1,069 results
All reviews independence square business suite independent square maidan nezalezhnosti excellent location the heart of the city the main square soviet times buffet breakfast small balcony old style central location lobby bar wi fi visit kiev metro station ukraine
Reviewed January 12, 2018 via mobile

The location is near "maidan". Breakfast is good and people are kind and helpfull. Most of the places to see are at a walking distance. Metro is very close, 3 minutes walking distance. Old but Clean hotel. Transport from Borisypol with metered taxi is about 16 euro.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Taner598
MarketingDep, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Hotel Ukraine, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Dear Guest!
Thank you for taking a moment to share Your experience and for high marks. We were delighted to learn that You enjoyed Your stay. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
We do hope that You will come back.
Have a nice day!

Reviewed January 9, 2018

I arrived dead-tired to the hotel on a cold December afternoon, only to be told by a cold and almost indifferent person at reception that my booking was annulled. I was told to connect on the hotel's open wifi and check with the travel service provider. After getting an email from the company that my reservation was not cancelled, I had another talk with the receptionist who then made me wait again for 20 minutes and finally said it was the mistake of the hotel! There was no apology of any sort. All I got was a half smile and a statement that my room on the 13th floor had a great view of the Maidan.

The room was spotless and well decorated and the breakfast buffet was decent (Make sure you arrive early).

The location is unbeatable.

As for the staff, it's a mixed bag. I speak perfect Russian and there were no communication problems but some of the staff members, even the younger ones, have a Soviet mindset and even tend to be a but sarcastic, while others are really nice.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank You for choosing the "Ukraine" hotel!
Thank You for taking the time to write a review and leave Your feedback which is always welcomed from our Guests.
We are very sorry that You were disappointed with the staff’s attitude to the guests. We can promise You that we will definitely clarify the situation and take all necessary measures to make sure that it will not happen again. It's a pity that this caused You some inconvenience. But any way, we hope to see You again at "Ukraine" hotel.
Have a nice day!

Reviewed January 9, 2018

rooms were of a good size and the history within the hotel you can see clearly. food is good and customer service was also good. good central location to explore from. i would visit kiev and this hotel again

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear our Guest!
Thank You for warm words.
Your opinion is very important for us. Our team would be very glad to provide accommodation for You again. Enjoy Your winter time!

Reviewed January 6, 2018

I can honestly say that I came here before and felt we had to leave. 2 years later we returned for 3 nights because I wanted to give it another chance - my wife was not so keen. There have been some changes.
Firstly the greeting at reception was so much better. We were spoken to, smiled at and apologised to when are room wasn't ready for two hours after check-in time.
Secondly, we got the view we wanted of the Maidan and the room was a very good size. I say room but truth is it was a suite of bedroom, office, living room/dinner, bathroom and hallway.
That is where the main differences stop and the difficulty begins. I have to be open and say that the building itself is something I have an invested interest in. For some time now I have been staying this group of buildings and this particular one is very important, as is its history. Many reviews mention its 'soviet' nature but that is an understatement. The building was meant to have a tall central section with spire that would have made it like the seven sisters of Moscow. A misunderstanding of Khrushchev's demands meant that it never got finished to design. In some ways this could be seen as one of the signs of the move away from the grip of Stalin. Despite this if one feels the building is alone then look at the main building of Tsinghua university. This place has witnessed so much and has been a part of so much. It has been the base for reporters, possibly snipers and certainly as a hospital. It is an underestimated landmark building that may be in prime location for further changes within Kiev.
And yet there is no information available about it and these interesting and important features are just not featured.
Whilst it can not be denied that it offers the chance to stay in such a key location for a low price it is not alone in doing so and it has problems.
The amount of room space was excellent and the views were wonderful. However, the view was spoiled by the fact that the window was filthy inside and out with handprints all over them. The furnishings were very cheap and drab, the room smelt and the bed, whilst a good size, did not have a quilt that fitted, was very low and hard and left me feeling very itchy.
The walls are very thin so every word from next door and every bathroom visit can be heard. Many doors in the corridor were sealed with tamper resistant paper strips but with no explanation. There was a kettle but no milk and the paper cups - all we were given - were not replaced even though the lids were never taken. The artwork in the room is so bad one wishes for a bare wall. Very dated but in a non traditional and cutting corners/low budget way. Our bedside light, there was only one, was plugged in in such a way that you had to get out of bed to turn it off - although as it went on and off by itself anyway we decided not to risk the electrics and unplugged it.
Lifts do not relate to each other and only one has been slightly modernised.
Breakfast is awful and I found it upsetting watching young staff struggle to stay cheerful and polite. Older staff seem to have given up on that aspect and do not even give eye contact. Having said that, most of the other customers didn't either. Very crowded if not early for it and quite unusual. The omelette is possibly the worst I have had but that didn't stop one customer literally taking an entire load, leaving none for others, back to a table for his group to share. I saw this happen again when bread came out and people took whole loaves. The veg salad is to be avoided. Coffee is surprisingly good. Whilst the main room was clean the table tops are a constant spill zone.
On arrival and at any other time we were offered no help with anything. I recently hurt my knees and walk with an obvious limp - even when struggling up stairs and through doors there is no porter to help and even though staff in suits and badges stood in the lobby there was not even an offer of assistance.
Payment of the total bill is demanded at check-in rather than the usual check-out. There is no room account so drinks in the lobby have to be paid as you drink them.
There is plenty of staff, most looking fed-up, and whilst reception staff were much improved this is not across the board. Housekeeping was hit and miss - things were not replenished and the room was not done until quite late.
Location is very good but not without problems. The Globus is directly opposite and during the day it is convenient for shopping and as a quick way to get into town. At night groups of youths can gather there drinking, being noisy and spitting. These groups have to be walked through to get to the hotel and the hotel does not seem to have any security on the door. The one security like person we saw was positioned at a desk hidden between lifts.
In short I felt I wanted to give it another chance, I doubt if I will again. It has a lot going for it - its architecture, history, location but none of these are made use of. It advertises as a four star hotel - it is far from that standard and barely ticks those boxes. Its facilities are presented in the cheapest form from shampoo that is like washing up liquid to paper cups to there only being one bin in the 'business suite'. It is a place worth looking at but not staying in, there are much better places that cost more but there are also other cheap alternatives as well.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jim m

Thank You for choosing the "Ukraine" hotel!
We are very sorry that You have faced with such an issues. Thank You for mentioning it in the review. Because of Your attentive commentary, we can correct the defects and receive better impression from our guest next time. Thank You for understanding.
Thanks a lot for Your review.
Looking forward to welcome You again, next time You visit Kyiv!
Have a good day!

Reviewed January 6, 2018

The most imposing ex-Soviet hotel in the city - and worth staying just for the memories.

The hotel is vast and the rooms are spacious and well-heated and comfortable. The beds are huge and the bed linen lovely. There is an odd mix of plush opulence/austerity in the rooms - which are priced very reasonably by European standards. Plenty of thick towels and hot water in the bathroom.

Only four idependent lifts for the entire tower, and you have push all four buttons to get one to come first.

The breakfast is sumptuous. Thre only let down is the bread! No excellent Ukranian bread, only a selection of industrial-baked-goods-quality seeded "soft" breads. A pity.

When you arrive at the square below the hotel, be careful how you walk uo to the hotel. You can enter through the shopping centre, go to the top floor and out the back door which in front of the hotel car park entrance. If the shopping centre is closed, follow the street up a round to the left and walk up the hill to the hotel. If coming by metro, take care not to try to enter the hotel from the right hand side, you can´t - you´ll end up as I did walking twice as far up hill and round the block at the back, then returning downhill the other side - not a good idea!

Great hotel. Friendly barman, prices abusive!

There is a sauna and it´s open until midnight.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank patersontenerife

Thank You for choosing the "Ukraine" hotel!
It is nice to see good marks for our service, but there is a space for improvement all the time.
Hope that we will be able to welcome You back soon.