“Garceth is the best!”

and up
Embera Village Day Tour
Ranked #16 of 170 Tours in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Join with me as an authentic Embera guide I will give to you thrusful, deep information as no one,have the opportunity to learn about my culture, believe, tradition of the real Embera experience.
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Accommodating would be an understatement. It was as if we were given a tour by a villager. The difference is that this one came and left with us. He even went swimming in the river with us. As a side note, I needed to get a phone card. This gentleman actually took us into the mall, facilitated it's purchase and made sure it worked before we parted ways. A plethora of knowledge we learned so much on the tour. His only concern was that we were taken care of. He knew the answers to the all of the annoying questions we asked. He was the ultimate guide and I would recommend him to anyone. One note, this is the real deal. The villagers are allowing you to be their guests and experience how they live. Be respectful and not the ugly tourists and remember, when the solar flare hits and paralyzes us all, they even wont realize something has changed.

3  Thank AndyC C
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"dugout canoe"
in 33 reviews
in 26 reviews
"chagres river"
in 16 reviews
"served in banana leaves"
"culture and traditions"
"fresh fish"
in 5 reviews
"very interesting tour"

Reviewed 31 January 2013

We took the trip with Garceth. It seemed to us from the tours we read about that this would be the least visited village. The canoe ride was through some of the most beautiful areas. Garceth pointed out areas of interest on the way. Upon arrival and greeting, we were treated to a long explanation and demonstration of many items of their way of life. We asked so many additional questions and felt we learned much about them and their culture and life. After that we had a lunch prepared of fish and plantains along with a huge mound of pineapple and melon. All was fresh and tasted good. Some of us went on a hike to learn about plants they use in daily life. A couple of us stayed in the village and were pleasantly surprised to find a young girl who spoke fairly good English. She had stayed with a Missionary and learned the language there. We enjoyed sitting around and getting to know her and her family and she asked us about our lives back home. While our life styles are so different, we are all the same when it comes to children and families.
We did have an opportunity to buy some beautiful baskets, carvings and silver jewelry. Our biggest disappointment was that we didn't bring more money. I would have liked to buy more. It was an amazing trip and I will never forget it. Garceth was excellent and took the time to make sure we understood the people and their culture. I would recommend this very highly. I was skeptical because I was concerned it would be too "touristy". The young lady we met did say when they have visitors it is a day off of work for them and they enjoy it very much.

3  Thank Janis B
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Garceth, as an Embera Indian himself, brings additional information and background to this unique tour. We rode to the Embera Puru Village in a dugout canoe, which in itself was like going back in time. The villagers were very friendly and welcoming as they shared information about their lifestyle, creating handicrafts, and day to day life. We had a hike through the jungle with a healer who pointed out different plants used in healing and then we had a delicious meal served in a leaf bowl. The villagers performed several dances and we were all invited to join in.This was a very special tour. Don't miss learning more about this unique culture.

2  Thank Mary4491
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I took the tour with emberavillagetours.com and Anne was our guide. She is from the USA but married one of the Embera men after meeting him while working on a documentary filmed in the village. This is one of those once in a lifetime experiences that I am so glad I didnt miss. The Embara people are very nice and the children was beautiful. They loved having their photos taken and the lunch they prepared for us was delcious. I highly recommend contacting Anne for the experience.

3  Thank Becky55
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We traveled with Gamboa Tours, which was prompt, individualized and personal. We agree with all the reviews that this is a tour not to be missed for its educational value. We left the tour quickly as there was an impending rain storm, which we just missed in the canoes, but which made our return drive through the rainforest and additional experience as our driver and guide evaded numerous downed trees which blocked the road. Gamboa Tours, in general, provided good drivers, who were always on time, courteous, and knowledgeable, and who made our visit to Panama worry free.

1  Thank M B