our own, as well as being given a jungle tour.

Honestly, one of the best things we've ever experienced. Special mention to baby wooly monkey Pepito who is the cutest thing in the world.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank SBurrell92
LaIslaDeLosMonos, Public Relations Manager at La Isla De Los Monos, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2017

Hola, thank you so much for your visit and your kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your day with our monkey family! Please come back and see us soon! We agree, Pepito is always super cute :)

Reviewed September 6, 2017

On this island, most monkeys are uncaged except for the most aggressive. They are soft and friendly like kittens, and hang on as you roam around. The visit could be as short as an hour on the island, including walking, if you're nearby in Iquitos.

The government brings an assortment of orphaned monkeys to this island on the Amazon when their parents are lost to the market for, well, bush meat. They are attended and loved.

Date of experience: August 2017

Hola Yosef, thank you so much for your visit and review. We want as many of our monkeys to be free as nature intended. Thanks again.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

I am a primate lover through and through but always feel guilty about interacting with wild monkeys. This place was a dream come true. I was climbed upon, groomed, loved on, and befriended by the lovely rescued inhabitants, and all by their own choosing. These rescues are obviously well loved and cared for and offered us the opportunity to experience their wonders hands on. They literally jumped to your shoulders from the trees. I was thoroughly impressed with the experience and recommend prearranging the day tour so you don't have to worry about arranging transport on your own. It is worth the money, especially once you see how your money is being used. I would go back again and again if I could.

Date of experience: July 2017

Hola Blythe,
Thank you for your review and your visit to our centre. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the tour. We hope you can return soon!