“bad first impression” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Portland, Oregon
“bad first impression”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

waited over an hour for a night time shuttle, prepaid, that never came. After calling, female manager of the evening (March 12 at 10 pm)confirmed my name, said "shuttle was there, my plane was 15 minutes late, so shuttle left." When I asked if they would return, she confirmed 'yes'. After waiting a half hour, another hotel shuttle service employee who was concerend about me, called the Holiday Inn on his phone, spoke with same female manager, who confirmed, shuttle would return in 10 minutes. Over the next 30 minutes, two more calls, same reply, "10 minutes more please". Finally, I was the only one remaining at the airport, standing in the dark. No longer taxis were around. As I began to feel a little like a female target at 11 pm, I rolled my baggage across the street a little ways to the nearest walking distance hotel and secured a taxi at my own expense for $20 USD to take me to the Holiday Inn. Upon finally arriving, I was offered no apology, the employee whom I had spoken too had left for the evening. No one followed up with me the remaining week I stayed there. This was very bad service and could have been dangerous situation. Thankfully, the remainder of the stay was comfortable. Otherwise, Room very nice, comfy bed, meals excellent, service in restaurant excellent and front desk personel helpful. Never did track down the culprit from the first night. Would recommend hotel but not take shuttle.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
EIMejia, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear Guest:

Receive our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had with the shuttle service at your arrival. We will take the necessary steps in order this situation does not happen again.

I am sure the Guest Service was not informed about your experience, since she would have contact you at the very earliest.

Thanks for your positive comments about the accommodation and the service you received during your stay. We appreciate your kind opinion and we hope you to give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Room Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

The poor guy at the front desk when we arrived. He was underwater. With multiple events happening that weekend, the hotel was overbooked, guests were waiting, no rooms were available and he was trying to arrange rooms at a nearby hotel. Add to the fact that it was getting later in the evening and there were only two people on the front desk - just a mess.

The Holiday Inn Select Managua is a nice hotel. I like it. The rooms are clean. The service is friendly. Seemingly everyone speaks English but we arrived while the hotel was bursting at the seams with guests and events. No matter how good your team, when you're running right on the edge, there's always going to be some kind of leak.

Would I stay again? Certainly. The rooms were nice, the grounds well-kept, the food decent and the pool is lovely. We spent one day by the pool after the crazy weekend and all was quiet.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EIMejia, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear guest:

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience in our hotel. We value your comments since this help us to identify areas that need improvement.

All our staff work for your comfort and satisfaction. We are happy to know that the rest of your stay was pleaseant and comfortable and that our service was nicely appreciated.

We hope you to visit us again to serve you as you deserve.

Sincely,

United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2011

Had a room over the casino in the hotel. Room smelled like smoke and if you opened your balcony you could smell the burning trash in the air. First night in the room, I killed a HUGE ant. One night when I couldn't sleep cause I was all congested due to the smoke, I called the front desk and asked to speak to someone that spoke English. They put me on hold, laughed and hung up. I was too tired to deal with switching my rooms since it was early in the AM. In the morning, when I woke up, I had no voice. I told my colleague about what happened and he offered to switch rooms with me when we came back from work. Once we switched, I was able to get a good night's rest. In my old room, my colleague saw a HUGE roach crawling across the ceiling. Restaurant had good food with local fare. As I lost my voice, I figured I should start drinking hot tea to help my throat. I ordered a pot of hot tea and poured the last cup and had a ROACH at the bottom of my cup. I couldn't of felt sicker. If there were bugs in the rooms, there's no telling what they have in the kitchen. This is not your typical Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EIMejia, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, 7 March 2011
Dear guest:

Receive our sincere apology for the recent experience you had at the hotel. Since the security of our guests is a priority matter for us, we had an strictic control of insects and we had a program that it is executed every day, so we will take inmediatly action about this.

Also we are sorry that you were not attended as you deserved for the receptionist. I am adressing your comments to the General Manager and The staff involved in order they can take the necessary steps to make sure that this is not going to happen again.

We appreciate your comments and be sure we will work on this opportunity areas.

We hope to serve you in the future as you deserved.

Truly,

Pickering, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

Traveled to Nicaragua with two young kids... My wife and I found the staff at reception very helpful, especially since I speak very little spanish. The rooms were very clean and the few nights where we ordered room service they were very quick. The entire family, kids included, found that the buffet food at the restaurant to be very good with fresh fruit and a lot of the local cuisine that you'd expect, such as Nacatamal, Gallo Pinto, etc... We were never disappointed that's for sure.

My only complaint was a lunch buffet that we had gone to in the hotel... Now the food selection was great but since we had checked out since we were heading to San Juan del Sur, we ended up paying for the meal. It happened to be a 2 for 1 deal that day. As I was getting up to get more dessert we were greeted by the hostess to let us know that we can only serve ourselves dessert a single time, and if we wanted more we'd have to pay more. Either buffet in Nicaragua differs than every other place I've been, but my understanding is that buffet is eat what you want...

Other than that, we'll definitely be returning when we travel to Nicaragua. This was our second time at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Antigua, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

I stayed here for four nights and the overall experience was fine. However, I did encounter a few problems in my room: The room had ants, (Curious for a 4th floor room), the drapes did not close properly and the bathtub was showing some wear. The restaurant's food was fine, however I felt it was a little overpriced, especially for Nicaragua. You can dine better in a nice restaurant for much less, and there are quite a few good restaurants close to the hotel, just a short taxi ride away.

The hotel taxi service was good, although quite expensive, as well. (I guess something you expect from a hotel taxi service) However, what really bothered me is that helping to translate to a group of Italians when negotiating a taxi, I let the driver know that they wanted to go to a certain shopping center and he replied that it was closed that day. Later on, I found myself in that very same shopping center and it was a lie, it was open and I guess his intention was to take them as far away as possible, what I find a very dishonest way of making money. I let the hotel staff know about it.

The staff was always helpful and friendly and that is what really made the difference for me.

The pool area is great, except when they play loud music there. I was unlucky because there was building going on in that area during my stay, what resulted in lots of noise. They have an excellent gym, as well. And the business center services are free, as is the WiFi. A big plus for me.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EIMejia, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 December 2010
Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn during your stay in Managua. Your comments are greatly appreciated, since you give us the the opportunity to identify areas of improvement.

We are sending your comments to the involve managers in order to take the appropiate actions.

All are staff is grateful for your comments about their service and hope you come back soon to serve you as you deserve.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hospitality of the hotel staff were excellent. They were very efficient and responded promptly any request made to them. Congratulations on the hospitaly and the services, like the free internet and the breakfast. The hotel is in very good condition. My only recommendation to the Holiday Inn Chain is to check the televisions, which are a little older, and the air conditioners, which are a little noisy.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your comments about your recent experience during your stay in our hotel. We really appreciate your oppinion and it will be addressed to all the people involved since it is very important for them to know how our visitors appreciate their service.

Your suggestion have been delivered to the General Manager. However we are glad to tell you that all our t v will be replaced next year.

Have a wonderful Holidays!!!

Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The hotel is well located in Managua with good transportation everywhere. The tariff is affordable and the servirce is quite well.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business