“Lots of International Food”
Review of Riba-Smith

Riba-Smith
Ranked #311 of 1,041 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Central American
Reviewed 11 February 2016

It was just a short 10 minute walk from our hotel to Riba-Smith in Balboa /Aquilino de La Guardia area. It's a very strange building, looks nothing like a Supermarket from the outside and at first we were quite suspicious. But many of the airline crews staying at our hotel went in there and we just followed. Store was well stocked. We were shocked about the prices, certainly would have expected prices lower than in the U.S. They were not. But we saw plenty of Expats filling their baskets here. Nice selection of International food. good bread selection and nice meat counter. $ 2.50 for a 2 l bottle of 7up was a lot, but it turned out the bottle came from the States. One extra star for the convenience. Having I.D. with you when paying with Credit Card is a must. There are also two food courts outside the check out area.

There are newer reviews for Riba-Smith

Reviewed 28 December 2015

Been vacationing in Panama City for 3 weeks, done most of my grocery shopping at the Supermercados Rey in En Cangrejo or the Riba Smith off Balboa/Calle 46.

Today I decide to walk down to the Multiplaza mall. There is a rather new Riba Smith next door, so I decided to pick up some things before walking back to my condo.

Nice store, until you get to the check out. Placed my items on the counter, she rang them up... about $20... I handed her my Master Card. She looked up at me and asked for ID... no problem. You see, they do the same thing most of the time when you check out... I get it and agree.

Remember now... you are told when entering Panama that you should make a photo-copy of your passport and use that for ID. Keep your original passport locked up...

Now today... that photocopy wasn't good enough. The checker game me a disgusted look, said something I didn't understand and then she reaches under the counter to obviously push some kind of alert button...

5 seconds later, the manager flies into the scene with two security guys in tow. I get grilled several times about my ID and where my real ID and on and on... the guy keeps looking me up and down. I finally said hey.. I didn't need to shop here, give me back my ID and card and I'll be on my way. Now there's a huge line behind me, people are getting impatient and I'm sure you know how I felt...

Finally the guy gives his blessing and I get my stuff... couldn't wait to get out of the store.

In the future, all of my shopping will be at the Rey or the Super 99...if I were you, I'd avoid the Riba Smith as I will.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

This is definitely the best supermarket in Panama. It is clean, products are always fresh, and the customer service is fantastic. This supermarket makes many of its own products. Their bread is the best. Their ice cream is delicious and comes in many surprising flavors like green tea and even avocado. Besides the supermarket, there is a cafeteria and a coffee shop. The food is very good and affordable. This is the only supermarket I shop at.

1  Thank Kim C
Reviewed 23 October 2015

Convenient supermarket near Balboa /Aquilino de La Guardia area. Decent prices. Many times better than using the hotel's minibar.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Have visited different locations in Panama and have been equally satisfied each time. The variety of products is appreciated by locals and gringos alike. The stores are always clean and organized well and the cafeteria selections always look good and are affordable. And...the fresh ice cream is the best! Even if you're not into grocery shopping, a trip to Riba Smith is worthwhile.

1  Thank klw4307