“French cuisine at its best!!”
Review of Herve Bistro - CLOSED

Herve Bistro
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2014

We have dined at Herve various times and have never had any complaints. The service is attentive yet not over the top. The food is exquisite both in appearance and taste and the prices remarkably reasonable considering the quality of the food.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

In a city known worldwide for its wonderful food, it is always hard to find food that doesn't have a Peruvian touch. The local market always demands rice, peppers or currants on their dishes and this " fusion" permeates all restaurants.
Herve has tried to remained true to his French roots, and has paid dearly for it. If what you want is a nice french meal, with no pretense, the Herve is your place. The ingredients, presentation and service are always flawless and Herve himself is on top of things.
However if what you are looking for is more local fusion fare, this is not your place.
So, if you are in the mood for great onion soup, duck and the best crepes in town, come to Herve.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

The main issue with this restaurant is one of marketing, and I feel the need to encourage people to go here so the place is still around next time I come to Lima.

My wife and I went here for our anniversary when our reservation at Rafael fell through. There was only one other couple there when we arrived, and we almost left, but not feeling like wandering around Lima in the night of our first anniversary, we decided to stick it out, and I'm glad we did.

Hervé certainly needs some help with the decor: the idea of the restaurant is to create an intimate dining experience like you're in someone's home, but the white walls, high ceilings, kitchen tucked away in the corner and 20-odd empty tables gives the place a bit of a sterile, impersonal feeling.

That said, they seem to have picked up on the complaints about slow service. Our server was quite attentive, and we never had to wait too long for the next course. Neither did the service feel rushed, and they never offered us our check until we asked, even though we chatted for about 30 minutes after eating desert.

The food itself some if the best I've had in Lima, and the pulpo appetizer with avocado cream is certainly with getting if you go. However, we skipped the alcohol after seeing that the cheapest glass was 40 soles--I'm sure it's good wine, but they should have some less expensive options. Similarly, my wife paid the same for her shrimp with spaghetti as I did for my home-made tortellini, and while both dishes are excellent, any dish with spaghetti should be one of the cheaper items on the menu. We were also a bit confused that the afines are extra, but they also gave us two bread courses, gelato to prime the palate for desert, macaroons and cookies, so I'm not complaining.

I would have like to see more salad options, and perhaps I would have ordered poultry if the sides had been more creative. That said, I think part of the problem is that the menu understates what you're getting and with better descriptions, I would have probably ordered a more expensive dish.

In sum, for this sort of dining experience, I have very high expectations, and as far as the food itself goes, my expectations were met. Other factors--especially the impersonal ambience--are why I wouldn't give this place five stars. Still, I definitely recommend this restaurant, especially if you're tired of the "Peruvian fusion" that seems to be all the rage in non-Peruvian gourmet restaurants right now, and you want some real European food for a change.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

It is a good restaurant but too expensive. The food is very good, average service, nice setting but nothing out of this world. I wouldn't go back just because of the prices. Many nice places in Lima where you can eat very good at reasonable prices. Eating here is almost as expensive as eating in Central Restaurant and not as good as it.

1  Thank patriciaDubai
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Hervė was recommended to us by friends who know Lima well as an enjoyable change from the delicious local cuisine. We were not disappointed. The classic French look and feel of the restaurant was matched by the wonderful menu choices. We were greeted in a friendly manner and the service was impeccable. Hervė himself was happy to explain the dishes to us and to accommodate a friend's dietary limitations. We were all very happy with our choices, from octopus, to sweetbreads as starters, to the duck, risotto, and rabbit that followed.
As others have noted, the restaurant was very quiet, only one or two tables besides ours. Why? Food, service, atmosphere, and price, are all top rate and it deserves to be more popular.