“Gate 1 10 day affordable Peru Tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Minneapolis
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Gate 1 10 day affordable Peru Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

My wife and I just return a week ago, May 17th, 2013, from Gate 1 10 day affordable tour B group and we enjoyed the tour. My wife has gone on their tours before with good results. The Peru tour was just as advertised. The hotels were nice, food good and transportation on time. Our tour guide, Rene, was with us the whole time. He is an Inca, and with his very good English, did a great job explaining the history, sites, and culture of his country. Machu Picchu is more then the books and video show. Gate 1 had us up at 4:am to take the early train to Machu Picchu which gives you about 5 hours which was enough even to walk up to the house at the top. 3 of the site we visited required about 500 steps to reach the top or incase of Moray to the bottom so wear good hiking shoes.
May was a good time to be there. Weather was warm, not hot and we had no rains. Be sure to take a fleece wind breaker with as it can be a bit windy up on the 12,000 ft plateau. The floating islands on Lake Titicaca were very interesting and that area will be the coolest part of the trip yet nothing like the Minnesota we had left.
The exchange rate was about 2.6 sols to our dollar. We would just divide their sol price by 5 and multiply by 2 to get a us dollar value. So S/25(sol) as about $10.US. BUT, bring only new crisp US bills. They will not accept any bills that have a small hairline tear. Best is to get like S/250.(Sol) when you get into Lima, at a bank or exchange place, so you have money for some meals not include or other items. If you have Sols left at the end of trip you can always use them up as part of your tips.
Always drink only bottle water and have plenty with you. Drink some Gatorade products also. Leave the Pisco Sour drink till our last night there if you dare. Also, 3/4 of our group experienced some problems with altitude sickness, even those of us who work out. Believe me, there is NO reasoning to who will have some problems. It was no fun for one of our group who had to fly back down to Lima.
We are glad we did this trip. Always seem to meet a nice group of people to share the trip with and would use Gate 1 again for tours.

10 Thank Dennis L

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“10 day Peru Trip with Gate 1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

We just came back from 10-day Peru trip with Gate 1. The whole trip was arranged very well. We had the upgraded package with better hotels. It definitely worth the extra $. There were only 9 of us in the group. Tour guide was very flexible and arranged the trip based on our needs. We took all the optional tours and the price was very reasonable. Tour guide took us hiking to Sun Gate and had a spectacular view of the Machu Picchu and had a picnic looking over Machu Picchu. The other day we had picnic with a great view of the mountains. This's our 3rd trip with Gate 1 and we look forward to book our next one with them again. This Peru trip is better than I expected! http://www.gate1travel.com/

2 Thank Peih C
Buffalo, NY
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Dream come true”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

My wife and I went to Machu Picchu in March and it was a dream come true. This Inca site is amazing and the surrounding mountains and valleys are breathtaking. We took a tour through International Expeditions and we were completely satisfied. The hotels that they use and our guides were excellent. Also International Expeditions provides 2 days at Machu Picchu which gives plenty of time to explore the site and some "insurance" if you get bad weather on one day. We arrived about noon on the first day and spent all afternoon (up until the site closed) at Machu Picchu. It was very nice because the afternoon light and lower numbers of people gave us many opportunities for great pictures. During our second day we visited parts of the site we did not see on the first day and we got to see everything in the morning light.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank niagarariverfatman
Ogden, Utah
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best Peru Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I booked my tour with Best Peru Tours because I wanted a US based operator. I didn't have to pay in foreign currency either which saves on conversion cost or foreign transaction fees. Maria Lujan was painstakingly meticulous in customizing the trip for us. She knew the lay of the land real well and that helped me decide how to plan, what all I wanted to do, and most importantly what all I didn't want to waste my time and money on.

She was so good in putting it all together that I just communicated with her by email. We have been doing this for 8 months now. Never did I speak to her once on the phone. Isn't that incredible.

United States should learn the impeccable arrangement Peru has for the visitors that go there given that Peru is not a rich country like the US. There was no troubleshooting or problems there. Once again I never had to call my local guide or back up emergency numbers in Peru.

Maria also arranged for us a private guide and the best guide on our one day Inca Trail. Elistan Guillen Paucar is his name. If you can request him, he will make it worth your while. He spoke good English with knowledge of American expressions that made it so much easier and fun. He obviously knows Spanish and Quechua, given that he is a Quechua man himself. He knew botanical names of orchids and also a good knowledge of fauna on the trail. It was a pleasure to have him the next day as well, where he took us around the Citadel. Machu Picchu minus Elistan would not be the same.

3 Thank globetrotter709
Boston , MA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Machu Picchu, an awesome experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Hi just got back two weeks ago from visiting this historic Inca site in an absolutely awesome experience. But wished to share a few tips that would have helped me before my travels.

First off, the home base, the town below the peak, Aquas Calientes is really a treat in itself, I would suggest booking two nights there, and either spend an entire day (8 AM to 4pm on the mountain) or two half days. One tour we looked at only spent an afternoon on the mountain, do not short change yourself, spend as much time as you can on the site.

It does get cool (we went first of May) bring a windbreaker sweater. no food or bathroom facilities within the site. Contrary to what you hear, a Bus takes you up to the top of the mountain and in essence there is very little climbing. lI did not realize that the Wayna Picchu, the large peak in the background has an ancient inca trail leading to the top as well.. that can be climbed, or I should say walked, think of a long staircase.. but most wee pretty tired by their descend.. but you have to be there early.. only 200 are permitted access at 9 AM and 10 AM.

Also a few other easier by up to an hour each way are available, for instance the Moon temple and inca bridge. When I inquired I got kind of an Ehh... it was okay.. so I would suggest spend you time on site as much as possible.

Again, nominated as one of the seven new wonders of the world, the whole trip to Peru was rewarded by this adventure.. go and enjoy!