“highlight of panama trip”

Embera Tours Panama
Book In Advance
More Info
US$152.99*
and up
Authentic Embera Indian Village Tour
Ranked #17 of 186 Tours in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Join with me as an authentic Embera guide I will give to you thrusful, deep information as no one,have the opportunity to learn about my culture, believe, tradition of the real Embera experience.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been traveling Central America for the past 5 months and yesterday, just before the end of my trip, I had the most amazing tour with www.emberatourspanama.com. The owner and guide is Garceth Cunampio and he is extremely knowledgeable and personable, being an Embera himself. The trip started at 7:30am, a drive of just over an hour to arrive at the river where you board a long dugout canoe. Because of the low water level, the trip up the river to the village took almost 2 hours, but the bird life enroute was great. Arriving at the village we were greeted by the village men playing music for us. We proceeded to have a tour and walk with the old medicine man, who explained the different plants and their use. Then we had a delicious lunch served by the women, followed by an interesting talk by the village chief about the Embera culture. Then there was time to visit the school, shop for handicrafts (which were exceptional, I didn't take enough money) and time for a swim in the clear river if you desired. The cultural experience was fantastic, the villagers were very friendly and I can totally recommend going with Garceth to see the Embera people. You will not be disappointed.

4  Thank cohoqueen1
in 6 reviews
"villagers"
in 37 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2013

excellent tour we also booked online =) everybody was very friendly with us. Good and nice food, the dance was amazing. We recommend this tour to everybody. it was an amazing adventure for us. thanks a lot

1  Thank Sarb379
Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a fantastic tour...we booked this online with the website mentioned above...this was the best tour we booked when we did our cruise through western caribbean...the guide was super friendly,on time in the morning and on time back to the ship...the people prepared food for us..fantastic fresh grilled fish in banana leafs...they danced for us ,we received also explanations about different trees and medical effects...for us it was a fantasic experience..this is our top three experience...so book it...whawwww..you can not explain this in words..it's magic...

2  Thank xavke
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked the Embera Indian Village excursion through Celebrity to be assured I'd finally visit a Central American indigenous tribe. Two failed attempts to visit the Carib Indians in Dominica due to excursion cancellations due to lack of interest. After a dugout canoe ride up the Chagres River and across Gatun Lake, we arrived at the village. The native dress, and the children especially, were incredible. When I know I'll be meeting children, I bring along either candy or trinkets. I had two tubes of glow bracelets, and they were welcomed with giggles and glee by the children but moreso by the adult women. By the time we left the village, most of the women were wearing the bracelets.

We learned about craft making, food preparation, life and death celebrations (most interesting that death is a joyous event but birth is not), etc. I had the opportunity to have an Embera woman dress me in her native garb, breast plate and all. Women were given gorgeous hibiscus tiaras (mine got drenched on the canoe ride back to the bus), and we dined on fresh tilapia from the lake...bones and all. I've yet to acquire a taste for fried plantains. The serving plate was a cleverly folded banana leaf held together by an hibiscus flower's stem.

Don't miss this experience if you love learning about other cultures. Also, don't miss the bano experience. I used the men's as the women's was occupied. Can't find the words to describe this.

4  Thank jazapsu
See more reviews
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Judy Tovar at Easytravel@cwpanama.net was a dream to work with. Daniel, our guide, picked the 8 of us up at the Bristol hotel before 8. A quick stop for fresh fruit at a road side market to be prepared for our lunch and we were off on an amazing adventure. Cesar met us in his handmade, motorized canoe for a scenic ride thru a pristine world, landing on an area isolated from the villages. He led us on a hike thru the rainforest to an amazing waterfall with water so clear you could count the individual stones on the bottom of the pool. Back in the village we ate delicious fish and plantains cooked over an open fire, served in a banana leaf, flower bedecked wrap. Natives, dressed minimally in the most vibrant fabrics, demonstrated basket weaving, woodcarving and palm nut carving. (The palm nut carvings were half the price of the ones sold at the Panama Canal.). There was little bargaining, but all were quality products. We joined in dancing with them. they are the most beautiful people and an example of how little it takes to be happy. like adventure tours so this one pleased me more than our canal tour.

2  Thank Razorsue