All reviews short stay close to the airport an overnight stay free shuttle transit hotel supermarket bounty jetpoint hammocks heaps taxis pacific
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We enjoyed our stay on ourreturn from the Islands but consider the menu not as interesting orwith enough variety for a second meal. The fresh food available in Nadi is of such quality and variety that it seems a shame that we had to ask where to go to get an interesting `fish' meal and then we found the local bar/food outlet just down the road, and had a very satisfactory meal. Breakfast was great and thechef on duty was most obliging but it is the evening meal and lunch being from the same menu that disappointed us. Bedroom and other service was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Glynleyhunting,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with comment regarding your recent stay. I note your positive comments in all other service areas, and didn't really enjoy our offerings during lunch and dinner.
I was quite surprised by your comments. Since April this year, we launched our new Rokete Restaurant menu which is quite popular with our guests and the magnitude of positive feedback has been encouraging, both to the staff and management.
At Mercure Nadi we have an all day menu which includes lunch and a separate dinner menu, which has a variety of Asian, Fijian, European dishes to cater for the varying appetites of our guests.
Vinaka & Kind Regards

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I knew this was going to be an old hotel from the other reviews, but I wasn't expecting the rooms to be that run down. The outdoor grounds of the hotel was fine and pleasant, but the pool didn't look very welcoming.

The dinner we had at the restaurant was pretty good, but breakfast was a very limited selection for the high price. The only redemption for breakfast was the guy that cooks eggs and omelettes on the spot for you.

Definitely a budget hotel and we got a good price, but would not like to stay more than one night (we did 2 nights).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear teabunnny,
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent stay with us. I'am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow me to express my sincere apologies. Your feedback is very important to us, as we strive provide a superior guest stay experience for all our guests.
Please rest assured your concerns have been addressed and we have undertaken appropriate measures to further improve our commitment towards positive guest experience. We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Vinaka & Regards

Reviewed September 11, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed September 8, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Jack W, General Manager at Mercure Nadi, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Chose the Mercure in Nadi because of the positive experience we had at the Mercure in Paris. Was expecting a Melanesian mid-range hotel - not five-star, but not a disaster, either. This hotel is a disgrace to the Mercure hotel chain, and one of the worst hotels I've stayed in on my journey through the South Pacific. It was my understanding that the people from Fiji were very customer service oriented - in fact, would do whatever they could to make tourists happy, as being giving of yourself is part of the native culture. Not here. Here is everything the Mercure Nadi did wrong in only 48 hours here: (1) In every hotel I've stayed in across six countries now, an electric converter for an American plug was available at no charge by request from the front desk. Only here - out of 30 hotels in 6 countries - was I told to go across the street and buy an electric converter. Mercure - how about YOU go across the street and buy an electric converter for use by your hotel desks, especially since it costs $3, and because you'll have more use of it than I will? (2) When we asked for two hand towels to accompany the body towels, we eventually got only one, and was told this was all they had. (3) It is the general universal understanding of all American tourists that 800 and 888 numbers are free when dialing from any country. There is no signage at the front desk of the Mercure that you are charged for 800 calls, and no mention of this in their printed literature in the room about making calls, and no warning sticker on the phone. So I was on the phone 10 minutes to confirm my airline, and 18 minutes to dispute a credit card charge on Visa Card's 800 number - and was charged $165 for the two calls. The Mercure refused to reimburse the charge, claiming it was automatically billed by their service, Telecom. Telecom says that 800 numbers are billed as international numbers in Fiji, and they would not reimburse the charge, either. When I wanted to dispute the charge, two staff members consulted with the General Manager, and he didn't even have the courage to come out of the office and show his face to me. Disgusting. (3) Speaking of disgusting, have I mentioned the cracked floor tiles in the bathroom, the rips and tears in the original leather seat cushions, and the old stains on the not-quite-clean sheets? There are two unheated pools, no jacuzzi, and a fitness center that is one piece of old equipment - oh, you'll get a good workout, because the pulleys haven't been oiled since it was purchased, and you'll struggle just to use it with no weight. (4) The professional photos are totally misleading - this is a 30-year-old plus hotel formerly called the Dominion, acquired by Mercure a few years ago, and much in need of refurbishment. (5) You have to pay a ridiculously high amount for Internet service - but there is some satisfaction in using that money I had to spend at the Mercure to write this review of them on TripAdvisor! (6) While there is free shuttle service, and the van is clean and new, it is not available at the precise time you want. Ask the front desk if it can drop you off after check-out, and you instead have to get up earlier to meet the van on its schedule. I could go on. The restaurant looks nice, but has a somewhat limited menu. We might have had dinner there, but that $165 phone bill was my budget for dinner at the restaurant, so guess what? The restaurant didn't get us as customers. We did get a decent night's sleep between the roar of the jet airplanes overhead (one at midnight, the other at 8:30am). The real shame is that a lot of the staff is decent, smiles, and tries their best. But problems here seem to start at the top and work their way down, and this isn't the first Poor or Terrible review this hotel has received here under this particular General Manager. It probably won't be the last, either - some people never learn. And if the General Manager does reply to this, guess what - I don't want a general apology. I want the hotel to eat the cost of the $165 phone bill, and fully reimburse me for it. You should have signage warning tourists about this trap - and in the absence of that, this Internet post should serve as sufficient warning to all tourists. The trees may be spotlit green at night, but don't let that fool you - this tourist is burning red with anger. I will never stay at this hotel again, and I will discourage anyone and everyone from staying here, as well.

Room Tip: 800 and 888 numbers are billed as international calls. A 10 minute 800 call costs $60, an 18 minute call $95. Don't get ripped off!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear David M,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience with us. I'am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my most sincere apologies. I'am surprise to read that you had asked to see the General Manager during your stay and nothing happened. The hotel structure is such, you have departmental Managers, managing the day to day operations of their departments. So during the time of your grievance you were attended to by the Assistant Manager of the hotel, who thoroughly explained to you the rationale of the telephone charges, despite your understanding that all 800 & 888 numbers should be of no charge.
In addition, I love interacting with all our guests, attending to their concerns and feedback is an opportunity I thrive on.
David M, I strongly suggest, in future please enquire with the hotel before making any calls to avoid any inconveniences.
At Mercure Nadi, we strive to provide a superior service experience for all our guests, therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured we taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and further improve guest experience.
Vinaka & Regards