other traveller has booked this property
Living room Living room
The kitchen with dining area
The bathroom
The bathroom
The hall and kitchen
The bathroom and living room
The bedroom
The bedroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

MVE2014
California
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed December 17, 2015 for a stay in December 2015
people found this review helpful

Firstly, as soon as I arrived and did my initial walk through the flat, I noticed (it wasn't difficult to notice) that the flat was not of sixty square meters. It was late and I was tired after a long flight, so I said nothing about it. Nonetheless, I thought: "Misrepresentation". I, also, noticed a lot of other things that did not look the way they had appeared in the photos. Obviously, the photos are old. Again, because I was exhausted, I elected to leave the "talk" with the owners for some other time. However, there was one thing that couldn't wait for me to be well rested. Namely, there wasn't a trash can in the kitchen. I expressed my bewilderment about the absence of such an important household item, and was told that all their guests preferred putting garbage in grocery bags on the dining-room floor, otherwise, thrash in a trash can would cause a bad odor (?). I told him that I was never the one to split hairs, but that I would still like to have a trash can.

Days later, I still didn't get a trash can. I called the male co-owner of the apartment and expressed my grievance about it and another thing (I'll mention it later), and I was told that he had understood my statement about my not being a hair-splitter as my agreeing to stay in the apartment for two whole weeks without a trash can. Also, I told him that I was not able to plug the tub (I love taking baths). He told me that he would try to fix it, but if he was not able to do it, I would have to be satisfied with taking showers. When I replied that his answer was unacceptable because I wasn't able to shower without creating a small flood in the bathroom (there isn't a shower cabin or a shower curtain), he told me that this apartment wasn't the only one he had to handle. I reminded him that it was not my problem, and he came twenty minutes later. The two problems were solved and we parted as friends.

Eight days after my arrival, I had to call him again and remind him that no one yet had cleaned the place. (The flat wasn't spotless even when I arrived, although I'd made my payment weeks prior). He brought a girl to clean the place the next day.

The large mirror in the bathroom is cracked in several places; one of the cracks is huge and poses a hazard. The washing-machine left white spots (laundry detergent) all over my clothes and did not drain most of the water, so I had to wring all my laundry in the bath-tub. The fridge worked just fine. The stove, also, works, but it is quite complicated to use. They should leave instructions of its usage somewhere in the kitchen. I was too embarrassed to call again and again, so for the first several days I didn't even use the stove. The dish-washer cleans the dishes, but, alas, won't dry them. The floor in the bedroom is scratched (guests drag their luggage across it), it looks bad. The sofas were covered when I arrived, I wondered why, they'd looked really nice in the photos. Well, when I uncovered them, I saw big cuts in them as if some madman had cut them with a knife. Some of the decorative lights in the kitchen didn't work, but, I guess, that falls under the category of splitting hairs. I only mention this because I had loved seeing these lights in the kitchen cabinets in the pictures. They'd looked very charming and cute. The dining-room chairs are dirty, sorry, I meant to say filthy. Also, the front door is difficult to unlock. I, once, stood in front of the building with bags of groceries in the freezing cold for over an hour until a neighbor buzzed me in when I rang her over the inter-phone.

I know that all of this reads rather bad. It is not my intention to ruin their business, but to aid other people in making decisions. This is the only one of "London Apartments" in which I stayed. I cannot comment on their other apartments.

On the positive note, he did come to the airport to pick me up at 11pm; he did drop me off at the airport at 4am on the same day when his sister was scheduled to have a surgery; he bought two ready-made meals and a can of Coca-Cola for me because I had asked him for that favor while I was still in California (of course, I paid him). He took my mother and me out for a coffee. My mother's comment on him was: "A very nice boy".

Because of what is written in the last paragraph, I rated the apartment with three stars, although it is my honest opinion that it deserves a bit less (two and a half). I don't mean to contradict myself, but, trust me, despite all the faults, just out of the kindness of my heart, I might have given it four stars, if the female co-owner had once called me to welcome me or ask me how I was doing or if I needed anything. Let's not forget that I was there for 14 days, yet I never heard her voice or saw her face. Very, very rude.

Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing