“Very nice InterContinental property. Up to international standards.”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This hotel is located in Natadola Bay, which is about an hour drive from Nadi International airport. The actual distance is only 40 kilometers, but the road itself is in terrible condition. There are numerous villages that you pass by and very deep potholes.

There are few signs on the main road, but they are easy to miss if you are driving in the dark. I would suggest that you try to get to the resort during the day light hours. Also, the GPS in my phone was not able to work properly on the Pacific. I did get an approximate location based on the cell phone towers, but not the exact one.

The check in could have been better. For some reason their system showed me as a Gold member even when the correct InterContinental status is Royal Ambassador. I didn’t have the card with me so I had to log in to the Priority Club website to show them that I was indeed RA

Not sure what is the usual Royal Ambassador upgrade here but the entire Club section of the hotel was closed due to low occupancy during the southern summer. You can see the club buildings on the attached map. They are further away from the main pool and beach. I would rather be on the buildings that are next to the beach.

They hadn’t prepared a suite for me as they had the wrong status on their system. I was told that it would take 10 to 15 minutes for them to prepare a suite for me. I went to the bar by the pool and had a margarita while waiting.

The suite 2112 was a beautiful ground floor suite with an outside terrace that had a nice bath tub. You could walk on the grass to the beach or just relax on the couch outside. The living room had a really long sofa, work desk, entertainment system, a hair, and the access to the patio. Bedroom was anything you would expect from a modern hotel. There was obviously another TV and wired internet connection. The hotel didn’t have wireless internet access in the rooms. Bathroom had a shower and a toilet, but as I noted above the bath rub was actually on the outside patio.

There are two main pools around the property. According to the map there might be one in the club area as well, but that was closed as I noted earlier due to low occupancy. The main pool is by the beach and is infinity style. There are plenty of sun chairs and loungers around. You can watch the pool while eating or drinking in the pool bar/restaurant.

The other pool is closer to the buildings. There are quite a few loungers and sun chairs in this area as well. I think that this pool is a lot swallower than the infinity one.

The beach here is much better than in the Denarau area, but I would still probably spend most of my time by the pool or in the private patio. There is also a small island on the other side, that you can access during the low tide by just crawling. During the evening you can see quite a few local people crawling in the water and doing some fishing.

There are two/three restaurants on the property, and as one might expect this being a resort they are all on the high side when it comes to the price. There aren’t any local other options around. I only had a snack on the restaurant in the evening as I had arrived rather late. In the late morning I had a lunch of fried calamari and fries. Both were fine.

They had a modern fitness center that was housed in one of the buildings. It had all the modern equipment that one has come to expect.

This property surprised me very positively after subpar Hilton, Starwood, and Carlson properties in the Denarau area. This was truly made for international InterContinental standards and the target audience is definitely more upscale clientele than those of the above mentioned other hotels. The pool and beach area is basically fantastic. Employees were mainly Fijian but the GM and one lady working in the guest relations were from Australia/New Zealand.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank LoyaltyLobby
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Bula vinaka ‘LoyaltyLobby’,

We enjoyed your comprehensive review of our resort and were also happy to read your blog post. You took some great pictures and we especially enjoyed the detailed video of our Lagoon View rooms. Thank you for taking time to provide us with such great feedback.

Your comments on your check-in experience have been noted and we will be using reviews such as yours to enhance the check-in experience we provide.

We appreciate your high recommendations of our resort and hope to welcome you all back for another holiday. Please keep us in mind when making future vacation plans and e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever decide to return. I will be sure to have your booking needs looked after by our capable team at reservations.

Scott Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (2,725)

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Just returned from this Hotel. I would rate it the best in Fiji. We had a Beachfront King Room and it was very spacious. Comfortable bed, all luxury amenities and a wonderful verandah which was only metres to the great white sandy beach. The Cleopatra bath on the verandah was pure luxury with complete privacy. Adults only pool was fabulous. Food was great even though Toba Restaurant was not open in the evenings. Navo Restaurant was the best having just won the award for Best Restaurant in Fiji.

A truly 5 star resort, we have travelled to Fiji many times over the last 26 years and stayed on the mainland as well as quite a few islands and we were very impressed with the standard of service from the staff as well as all the resort facilities.

The Spa was excellent and I had the best massage.

Suggest you join the Intercontinental Ambassador Programme before arriving or on checking in, only US$200.00 for life with a yearly renewal fee, which gives you automatic upgrades, late check out, free movies, water and fruit in your room on arrival and quite a few extras. Had we be informed of this when we checked in we would have signed up right away and it would have given us an upgrade to a Beachfront Suite. Had we known about the programme before booking I then would have booked a Beachfront Suite and been automatically upgraded to Club Intercontinental. We had an inspection of the Club and the rooms with the plunge pools are magnificient with great views. Free cocktails and canapes for 2 hours of an evening, also butler service and free internet are just some of the extras at the Club.

Thank you Intercontinental we will be back.

Room Tip: Blocks 10, 11 & 12 all face the beach. Ask for a ground floor room. We had room 1113.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank babyboomer58sydney

Bula vinaka ‘babyboomer58sydney’,

We’re delighted to receive such great feedback from a ‘Senior Contributor’ and are thrilled that someone with your travel experience would rate us ‘the best in Fiji’!

Our Beachfront rooms have a great view of Natadola Bay and we’re sure you enjoyed some beautiful sunsets during your stay. We’re happy to read you liked your Cleopatra-bath as well as the room facilities.

Thank you for the great comments on our food, our adult only infinity pool and SPA InterContinental we will pass your feedback on to our department heads who will be sure to share it with their teams.

We’re excited to read you will be returning to our sunny shores for more relaxation. Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on dates and I will be sure to have our great team at reservations look after your enquiries and booking needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores!

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Fiji Golf and Spa is by far the most customer service oriented resort we have ever stayed with. As a very loyal Holiday Inn Family Hotel customer coming to Fiji and staying at the Intercontinental was a "no-brainer" for us. What we did not expect was the absolutely amazing service we have received. The rooms are exceptionally neat and clean. Housekeeping is prompt and they do not arrive in the late afternoon as many do, but get in and out before noon. The food service is great with wonderful variety presented in a very eye appealing fashion. The grounds are lovely and manicured by hand so you are not having to deal with weed eater and lawn mower noise. The common areas are clean and clutter free. There are ample beach cabanas over looking an amazingly beautiful beach. The beach is clean and wide with lots of space for combing and just enjoying the waves. It is family-centric with child care available for those with children to allow for some adult time. The family pool was nice with lots of chairs, the adults-only pool was calm and provided a nice view of the ocean. As a Royal Ambassador Member we have the privilege of staying at any Club Level available. The Club Level at this resort was by far the best we have ever had the opportunity to experience. it is like a mini-resort within a resort with private pool, bar and a gorgeous view out to sea. The club staff: Vicky, Jane, Katarine, Cagi, Finau, Maraia, Miri, Jordon, Manoa and Evoni were exceptionally attentive to our needs. A+++ to them for a genuinely positive attitude. Their attentiveness to us was over the top, their warm and welcoming smiles and the attention to detail set them apart from any other resort we have been to. This was 5 Start service at it very best!
There is a great gift shop with personal hygine items as well as a gift shop with other great gift ideas to take home to friends and family. The spa is first ate with a variety of services. The staff there is friendly and you will enjoy a little pampering. There are several places to eat. The themed buffet each evening was great with variety on the buffet or a menu for the picky eater.
If you are thinking of going to the South Pacific I recommend you purchase the Priority Privilege card. It is good in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji (it does not apply to Bora-Bora or Tahiti) and give you great discounts on food and lodging. It costs us around $300 AUD/$320UDS for the annual membership but we got our money back on the discounts. priorityprivilege.com is the website to go to to purchase the card and to read the benefits available. They say allow 10 business days for the card to arrive. Allow a couple of months for the card to arrive as it took ours almost three months, but this was right after the earthquake in Christchurch so that may have been the issue.
Overall, this has been an amazing trip and we will certainly make the effort to return.
If you choose to stay with Fiji Golf and Spa you will certainly be in for a nice vacation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Susan R

Bula vinaka Susan,

It’s always a delight to receive feedback such as yours as it shows us that we’re on the right track in making our resort a great one that guests love. We enjoyed reading your review and are thrilled you think us the ‘most customer service oriented resort’ you’ve ever stayed with!

We’re happy you enjoyed the lounge and facilities at Club InterContinental, your great comments on the service at Club were well received by the team and they were delighted you took time to mention each of them by name.

We appreciate you taking time to commend the food, grounds and resort facilities, Susan and are very excited to learn you will be returning! We look forward to welcoming you back for more exceptional service at our resort. Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on dates and I will be sure to have our team at reservations look after all your booking needs.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Having read the excellent reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor, I was happy to find a great Advance Purchase rate on the Priority Privilege web site, which I duly booked for myself, my husband and two children for 4 nights in the week before Christmas. I received a friendly welcome e-mail from the Reservations Department of this hotel, which enquired as to the ages of my children. I duly responded (they were 14 and 9 at the time), and was somewhat surprised to receive a response which casually advised me that my nightly rate had been increased by 15%, due to the fact that my eldest was aged over 12! (This was after my credit card had been charged with the full accommodation cost). I queried this with Priority Privilege (3 different people told me 3 different things - some confusion seems to exist on this matter within the Intercontinental Group), and was also advised by PP to request the hotel's Reservations Dept that it reconsider its increase. I did this, but to no avail - the clerk would not budge. And this, despite the fact that their own website states that children under 19 will be accommodated free when sharing their parents' room! (Obviously not a great introduction for a first-time visitor to the Intercon group.)

We were collected from the airport by a friendly resort driver, and arrived at the hotel to a fabulous warm welcome. The resort is beautiful, well-maintained, and staffed by incredibly friendly people. Our Garden Twin Room room was gorgeous; we especially liked the adjacent verandah and spa. My husband enjoyed going to the gym, which seemed to have a good range of new equipment, and we made use of the inifinty pool a few times - very relaxing. I did notice though, that the extra charge for my eldest child was not matched by increased access to any of the facilities - the gym is only available to those over 16, for example, ditto for the infinity pool.

My younger daughter and I made use of the gorgeous spa while we were there, and had a divine back massage and manicure. The staff could not have been more patient and kind with my child - I think the Fijian people have a genuine love for children that is apparent in all their interactions with young people. We also enjoyed the bar (brilliant affogatos!) and nightly entertainment - the village choir was especially touching, with the gorgeous little chiildren running to place leis around the necks of the guests at the end of the show - absolutely heartwarming.

All in all, we had a very relaxing stay here, but as I settled the final bill upon check out, I could not help but feel that I had been neatly snookered on the nightly rate by the hotel....Caveat emptor, particularly if you the parent of a teenager!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank deborachi
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

Bula vinaka ‘deborachi’,

Thank you for writing a review of our resort. On the whole it sounds as if you enjoyed your stay at our resort and the service provided by our friendly team. We agree that the Fijian people have a genuine love for children and we are pleased your family got to experience that during your stay!

I was concerned to read about the issues you had with the room charges and our child policy. Please e-mail me directly at scott.williams@ihg.com if you would like to discuss the matter further. I would be more than happy to explain our policies in detail.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Intercontinental Hotel and especially it's team at the Club, Finau, Jane and Marika saved our Honeymoon after we had a disastrous stay at one of Fiji's highly rated honeymoon Islands where the food was terrible and we had workmen in our room fixing the airconditioning for 3 days straight. It made using the private plunge pool and lounge area very difficult!

So after calling my travel agent in Australia she quickly arranged to get us out of there and where else would we head, the Intercontinental of course!

We were quickly escorted from the vast reception up the hill via buggy to the Club Resort area of the Hotel. The staff were very attentive checking us in and explaining all the services we were about to enjoy. The room was big and clean, with a nice plunge pool and great outdoor bath. The Club pool is great, never crowded and fab views. We enjoyed breakfast in peace and quiet in the Club lounge, then back to our room for a rest, swim then you could have lunch at the Club Lounge or hold out for the superb High Tea served every afternoon. More swimming, resting then cocktails are served in the Club Lounge for 2 hours later afternoon. The buggy would then arrive to take us downstairs for a great dinner or buffet at one of their restaurants.

This trip was last November 2011 and we had already booked to come back here with our children in July 2012 so the staff were fantastic in giving us a buggy tour of all the accommodation choices we had so we were able to make sure we had booked the correct room. We have chosen to stay in the Club area again as we don't mind taking the kids down to the lower section to swim and we have a plunge pool room booked again.

I can also thoroughly recommend the excellent spa, one of the better ones I have enjoyed around the world.

Even though we will have kids in tow I can't wait to enjoy the Intercontinental Team's hospitality again and I look forward to catching up with them all.

See you in July 2012!

Lozzie64

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lozzie64
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Bula vinaka ‘Lozzie64’,

Thank you for your lovely review. We were sorry to read of your experience on the outer islands but were glad to hear our team at Club InterContinental team assisted in making your honeymoon more memorable. Finau, Jane and Marika have received your feedback and they appreciate you taking time to mention them in your review.

A lot of our Club guests appreciate the extra benefits that are included with their stay and we are happy to read you enjoyed the Cocktails and canapés at sunset as well as the high teas in the afternoon.

We’re delighted to hear that you are already booked for a return to our sunny Natadola Bay shores! We look forward to welcoming you all back and please e-mail me directly at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever need anything more and I will have our great team at reservations take care of your queries. See you then!

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed at the Club Lounge section of the resort. The staff at the club area were the best in Fiji and probably reason enough to take a relaxing holiday with the kids to Natadola Bay. So friendly, kind, and genuinely concerned with your mental calm while you're there. Great rooms with plunge pool and open-air cleopatra style bath. Anyone thinking about Fiji should book this resort in a hurry. It's new and not likely to stay quiet for much longer! Vinaka!

Room Tip: 2312 Club level
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Mattynashville

Bula vinaka ‘Mattynashville’,

Thank you for your review of our resort. We took joy in reading your feedback and were delighted you enjoyed your stay at Club InterContinental. Your comments on our team at Club, as well as the rooms and facilities have been well received.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our Natadola Bay shores and please e-mail me directly at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on dates. I will be sure to have your bookings looked after by our great team at reservations.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights while we attended a wedding. It is a fabulous resort with a lovely relaxing atmosphere. The family pool was good for the kids, probably a bit shallow for the mums and dads but a great place to hang out and have a drink.
Happy hour in the bar was brilliant and the outlook and beach were the best we saw in Fiji. Food and service were also excellent and even when the rains came they catered for guests with umberellas or golf buggy rides to the main building.
Highly recommend this resort, we would come back again.
My child did leave his DS cover in one of the eating areas and trying to obtain info on lost property was difficult, but this is really only a minor issue overall. The on site ATM machine made it wasy to pay cash is wanting to avoid the 3% credit card surchase that all of Fiji resoirt seem to charge.

Room Tip: The ourdoor sitting area and bath provide an extra room so that you don't feel too confined
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Spanner2308

Bula vinaka ‘Spanner2308’,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. We’re delighted you enjoyed a lovely relaxing atmosphere while staying at our resort and we’re pleased to hear the issues you had while with us were resolved.

Scott Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
21.9 km away
11.1 km away
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
37.2 km away
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!