“Passable motel some distance from town centre”

University Lodge in Amherst
University Lodge in Amherst
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed 13 May 2017

The motel was basic but clean and had coffee and tea making facilities although the coffee in the usual packets was bland. The daily top up of these supplies was haphazard mixing decaf and normal at random as was with the varieties of tea bags.

Our first night was in a lower floor and the flimsy ceiling was vulnerable to noises from the heavy movement of people upstairs. So we requested a top floor room which resolved this problem.

We did not use a car and the walk to the town centre took some 15 minutes but Amherst being a small town, the walk was quite safe even at night.

Room Tip: The top floor is quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tony9tn

Reviewed 1 April 2017

It's fine--dated, but relatively clean, Very convenient, but terrible service from nice people who clearly reflect the "we don't care" attitude of the owners. Awful wifi connections, no grab bars despite requesting them. The owners really need to think about the crappy experience they offer.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 February 2017 via mobile

Rating a motel with a star system is tricky business. If you are used to staying in 4 or 5 star joints then there are an awful lot of one star stopovers. However, if you are more familiar with one or two star dives, anything clean may rate 3.
University Lodge in Amherst has earned a two star average. I bet many of the people who have rated it are familiar with the more rarefied places and less so with roadside hotels.
I found this motel to be clean, quiet and reasonably priced. My room had two double beds, a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron, cable tv and a hair dryer. The women in the front office were friendly and polite. It was a short walk to my son's off campus house and another short walk to many eateries.
I don't know that I could have done much better for under a 100 bucks. So this place deserves 5 stars if you are a road warrior, but it ain't the Ritz, hence 3 stars.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2017

Motel is close to the University, which is very convenient. Room felt dated and worn but overall it was clean. It was very cheap for a weekday visit. I wasn't in the room all that much and primarily used it to just sleep. Bed was comfortable enough. Wouldn't be my top choice if I was spending a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back since those are technically the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

Motel type accomodations, worn room. Seemed clean but everything is dated. No real wifi signal. Refrigerator in room, was very noisy. Make sure you get second floor room, we could hear every step the folks upstairs made. Best part was the dog howling in the am for 30 minutes straight. Only reason I would ever consider staying here again is because of its close proximity to UMASS. Who ever owns this place should really invest in some updating, would make a world of difference.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2016

The room overall exceeded expectations based upon the reviews. Convenient to UMASS Amherst. Room was mostly clean, but dated. The heat worked well, but you could smell that the vents needed cleaning. Decent lighting and TV, Shower was fine. The internet service was mediocre at best, I could not log onto my laptop. I thought it would be noisier because it was on the main Road, but very quiet at night. There was no wakeup call service because they said staff didn't come in until 8am. Didn't make sense. Overall, better than we expected.

Room Tip: upper level
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2016

Very low weekday cost and proximity to UMass campus was what attracted us to this motel. Very musty smell as soon as we entered so I opened windows.Dead bugs and grime were on the sill between window and screen. Everything was dingy and worn. Sunflower shells next to the bed. Not a deal breaker but a sign that not much attention is being paid. My wife turns down the bed later to a very live flea on the bed. I was woken at 1:30 am by an ant crawling up my arm. We heard every step from the upstairs neighbors, and they weren't being particularly noisy. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: First floor is convenient but noisy. Avoid room 2 but I can't speak about the others.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
1.2 km away
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Hadley
8.7 km away
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to University Lodge in Amherst? Share your experiences!