“Very old rooms but otherwise OK”
Review of Mercure Nadi

Mercure Nadi
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Nadi
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I knew this was going to be an old hotel from the other reviews, but I wasn't expecting the rooms to be that run down. The outdoor grounds of the hotel was fine and pleasant, but the pool didn't look very welcoming.

The dinner we had at the restaurant was pretty good, but breakfast was a very limited selection for the high price. The only redemption for breakfast was the guy that cooks eggs and omelettes on the spot for you.

Definitely a budget hotel and we got a good price, but would not like to stay more than one night (we did 2 nights).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear teabunnny,
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent stay with us. I'am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincere apologies. Your feedback is very important to us, as we strive provide a superior guest stay experience for all our guests.
Please rest assured your concerns have been addressed and we have undertaken appropriate measures to further improve our commitment towards positive guest experience. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 8 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Chose the Mercure in Nadi because of the positive experience we had at the Mercure in Paris. Was expecting a Melanesian mid-range hotel - not five-star, but not a disaster, either. This hotel is a disgrace to the Mercure hotel chain, and one of the worst hotels I've stayed in on my journey through the South Pacific. It was my understanding that the people from Fiji were very customer service oriented - in fact, would do whatever they could to make tourists happy, as being giving of yourself is part of the native culture. Not here. Here is everything the Mercure Nadi did wrong in only 48 hours here: (1) In every hotel I've stayed in across six countries now, an electric converter for an American plug was available at no charge by request from the front desk. Only here - out of 30 hotels in 6 countries - was I told to go across the street and buy an electric converter. Mercure - how about YOU go across the street and buy an electric converter for use by your hotel desks, especially since it costs $3, and because you'll have more use of it than I will? (2) When we asked for two hand towels to accompany the body towels, we eventually got only one, and was told this was all they had. (3) It is the general universal understanding of all American tourists that 800 and 888 numbers are free when dialing from any country. There is no signage at the front desk of the Mercure that you are charged for 800 calls, and no mention of this in their printed literature in the room about making calls, and no warning sticker on the phone. So I was on the phone 10 minutes to confirm my airline, and 18 minutes to dispute a credit card charge on Visa Card's 800 number - and was charged $165 for the two calls. The Mercure refused to reimburse the charge, claiming it was automatically billed by their service, Telecom. Telecom says that 800 numbers are billed as international numbers in Fiji, and they would not reimburse the charge, either. When I wanted to dispute the charge, two staff members consulted with the General Manager, and he didn't even have the courage to come out of the office and show his face to me. Disgusting. (3) Speaking of disgusting, have I mentioned the cracked floor tiles in the bathroom, the rips and tears in the original leather seat cushions, and the old stains on the not-quite-clean sheets? There are two unheated pools, no jacuzzi, and a fitness center that is one piece of old equipment - oh, you'll get a good workout, because the pulleys haven't been oiled since it was purchased, and you'll struggle just to use it with no weight. (4) The professional photos are totally misleading - this is a 30-year-old plus hotel formerly called the Dominion, acquired by Mercure a few years ago, and much in need of refurbishment. (5) You have to pay a ridiculously high amount for Internet service - but there is some satisfaction in using that money I had to spend at the Mercure to write this review of them on TripAdvisor! (6) While there is free shuttle service, and the van is clean and new, it is not available at the precise time you want. Ask the front desk if it can drop you off after check-out, and you instead have to get up earlier to meet the van on its schedule. I could go on. The restaurant looks nice, but has a somewhat limited menu. We might have had dinner there, but that $165 phone bill was my budget for dinner at the restaurant, so guess what? The restaurant didn't get us as customers. We did get a decent night's sleep between the roar of the jet airplanes overhead (one at midnight, the other at 8:30am). The real shame is that a lot of the staff is decent, smiles, and tries their best. But problems here seem to start at the top and work their way down, and this isn't the first Poor or Terrible review this hotel has received here under this particular General Manager. It probably won't be the last, either - some people never learn. And if the General Manager does reply to this, guess what - I don't want a general apology. I want the hotel to eat the cost of the $165 phone bill, and fully reimburse me for it. You should have signage warning tourists about this trap - and in the absence of that, this Internet post should serve as sufficient warning to all tourists. The trees may be spotlit green at night, but don't let that fool you - this tourist is burning red with anger. I will never stay at this hotel again, and I will discourage anyone and everyone from staying here, as well.

Room Tip: 800 and 888 numbers are billed as international calls. A 10 minute 800 call costs $60, an 18 minute...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David M,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience with us. I'am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my most sincere apologies. I'am surprise to read that you had asked to see the General Manager during your stay and nothing happened. The hotel structure is such, you have departmental Managers, managing the day to day operations of their departments. So during the time of your grievance you were attended to by the Assistant Manager of the hotel, who thoroughly explained to you the rationale of the telephone charges, despite your understanding that all 800 & 888 numbers should be of no charge.
In addition, I love interacting with all our guests, attending to their concerns and feedback is an opportunity I thrive on.
David M, I strongly suggest, in future please enquire with the hotel before making any calls to avoid any inconveniences.
At Mercure Nadi, we strive to provide a superior service experience for all our guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured we taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and further improve guest experience.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We are a family from Switzerland with a kid (2) and spent on our world trip for 3 and then other 3 days in Mercure Hotel in Nadi Fiji (April 2012). It is between the airport and the city, which is good. The room was clean and with little balcony (standard), with no noise from the street. The stuff was very friendly and helpful. The pool was god and there is also a little pool for the kids and a little playground. All in all a good base for visit the island with a rented car and for planning the trips for the islands. I would choose it again for a stop-over Hotel (but maybe nothing for backpacker, because there is no one to meet and making friends).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick R
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Patrick R,
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide positive comment on your previous stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with all our staff and I'am sure your feedback will serve as an encouragement to us all, as we strive to continuously improve the qualities of our service and guest experience.
Patrick R, thank you again for sharing your experience, and we trust your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Vinaka & Warm Regards

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at Mercure Nadi on August 20th 2013, on our way to Suva Next day. At 0325 in the morning 2 rather huge Fijian men were standing in my parents room, my dad yelled at them, and they walked out. Called reception and the person, said they were there. This was in room 101 next to reception. The lock on the sliding door did not work. The men were aware of this. This room was allocated to us my a Trainee, who did not realise that friends of hotel staff could slide open the door at odd time and sleep. The guy did not file a report, the girls at 8am had no idea. No apology came from the Manager when we stayed there on 26 on the way back to Sydney.this time I wanted a room on level one. This was even worse, the door looked liked it was broken into,so I had to shove my bag from the inside in case some one tried to come in. The toilet was dirty, the a.c wad loud so you could not sleep. The room was so dusty that you had trouble breathing. When we tried to enter the car park the idiot who pushes the boom gate up and down, told us to park on the side, check in than bring the car in. There was no other car in carpark. The lady who took vouchers at breakfast had such a sour face, not at all helpful could not be bothered. DO NOT STAY HERE AS IT IS NOT SAFE WHAT IF THERE WAS A COUPLE OF YOUNG LADIES WHEN THE 2 MEN WALKED IN AT 0325 am?

Room Tip: Pay the extra and stay at Denerau. This is a disgrace to the Mercure Brand of Hotels, the manager sh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sonny K
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear Sonny K,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your recent stay. We do appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our service. I was very sorry to hear of the inconvenience you experienced as a result of some negative issues during your stay.
We have a very effective preventative maintenance program, and I can assure you that all our rooms are safe and secure. In addition, for the last seven years the hotel has engaged the services of a well reknown security firm (Guard Force Ltd - Tyco Group) in Fiji, who provide well trained and professional security personnels to ensure all guests well- being and safety remains paramount at all times.
I have noted your comments regarding the toilet, the AC and the breakfast attendant. I have addressed these issues with the hotels Management Team; I sincerely apologise for these occurences. We expect the highest standards to be kept across all departments in the hotel, and to see that this did not occur during your stay is most regrettable.
The hotel typically has the reputation of providing some of the finest service around the Nadi area and it is extremely disappointing to hear that we fell short of these standards during your stay. We would dearly appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Nadi in the near future where we can personally oversee your stay to ensure it is a memorable experience. Once again, thank you Sonny K for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at the Mercure with my wife and 2 daughters, 8 and 10 for 1 night inbound and 2 nights outbound in July 13. We shared a Deluxe room with 2 double beds. The room was tidy with a worn bathroom, but all was serviceable. The breakfasts were good and the staff accommodating and friendly.
The best aspects of this hotel are its location close to other dining options and being on the main bus route to town. This along with the free airport shuttle make it somewhere we would consider using again and happy to recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Micandvic,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with comment regarding your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team, and I'am sure your feedback will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and guest stay experience.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be much more pleasant than the previous one.
Vinaka & Kind Regards