“Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #53 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
New York City, New York
“Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Just returned from my 2nd trip to Bucharest and stayed at the Duke for 1 week although it's classified as a business hotel. As they said it's a great location and the metro is a block away. The room which was an apartment type was very clean and cool, the a/c worked fine unlike some reviews stated, the bed and sofa bed were comfortable and the bathrooms spotless. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, assisted us with taxis and restaurants. McDonalds and KFC are nearby with McD's having a 24 hour express window. All in all the Duke was a good experience and I will stay there again when I return to Bucharest and recommend the Duke to all. I would rate it higher than the 3 star class it's it, I have stayed in 4 & 5 star hotels in Romania and Italy that were not as nice as the Duke.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Clean, inside quiet (likely because of not many guests at this time of the year), rooms adequately equipped for this price class. I would direct my complains to the fact that windows are small, hence rooms lack natural light and cannot be opened leaving ventilation to airconditioning only. Wouldn't help much anyway due to notorious traffic jam at the street the hotel is located (Dacia Blvd.). But windows are well insulated so no noise inside. Breakfast fare unimpressive for this class. OK for business stay, but for my money, I would try to get a better price/value ratio next time.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Steffff
swanley
Reviewed 29 March 2010

i stayed at the duke as a one night stop over, found it very clean, the staff on the front desk where very helpful, they helped me with maps and directions to where i wanted to be. the location was good for me as i needed to go the british embassy which was only a 5 minute walk
breakfast was good, they had a good range of options.
what you see in the pictures is what you get
78 ron(about £18) from the airport 20 minute drive and 5 minutes from the north station

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mikes1959
Philippines
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My first stay after a 3 year hiatus. Things looks the same if not in better condition than ever.

Great small business/tourist hotel. Good service, Excellent location next to Piata Romana. Park on the sidewalk in front of the hotel convenient.

Paid 77 euro per night with breakfast.

Duke will provide things the big hotel cannot - like easy in/out and personal service but it can't provide a kick butt indoor/outdoor garden restaurant like some of the big boy hotel$...

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Sinj66
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My reservation at Duke was made by colleagues who recommended it and a group of us stayed there. I found it clean and up to par. Don't expect too much customer service anywhere in Bucarest but I really can't complain. It was a 5 minute walk from the office, central with nearby restaurants, sites and shopping.

If you're in Bucharest for work - this hotel meets all your needs. Free wireless & computers in the business centre.

Stayed October 2008
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 December 2007

I stayed at the Duke in late November. It's a nice hotel that offers what a business traveler needs and is in a very convenient location. The metro is nearby, as are restaurants, grocery stores, and a main shopping street, and it's easy to get a taxi.

The rooms are on the large side and rather standard. The bathroom was very clean and had great water pressure in the shower. One thing that I really appreciated is that there is free wireless available, and if you don't have a laptop, there are two desktops downstairs connected to the internet that can be used free of charge by guests. Breakfast in the morning was very tasty (buffet-style).

I had to rearrange my reservation while I was there (very last minute) to make a side-trip to another city. I wasn't charged a cancellation fee and the Duke held my larger bag until I returned for my last few days in Bucharest. The front desk staff were really helpful whenever I had a question.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Staff, breakfast, free internet
  • Disliked — When I arrived, the room smelled of smoke (but it aired out...)
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
Reviewed 18 July 2007

While on a trip to Romania, my husband and I booked a few nights at the Duke hotel in Bucharesti on a hotel reservation website. We drove into town, found the hotel and checked in. When I was checking in, I ASKED if there was air conditioning (I know, we were there in May but it was SUPER hot then - in the 90's F). I was assured that there was. When my husband and I got to the room, it was hot so we immediately turned on the AC. We waited a bit and realized that it wasn't getting any cooler so we called to the front desk. They sent the bell boy up to instruct us on the use of the AC. Still it didn't get cooler. So we went downstairs and complained in person to the desk staff. They offered a different room. We went up to the new room but this time checked the AC immediately. It didn't work. So we went back downstairs and only then did the lady at the desk admit that the "AC" wasn't turned on yet. All the AC controls would turn on was a fan. Well, if it hadn't been so hot out, that might have been ok but the window didn't open in the first room and though it did in the second the traffic noise was so bad that we would never have slept. We ultimately checked out and moved to another hotel.

Aside from the problem with the AC, we found the location to be a bit out of the way and in an odd neighborhood. Hard to tell if there was good access to public transport or not.

Both rooms that I saw were small but adequate. Very "business" like. The rooms were designed so that everything was built-in and fit but not really allowing any extra room. Both rooms, though said to be non smoking, smelled of smoke.

I did like the layout of the hotel and the way the rooms were arranged around a kind of open balcony to the lobby. Each floor only has about 5 room so it was nice and intimate in that sense.

They had secure parking available just down the street.

I have to say that even with the problem of the AC and our decision to Check out, the front desk staff remained courteous.

Stayed May 2007