“Not to be missed while in Iquitos”

La Isla De Los Monos
Ranked #2 of 61 things to do in Iquitos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A cage-free rescue center in the Peruvian Amazon dedicated to the protection and conservation of abandoned and orphaned monkeys. The aim of the project is the save the life of these creatures and release them back to their original habitat.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 29, 2017

Amazing rescue centre in the heart of the Amazon. Some high quality monkey therapy and good mood garanted. I would love to come there again. This place is hillarious! The best monkeys ever!

All reviews
"day trip"
in 10 reviews
"costs soles"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"falling asleep"
"monkeys playing"

Reviewed November 26, 2017

Truly go here, just do it, it will change your life. My partner and I were to spend 5 days volunteering on the island, but loved every second of the 3 months we ended up extending our stay!
Family owned with a family heart, everyone at La Isla de los Monos dedicates their lives to the betterment of orphaned monkeys, often received Ill through mistreatment after being sold through the terrible animal trade to people that have no idea how to care for them. This place gives them a new chance, and the only way they can continue their amazing work is through receiving tourists to come and visit and learn about the project of rehabilitating the monkeys (in a cage free environment) so they can be released back into the wild, free as they belong.
Yes it does take a little effort to get to them from Iquitos, but you will be rewarded with the most wonderful experience imaginable.

Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

I went to this Island twice while I was visiting the Amazon. I enjoyed it so much the first time that I just had to go back.

To get to the island you can take a speedboat from the Puerto de los productores to the Puerto de Indiana for about 15 soles. The trip takes about an hour. From the Puerto de Indiana you have to take another boat to the island. This is a 30 min trip for about 10 soles. The visit to the island costs 20 soles. The island has there own boat to take you back to Indiana at about 4pm. From Indiana take a speedboat back to Iquitos.

An easier way is to book a day tour at the office of the monkey Island in Iquitos. The first time the speedboat dropped me off at the wrong port I had to hire a fishing boat to get me back to Indiana. Its a better idea to print the map or bring the panflit and show it to the boat people to make sure they are on the same page.

Either way.. once you get to the island you will have the cutest monkeys coming up to you, playing with you. I had one sitting on my shoulder for like an hour. They like grapes.

I highly recommend visiting the island

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

Get here if you can. Really great animal sanctuary. Very relaxed and friendly guide. The monkeys are all babies and are free to roam and will climb all over you! It's great fun and the monkeys all seem very happy and when they are ready these rescued animals will run into the wild on their own. Very moving

See more reviews
Reviewed September 12, 2017 via mobile

Honestly the best experience we've had in 3 months in South America. Picked up from our hostel by Lucero, and then taken to our own private boat.

Stopped off at an island which showed us crocodiles, these mad fish, and also a talking parrot! Before continuing onto the island.

The island was everything and more than we expected. The monkeys were not just in cages, but just roaming around. Meaning they would just come up to you and latch on and suddenly you'd have a new friend.

Would definitely recommend the proper tour, as not only is lunch included, but it meant myself and my boyfriend had the whole afternoon to play with the monkeys on our own, as well as being given a jungle tour.

Honestly, one of the best things we've ever experienced. Special mention to baby wooly monkey Pepito who is the cutest thing in the world.

1  Thank SBurrell92
LaIslaDeLosMonos, Public Relations Manager at La Isla De Los Monos, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2017

Hola, thank you so much for your visit and your kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your day with our monkey family! Please come back and see us soon! We agree, Pepito is always super cute :)