All reviews no lift zebra room comfy bed quiet location location is excellent minute walk wi fi would definitely stay here again reception desk very nice hotel metro station synagogue balcony kettle lidl bulgaria luxury
Reviewed January 17, 2017

I arrived to the hotel at about 9 PM. The door was locked and had a note asking me to call one of the two numbers to get in. Called the first number, a lady said it’s out of use. Called the second, got an answer. I know my phone operator will charge me about one dollar per call. It’s not that much but it feels weird to pay two dollars to get in to the hotel.

My room was in the 3rd floor, no elevator.
The single room (“Moscow”) was small. Everything was clean but very old. You could see through the bed sheet and it had holes. I had seen some pictures of nicely decorated rooms. Mine wasn't one. The heather worked well but at the same time there was a serious draft from the window - a combination that got me ill the first night. The sink and the drain were almost completely blocked. I had to shower a minute at the time, then wait for 5 minutes for the water to get down, then continue the shower.

My room was non-smoking but when people smoked in other rooms my bathroom got filled with smoke. I asked to change a room but the other single room (called “Berlin") had the same problem.

Next day when I got back to the hotel the heating was off and the room was ice cold. Couldn’t get it work and tried to call the reception and the room service for an hour, no answer. Finally tried to call the same number (again from my own phone) I had called when arriving and got an answer. The problem was fixed. The drain had also been opened during the day.

On the good side, the room was pretty cheap (about 25 dollars per night) and the staff was very friendly. When I say staff I mean the only gentleman I saw there. He must have been working 24/7 but he was always friendly, always smiling, tried his best to make situation better and many times succeeded. Also, the location is excellent. Still wouldn't come back.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the single rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank neitsytmaria
Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

The hotel meets its expectations.. No luxury, but it was clean and had comfortable mattresses. I slept very well. The hotel is located in the capital center with a nice view at the Jewish synagogue from its balcony. There are fine shops and nice restaurants nearby, with a huge variety of nice foods. Very fine, helpful and friendly staff.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2016

This wouldn’t be my typical choice of hotel, however the guys I was travelling with wanted a cheap hotel. In the past I have awarded cheap places high stars due to offering great value for money, that simply isn’t the case here. None of this is a criticism aimed at the staff, who were very friendly and professional and I have no complaint whatsoever about them. It also isn’t a criticism of the location, which is very handy for the city.

The only good thing about the room itself was the fact I had a balcony, my friends room didn’t have that and it made there room really dingy. But I had a nice view over the Sofia Synagogue. Now to everything else. The beds were terrible, low on the ground and a sheet for bedding. Worse than that for me was the lack of curtains, all I had was a very thin piece of cloth. This meant as soon as the sun rose my room was really bright and very soon too hot, waking me very early every morning, not wanted I wanted after a night out. The bathroom was horrible. More a wet room where every time I showered everything got soaked – the toilet, basin, towels, etc. I nearly smashed my head against the sink when I came in to brush my teeth after showering and lost my footing on the soaked floor. Few other things, my towels weren’t changed once, so after day three they were horrible. I didn’t even know they had offered breakfast, had I been told this I would have certainly taken up the offer (although maybe not given others views on breakfast). No normal tea and no coffee, just some cheap herbal tea. Whilst the trams in Sofia are quite traditional and cute they also make a lot of noise, the very thin windows didn’t block this out so it was incredibly noisy from my room (even though I was on the top floor).

Whilst I only paid 90 euros for three nights I can’t justify that cost given I couldn’t really sleep. If you do stay here make sure you ask for a room with a balcony, I think they are the deluxe rooms.

Room Tip: If you really do have to stay here get a deluxe room with a balcony (just make sure they have added curtains).
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank GlobalGooner81
Reviewed October 17, 2016

It is in the city center, very close to the main metro station Serdika.
The breakfast is nothing special but it is good for starting the day.
The towels were changed every day.
Nice hotel for the money.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2016 via mobile

With one exception many moons ago this is the worst hotel I have stayed in.

Sold as B&B, the breakfast was brought via a tray and poor. There was no kettle to make coffee, no coffee and only peppermint tea. No mini bar as advertised.

As you can see, there was NO BEDDING. Only a sheet provided and a thick blanket from the cupboard, which kept falling off.

The worst was that the broken shower was aimed over the toilet so showering meant showering the toilet and the whole of the bathroom as it was a really badly designed and tiny wet room.

This had the feeling of a hostel or a pay by the hour establishment.

The room was clean but the bed was just a floor bed frame with a light sheet over it.

The people were nice enough and it is close to the city centre but the place should be described as a warm, clean, safe basic 1 star hotel. Not three stars as advertised.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business