“Monkey Island”

La Isla De Los Monos
Ranked #2 of 61 things to do in Iquitos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A cage-free rescue center in the Peruvian Amazon dedicated to the protection and conservation of abandoned and orphaned monkeys. The aim of the project is the save the life of these creatures and release them back to their original habitat.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 19, 2018

This place is very unique. Many different species of monkeys roaming the island in which the visitor can easily view them in their natural jungle habitat and even interact with them. I made friends with a couple of Wooly monkeys, Martiń and Pepé, who climbed up on my shoulders and accompanied me on my tour. A very educational and enjoyable experience. I highly recommend visiting this place.

1  Thank garbatron2000
LaIslaDeLosMonos, Public Relations Manager at La Isla De Los Monos, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2018

Thanks for your visit to our island and your review!

All reviews
"day trip"
in 10 reviews
"costs soles"
in 3 reviews
"answered all our questions"
"falling asleep"
"bug repellent"
"monkeys playing"

Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

I never was amazed by monkeys or apes in any kind, until today that we visited the Island. I heard different stories about different places on the globe where monkeys stroll around but I was never convinced. Today we went there and I even though I was tired and the journey there takes a little while (around 1:15h including switching boats), I find it was one of the best decision I made in Iquitos.
The monkeys are such kind and curious fellows, approached calmly they will climb all over you and cuddle and that's exactly what you want to do with those sweet animals.
The center itself is very well maintained, the stuff is relaxed and friendly and tells you as much as you like. There is also the opportunity to volunteer or adopt a monkey.
I would definitely recommend, plan 2 hours for the stay there and you have a brilliant day trip with nice boat tour as well.

Thanks for your kind review, we're so glad you enjoyed your experience with us - Gracias!

Reviewed January 1, 2018

The "monkey" office in Iquitos was closed on Sunday so we hired a motocar to take us to the port of Bellavista on river Nanay. It takes almost one hour by a speedboat to get to the "Monkey Island" but it is worthwhile to go there. The fast ride on the expansive Amazon river is a special experience by itself. When you arrive at the island the Chorro monkeys will greet you on land. Bring some mature bananas - it is OK. The resident guide will help you to explain the habitat in the Spanish language. Some monkeys are in cages but most of them run free and when you have some food they are all over you. All animals on the island seem to be happy including the resident dog that is so friendly both with the free-running monkeys and the visitors. A good place to visit if you have half a day to spare. Make sure to plan for rest after return!

Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

I had a great morning at Monkey Island. The staff really care for the monkeys and have a great program. This place is worth the journey from Iquitos