All reviews outdoor shower muri beach spacious house communal kitchen stayed here for a week fridge hammocks cleanliness backpackers island raro nz lagoon bugs transfer
Reviewed March 8, 2018 via mobile

This was my second time staying at aremango guesthouse and I had an awesome time!

What really makes this place special is the on call manager Lovi. From the moment we arrived she made us feel like family. Anything we needed she was there for us, nothing was too much trouble. Her warmth and hospitality are what made our stay here so enjoyable.

No aremango is not a 5 star hotel, but at the price you pay it is a great deal being right on Muri beach's doorstep. What you do get is a comfortable bed, clean room and great place to stay where you can meet different people from all over the world. Yes you do have to clean up after yourself in the kitchen, which shouldn't be hard to do if you're a responsible adult who has basic respect for the other guests.

There is no rat problem at aremango like the below review has stated. I was staying here at the time of this incident and that night the outside kitchen sliding door had been left open by mistake during the night by one of the guests. Management were extremely sorry about the situation but their apologies were just being ignored.

I already plan to stay at aremango again on my next trip to Raro. It's an awesome place to stay. You get to meet some amazing people and save abit of money to spend on better things like new experiences and making memories!

Thanks and see you again Lovi and team :)

Grace

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Grace M
Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

I was misled in thinking this was a 3-star guesthouse but it is actually a run-down hostel. 3 bathrooms are to share for 10 bedrooms and there are no towels. There is no wifi unless you purchase it from outside and it's very expensive. There are notices everywhere with lots of instructions and we are told to clean after ourselves as "we are not your mother". No one was there when I arrived until the next night when a black mouse jumped on me when I was in bed and crawled on me. The manager on duty called in emergency hardly applogized and said mice are common in the tropics. I have travelled a lot in the tropics and never saw one in my room. I don't recommend staying there unless you are happy sharing your room with a mouse.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank globesurfer11
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

The guesthouse is really beautiful - it has a very nice shared garden with hammocks. We booked a room with a small private garden which was lovely. The location is great, right next to Muri beach.
I would absolutely recommend this place!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jipijapa33
Reviewed September 30, 2017 via mobile

It has its own little private way to the beach and a very clean and large kitchen for guests to cook! Nice outdoor seating and its less then 10 mins drive to the center!! Our room had its own terrace with a outdoor shower! Had a great time

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a week to escape the cold of NZ, we booked a Courtyard room.

Brendon (whom I assume was the owner) very kindly helped us with the reservations and airport transfers. We arrived in Raro at 2am on Saturday, took a van to Muri ($20 NZD per person) and got to the guesthouse with our room waiting for us. No troubles in that front.

We have been to a few other destinations in the Pacific and found Rarotonga to be rather overpriced, so $79 NZD a night was only cheap in comparison to other accommodation in the island.

Pros:

1. The room had a private sitting area with an outdoor shower.
2. Great location in Muri beach, close to the lagoon, the market, a few restaurants and vehicle rental locations for different companies.
3. A spacious house with a well equipped kitchen.

Cons:

1. Overall cleanliness of the place. Another guest called management to complain about the toilets, they stank when we got there. About two days after my wife made the same call. The kitchen and the bathrooms were not properly cleaned.
2. The house had seen better days. The outdoor area in my room was mouldy and it had a bunch of leaves and cut grass just sitting there... a rake would have solved that issue. There was mould also on the ceiling.
3. It didn't deliver on some of the amenities offered. The kayak (or kayaks?) was nowhere to be seen and as for the hammocks, only a couple of hanging hooks meant there were some, at some point in time.

There were some guests who slept in the TV room for a few nights and left their dirty dishes on the sink, but out of fairness, I don't consider this to be the place's fault, though it meant I felt more in a backpackers than a guesthouse.

I came to this place by reading other reviews, but felt let down. Staying here will certainly save you money but will not add anything memorable to your time on Raro.

Enjoy your time in this beautiful island.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple