“Eye-opening for my 9 and 6 year-old daughters”

Embera Tours Panama
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Embera Village Day Tour
Ranked #16 of 170 Tours in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Join with me as an authentic Embera guide I will give to you thrusful, deep information as no one,have the opportunity to learn about my culture, believe, tradition of the real Embera experience.
Reviewed 14 April 2015

The visit to the embera was our most memorable part of our trip. It felt a little uncomfortable that these folks lives and culture have been so disrupted that they must become a part of an industry satisfying our voyeuristic pleasures in order to survive. That being said, my daughter walked away with an appreciation for the privileged lives they have and an increased curiosity and understanding of the lives and experiences of others.

2  Thank Jake T
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"dugout canoe"
in 33 reviews
in 26 reviews
"chagres river"
in 16 reviews
"served in banana leaves"
"culture and traditions"
"fresh fish"
in 5 reviews
"very interesting tour"

Reviewed 12 April 2015

It is about an hour ride by van to catch the boats that take you to this indigenous tribal community that gives you an idea of the past cultural impact these people had in this área. You get to taste their talapia fish...very tasty I might add and their folk dances with their kids included are very cute....sweet and peaceful people....I left wishing I knew more about their past and present situations, but the barrier of time and language prevented me from doing so. I wish that they would have a hut with a DVD player giving a better historical over view and recent up dates..like how the village actually functions politically and relationally when it come to marriage etc but I loved it over all

2  Thank Thomas W
Reviewed 21 March 2015

We visited Panama on a cruise ship so no excursion was going to be that special due to the number of people involved. The journey from Lake Gatun to Chagres River was interesting as we passed rural views and local villages. The trip was spoilt by the non-stop commentary by our guide but others seems to appreciate his efforts.
The river journey was special in dugout canoes that leaked a bit but powered by Suzuki outboard motors. We travelled into the rain forest which closed on both sides. There were houses with small areas of deforestation around them but overall little sign of human habitation. We saw a few birds but no large mammals.
Once at the Embera Village, one of a few that are visited by tourists, we were welcomed by traditional music and then we were able to wander around the outside of homes and school. This appeared to be a real village. There was dancing and music plus the crafts to buy as expected. It was interesting to learn how the fibres are stained by natural products and woven so tightly that dishes hold liquids. There was a long drop latrine for guests.
There were just too many people for the atmosphere to be meaningful and the costumes seemed too similar to be fully authentic but this was as good as one could expect from a cruise excursion.

4  Thank Dean-Traveller
Reviewed 9 March 2015

We arrived there by boat. The local tribe people did some of their traditional dances and the normal touristy tables with souvenirs were available to the tourists. Lunch prepared by the locals was provided. All in all an interesting experience, but very touristy.

4  Thank Dajoma