“HIGHLIGHT of Panama trip”

Embera Tours Panama
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Embera Village Day Tour
Ranked #16 of 170 Tours in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Join with me as an authentic Embera guide I will give to you thrusful, deep information as no one,have the opportunity to learn about my culture, believe, tradition of the real Embera experience.
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our overnight stay in the Embera village of Puru was nothing less than transcendent!! We chose a tour with Garceth Cunampio, who is Embera himself and can answer any question about tribe customs. The show and meal that villagers put on for tourists was fun, but staying overnight, rustic as it was (it did include mosquito nets, thin mattress and bedding), gave me, my husband and two teen boys the chance to interact more with the residents and observe how they went about all kinds of actions in their brightly colored loincloths or sarongs. We were gracefully welcomed and the village setting is breath-taking, especially in the morning mist.

4  Thank Cathy K
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"dugout canoe"
in 33 reviews
in 26 reviews
"chagres river"
in 16 reviews
"served in banana leaves"
"culture and traditions"
"fresh fish"
in 5 reviews
"very interesting tour"

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our family of 6 (includes ages 18 thru 28) are seasoned travelers from Chicago. When planning our Panama vacation we used Tripadvisor to choose our Embera Tour and I was so impressed I knew that I wanted Garceth as our guide to the Embera Village. Garceth is Embera who is well-educated and obviously extremely knowledgeable. Who better to explain the Embera background and culture? He was excellent in our pre-trip planning, he and his very personable driver were prompt and accommodating. If you are interested in understanding different cultures, natural resources (we took a walk with the village medicine man to understand the use of plants in healing), as well as the bonus of purchasing a hand-crafted beautiful basket from the woman who created it, do not miss this tour! Can't say enough good things about Garceth! and hands down this was one of the memorable experiences for our family!

3  Thank susann888888
Reviewed 19 December 2013

What an experience to visit the Puru Village, just approx. 2 hours from
modern Panama City. Very friendly people, who seem very happy to
live their life in the same way that their ancestors did for hundreds of years.
The excursion is very well organised and our guide Daniel was outstanding.
The Highlight of our short trip to Panama. Make sure to book through:

2  Thank Derobo
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Trip starts out with a 45 minute dugout canoe ride down a river and across Madden Lake and up some rapids to the Embera Village. It's a small village of about 125 people. The medicine Man took us for a walk outside the village and explained the use of plants in treatments of various ills.

We enjoyed a native lunch; talked with the chief about village operations. Bought some of their lovely crafts that were on display. Had a extensive time strolling through the village; talking with the village people and their children. Then enjoyed some dancing and swimming in the river. GREAT people!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I don't have a lot of specifics to add to the earlier reviews, except to say how awesome it was to have a tour director (Garceth, the owner of the business) who is himself an Embera and grew up in a village much like the one that we visited (in Darien, not in the area that we visited on the tour) and thus knows the local language and culture as an insider, not a Western outsider. I was a bit concerned ahead of time that the visit might feel exploitative, but Garceth's presence ensured that it was nothing like that. Instead, we felt like we had stumbled into a National Geographic documentary. The people were warm and friendly and eager to have us learn about their culture, and they tried their best to communicate with us in Spanish. (Don't expect more than a few words of English.) Their handicrafts were truly amazing--I wished that I had brought more money with me so that I could take more objects home to display while also helping them financially. It was so cool to be able to buy a rosewood iguana that was hand-carved by their chief, who personally wrapped it up for me! All seven of us in our group of middle-aged Americans agreed that this was the best thing that we did during our nearly two weeks in Panama. And the price was good, too--notably cheaper than any of the other tour operators if you take a rental car and follow Garceth out to the boat launch site rather than having him transport you there. Don't miss this opportunity!!!

3  Thank Chris S