Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Alexandria
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Alexandria
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Bugs”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel because it was pet friendly and reasonably priced, it was a terrible mistake. We first pulled up and the landscaping had not been tended to in quite some time which should have been our first clue. The hotel in general is very dated bordering on run-down. Basically the parking lot was full of truckers drinking and grilling and being very loud all evening. The rooms were dirty and once the roaches came out we left and were stuck trying to find alternate accommodations in the middle of the night. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shugs98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Alexandria, Louisiana
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I had a five night stay here and regretted every moment. I made the mistake of walking barefoot inside my room and stepped on a roach! I was absolutely disgusted, especially when the next morning there was another huge roach at the end of my bed. The walls, doors and door knobs inside the room were sticky and dirty. I wanted to throw bleach everywhere to sanitize the room before I touched anything. Think twice, or you'll be sleeping with more than you bargin for.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I had to stay here with my family recently due to the weather conditions and not being to dry. This was the third hotel I tried all the other ones were trying to charge a premium due to icy road conditions. Econo Lodge Inn and Suites was very accommodating and helpful to my family. Thank you so much for the great service and a clean room.

• Stayed February 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We reserved a non-smoking room here online based on the somewhat positive reviews here at tripadvisor. We arrived after 8 pm to no marquee lights, no outdoor illuminated signage and no cars in the parking lot...our first warning. Staff assigned us a ground floor room in the back of the hotel. First impressions were that we had just been assigned to some place just above hell...then within 5 minutes we were assaulted by at least 2 roaches and we new we were closer to hell than we first thought. Staff seemed somewhat surprised by complaint and amiably moved us to upstairs room in another building. After what seemed like a gallows walk across a filthy courtyard we arrived at room #2 that upon a now wary but brief inspection revealed a shower that had clearly not seen the benefit of a housekeeper in a long while. It's not easy to leave a hotel without knowing where you will lay your head...but for the first time ever, we as a family decided that we would rather take our chances with any other Alexandria, LA hotel. Do not reserve here without a complete and thorough soul search.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Covington, GA
Reviewed 26 May 2010

My family and I just visited Alexandria to attend a funeral. We have visited Alexandria at least 3 times in the past 3 years and stayed at another hotel while there, but we decided to stay at this one due to the reviews, along with other family members. Unfortunately, I cannot give this hotel a good rating. We have traveled a lot over the past 10 years and stayed at various hotels, ranging from 1-star economy to 4-star luxury (feel free to read my other reviews), so I consider my reviews fair and equitable. (meaning, I understand there are good 1-star hotels and bad 4-star hotels)

I consider this hotel a bad one. Although the staff was accommodating enough, it wasn’t enough to make up for the quality and service we expected, even for a 1-star hotel.

First, based on the previous reviews, I thought the hotel had recently experienced a renovation, but we didn’t notice anything that looked renovated. In fact, it still had a very, very old smell. The property was not well-kept at all, including the grounds. Check-in was smooth enough, I requested adjoining rooms, but they apparently were not available, so we ended up with separated rooms. However, it was quite noticeable that the hotel was not fully booked. At night, the parking lot seemed quite empty, so I did not understand why our request was not honored.

Second, we asked for non-smoking rooms, which we got, but there was still the slight, lingering smell of smoking. The rooms were okay at best. The rugs needed updating, especially in the hallways. The blinds did not close properly at night, so bright outdoor lighting seemed to stream in at times. The bathroom really needed updating: the toilet, tub and shower were all outdated and needed replacing. There was a constant drip in the tub, but not loud enough to hear from the beds. When I made coffee in the room, the sugar was so old, the packets were hard (hadn't seen that in a while).

Third, it was extremely hot in Alexandria. The air conditioning in our kids’ room wasn’t working well, neither was the cable tv. Fortunately, a maintenance man responded promptly and fixed the problems.

Fourth, our kids constantly asked to swim in the pool. The day we decided to let them, the pool was temporarily closed because a “chemical” (probably chlorine) had been added and they needed a few hours for it to dilute. When we looked at the pool, it looked as if the water had not been changed (filtered) in quite a while, it had that “green” look such that you could not see the bottom. We let the kids swim once, but that was it. I think the chlorine was used to cover up the murkiness of the water. Although other guests used it at times, I recommend not using it.

Fifth, one day we needed replacement towels because our room, at our request, was not cleaned. When I tried to get some towels from the front desk that evening, there was no one around and the lobby looked as if it was officially “closed”. I tried again the following morning, and the attendant was not able to get any until housekeeping staff arrived at 8:00 a.m. We finally got some towels around 11:00 a.m.; almost 36 hours later. I don’t mean to be a stickler, but that’s not good in my book.

Sixth, they offered a free, hot breakfast every morning, but it didn’t look all that sanitary (due to a few flying gnats hovering around the food).

Well, I think I’ve said enough. I know that a hotel of this caliber will have a certain level of quality and service, but, in my opinion, and based on our experience, it did not even meet that level. (The Super8 we've stayed at before was a little better) So, we will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Cov Traveler
houston
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I spent three days with my family in this hotel while I was visiting family. Everything was excellent, from the room to the management and personnel. When I come back to Alexandria, I will stay in this hotel for sure. The personnell and managemnt are very friendly and will make sure everything I need will be done as soon as I asked. Thank you for the managment and personnell, they make my stay very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
londonderry
Reviewed 28 February 2010

we had great experience , hotel looks like it has renovated recently.rooms were clean,service was great,free hot breakfast with sausage was added bonus, .

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business