“Koryo in Tajikistan: Awesome!”
Review of Koryo Tours

Koryo Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Pyongyang
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since its inception in 1993, Koryo Tours has operated hundreds of tours and taken thousands of people to North Korea. Our mission is to facilitate responsible tourism to the world’s most isolated and least understood countries while encouraging people-to-people engagement through travel, culture, sport and humanitarian projects.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my second time to travel with Koryo Tours. The first was to North Korea last year, and this trip was to Tajikistan during Koryo's "Persian New Year" tour. I signed up for a second tour with them, because I was so pleased with their approach for the first one.

That is, Koryo's arrangements are thorough, organized, and professional. And better yet, their team makes it fun. The pre-trip communications were prompt, the details and management of the trip during our time in Tajikistan were everything I hoped for, and the follow-up afterwards was great, too.

I especially like that Koryo's tours and guides (Simon in last year's trip to North Korea, and Rich in this year's trip to Tajikistan) make a point of getting their groups off the worn paths. That is, we end up going places, seeing things and interacting with people that would not have been possible without their support and knowledge of the locations that they visit.

I've been lucky enough to travel extensively, and most of the time I've done this alone or with friends. That is, without signing up for tours. But for the locations that Koryo travels to, there's no way I would've had as deep and rich an experience if I tried to do this on my own. I highly recommend Koryo Tours, and am sure I'll be signing up for another as soon as I can.

All reviews
"kimchi"
"cultural experience"
"taking photos"

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A really well organised tour taking in all aspects of the Persian New Year celebrations and also touring the country taking in the sites of the soviet period and since independence. The visit to the Buzkashi- an incredible horse event with 200/300 riders fighting over a sheep carcass had to be seen to be believed

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Having travelled to over 130 countries I was looking for somewhere new to go. North Korea was on my radar and I grabbed the opportunity through Koryo Tours participating in the 2018 New Year's Eve Tour. This was the most profound cultural travel experience of my life! There are very few travel destinations that actually change you - North Korea is one of them.

Koryo Tours was fantastic. From the pre-departure preparations, the tour itself, and post travel support, Koryo Tours could not be faulted. I felt safe, welcomed and comfortable the entire time I was in North Korea. I had additional travel requests so I could have a more personal experience while in North Korea and Koryo Tours was able to arrange these for me. Their experience, travel support and network of contacts in North Korea are invaluable.

I had such a wonderful experience I am already making plans to return to North Korea in 2018 and will once again make arrangements through Koryo Tours. Thanks to the team at Koryo Tours, both in Beijing and North Korea, for making what was the trip of a lifetime!

1  Thank jameslsteward
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

You will hear about not seeing the real Korea but only the version the government want you to see.

However, its too easy to be cynical. We saw the local food, learnt the language and got great insight to everything we saw. We were allowed take pictures and roam in the places we visited.

It's definitely worth it even thought it might seem like one of the more pricier options.

Contact them and go!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Koryo Tours delivered one of the best travel experiences I have ever had. They were super easy to coordinate with while planning the trip and answered all our questions promptly. North Korea isn't your average tourist destination, and they did an excellent job of curating the best of the DPRK and condensing it into a tour that covered all the highlights without being overly tiring.

One of the best things we did on this trip, was a cooking class that Koryo Tours arranged specially for us. We cooked some incredibly detailed recipes like Pyongyang Cold Noodles, Kimchi and Green Bean Pancakes. I didn't even think it would be possible to take a cooking class in the DPRK, but the company made it happen, and delivered an experience of a lifetime! Our tour leader Greg was a through professional and made sure that we were safe and having a excellent time. Our local guides, Miss Kim Son Mi, and Mr Rei were excellent too and completely devoted to making the tour a success.