“Great place for romantic dinner and fine meat”
Review of Captain Cook

Captain Cook
Ranked #45 of 1,332 Restaurants in Sofia
Price range: US$17 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Lozenets
Description: The restaurant has a total of 180 seats, as well as two separate halls. The bigger one, called "Bakarena" ("Copper") because of its interesting mix of copper and wooden elements, provides 40 seats and is suitable for business meetings. The second one, "Onyx", is a VIP hall with 12 seats, with a very elegant interior thanks to the elements of the semi-precious onyx stones. The beautifully landscaped botanical garden, turned into a true oasis in the center of Sofia, provides 120 seats, 70 of which are located in the glazed and heated part of the garden, welcoming guests for ten months every year. The lovely plants, the murmur of the brook and the natural pond with swimming fish and ducks, will surely bring the guests of the restaurant into a peaceful and enchanting atmosphere away from the city noise. Additionally, Captain Cook restaurant has developed a special Loyal Customer Program with club cards for its regular clients.
Reviewed September 18, 2018

We celebrated my wife's birthday at the restaurant. At first, we weren't sure about the place as we don't like seafood. We decided to go for a Bulgarian salad and 2 dishes of meat and it was great. The meat was made perfectly, dishes came right on time and service was superb. really enjoyed the meal.

DME-HCSC, Manager at Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Thank you for the good words. We appreciate our client`s opinion and we are glad that we made you smile.

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Amazing place my favorite in Sofia. Good food, fresh fish, romantic place, excellent service, I strongly recommend it.

DME-HCSC, Manager at Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Reviewed July 23, 2018

One of the best meals of my trip! Very nice restaurant with elegant decor! Also great professional service! The one star missing is for smoking inside the rest. It is not good if you should enjoy the food in smoke cloud... But overall everything was perfect! Mango shrimp appetizer is a must!

DME-HCSC, Manager at Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

I’ve eaten in so many good places around the world but I wish this was in my home town. The Food was delicious. Best restaurant Tarama I’ve ever eaten. The Kobe Waygu superb. Prawns & caviar was as you’d expect from a top notch joint. Tomatoes were the tastiest I’ve had in Europe. Decent enough wine and champagne list to enjoy with your meal. Decor like a Vegas steakhouse but quality. Service was good but not high end fine dining. This place is a gem.

Reviewed July 11, 2018

I travel quite a bit professionally, usually prefer fish and seafood restaurants almost anywhere, including at home, and when my wife travels with me we are picky and often splurge. Before going to Captain Cook in Sofia we did our research, arrived wet from a thunderstorm, and left 3 hours later more than satisfied and without splurging too much.
Once you pass through the hotel lobby with an atrocious decor, the atmosphere,the decor and waters in general become much calmer . A very professional waiter accompanied us throughout, spoke excellent English and more importantly gave excellent advice. My wife is allergic to many ingredients but he passed this test with flying colors. He also doubled as sommelier since I did not recognize some of the wines (the wine-list is OK, no more).
But we came for the food. You are led to a big open fridge with today's catch, impressive and fresh for a restaurant nowhere near an ocean. We picked a lot of small dishes and various ways of preparation. All were shining in their freshness and excellently prepared. If I had to chose, I would give the chef at the barbecue the gold medal, all the rest are silver. My personal number 5 fish and seafood restaurant in the world, in a very unexpected place.