All reviews sleeping giant nadi airport spa bath beautiful room stayed here for two nights hot water curry mountain retreat call to prayer frogs taxi fiji resort mud basin stopover
Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful views beautiful food
Loved my room with its spa !
Owner's of this resort are helpful and welcoming.
Offering to take me to town for shopping and coffee
Staff go out of there way to spoil you nothing is to much.
I will be back

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed October 30, 2017

I know not everyone reads these long reviews so let me start with my main points: CREEPY, NO WIFI, EMPTY.

This is the creepiest place I have ever been to. We were dropped off here around 6pm and immediately concerned, there were all of these broken down cars and weird junk in the front yard, it looked like a HUGE junk yard. Even the taxi driver was concerned. It looked like the start of a horror film. It also appeared to be deserted. A quiet young man came to the cab and told us to follow him, we reluctantly did. He brought us to the "front desk" (it was just a bar) and waited there until the owner came out. She casually apologized she was not dressed to work, that was weird. Then she proceeded to yell at some kids that walked up about some delivery, right in front of us. There were all of these dogs and cats everywhere, which we were actually ok with (even though one dog tried to bite me twice), but she kept threatening to hit the dogs with sticks, that was awkward to witness. The whole intro was just very unprofessional and plain WEIRD. She then brought us to our room and we tried to be positive. The window in our room was looking at a mountain, which was beautiful, but if you looked down, it was overlooking a juvenile detention center... Dinner was weird, we had to sit at a table with the owners husband and his friend, and the ONLY other guest that was there, yes there was only 1 other person staying there. The food was pretty good. That's the only nice thing I have to say. There is NO WIFI. It only works in a 10 foot radius by the bar and she turns it off at nigh. We woke up at 5am to book a hotel somewhere else (I had to use my expensive international data because the wifi was off when I tried to walk to the bar), because we needed to leave ASAP. It all just felt wrong. I seriously cannot imagine who would enjoy staying here. The place is huge, and it looked like they tried really hard to make it cool, but just failed miserably. The pool was disgusting and we didn't dare to swim in it. When I tried to explain to Michelle we needed to leave because we didn't feel comfortable, she called me crazy and was clearly very offended and got very angry even though I tried to be nice and respectful. I understand this is her livelihood, but just politely explained this wasn't the right place for us. Oh well. I am not a person that usually leaves bad reviews, but I just had to. Not only because the place was creepy but because she handled my issue so unprofessionally.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank MonicaFrances6
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

Wow, what an adventurous stay! After 2 months we are still remembering every minute of it - and having a good laugh about it. All in all - avoid this place in it's current state!!!

Let's start with the positives:
- views are unbeatable! Lovely views of the mountain range
- lovely people in the village. Visit the church and the schools for some "real Fiji"
- friendly ladies at the bar/restaurant

Now, about the very peculiar things of this place:
- everywhere dogs! The owner threats this place as a dog shelter. About 8-10 former stray dogs and 4 cats run around the place, acting if this place is theirs. Every couch, chair, bed, pool table, etc. is filled with their hairs & stink - even in the rooms and dorm area
- and they are vicious too! Don't misunderstand me - I have nothing against dogs. At least; the well mannered, behaved ones, that are friendly towards strangers. These dogs were not like that, probably traumatized in their youth. They barked, growl & jump at everyone - and not in a friendly way. At night they were very aggressive towards us, when visiting the shared bathroom. My girlfriend was dead scared of them and didn't dare to go out at night after that
- the owner doesn't understand! When telling this to Michelle she was very casual about it. Hilariously she gave the advice to "just call out the names" and then gave 8 names of dogs (as if we would remember)
- it's old and dirty! Everything was old, dusty, rusty, moldy, hairy and smelly. Dog hairs, gekko poo (I hope, or rats) , dog poo (in the grass), dust, ect everywhere. Also, the pool was so dirty we didn't dare to swim in it
- the area is like a junkyard! This place is like a ruin of lost dreams from the 70s. There is rusty junk everywhere. About 5 cars rusted in the car yard with trees growing out of it. Hundreds of broken chairs, tables, machinery, pianos and other junk. And a huge overgrown and rusted mini-golf area that they "are still working on" (mmm than these are some fast growing trees growing out it!)

I would advice the owners to shut down the place and turn it into a dog shelter (which it already is, in a way). Or give the dogs a separate area away from the guests, and give the place a major, major renovation.

For all travelers. Avoid this place in it's current state. There are loads of alternatives for staying in rural Fiji, with far better value for money (and less vicious dogs!)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris_ToscaAmsterdam
Reviewed July 31, 2017

Stoney Creek really opened up my eyes to how the people and location of how Fiji is. I stayed for one night and Michelle (the owner) welcomed me right away. She cooked me a amazing coconut chicken pizza for the night which was massive and amazing. I actually saved some of the pizza for the following day of which Michelle stored and warmed up for me. I had a late flight out of Fiji the next day so Michelle invited me to go to the city with her since she had some errands to do which was so much fun as the country is beautiful and the people are nice! I stayed in a single room which was decent and had everything that I needed. But the views at Stoney Creek were so amazing and stunning. It was nice just to stay and relax on the compound. I could not have asked for a better host! Thank you Michelle.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2017

I stayed here for two nights and booked a budget room. Unfortunately my flight was 4.5 hours delayed and I would not arrive until late at night. When I called to ask if I would be able to check in, Michelle was very understanding and even upgraded me to a better room so that I could have a good rest. I was very disappointed with the airline at this point and Michelle really made my day better.

She waited up for me and quickly got me to my room. The view is amazing, and at night the mountains had this mysterious, foggy look. The room was nice and I enjoyed exploring the area. Definitely recommend the Garden of the Sleeping Giant.

There's a decent food and drink selection available at the hotel and plenty of space to relax.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo