See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 13, 2017

The motel was basic but clean and had coffee and tea making facilities although the coffee in the usual packets was bland. The daily top up of these supplies was haphazard mixing decaf and normal at random as was with the varieties of tea bags.

Our first night was in a lower floor and the flimsy ceiling was vulnerable to noises from the heavy movement of people upstairs. So we requested a top floor room which resolved this problem.

We did not use a car and the walk to the town centre took some 15 minutes but Amherst being a small town, the walk was quite safe even at night.

Room Tip: The top floor is quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tony9tn
Reviewed April 1, 2017

It's fine--dated, but relatively clean, Very convenient, but terrible service from nice people who clearly reflect the "we don't care" attitude of the owners. Awful wifi connections, no grab bars despite requesting them. The owners really need to think about the crappy experience they offer.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2017 via mobile

Rating a motel with a star system is tricky business. If you are used to staying in 4 or 5 star joints then there are an awful lot of one star stopovers. However, if you are more familiar with one or two star dives, anything clean may rate 3.
University Lodge in Amherst has earned a two star average. I bet many of the people who have rated it are familiar with the more rarefied places and less so with roadside hotels.
I found this motel to be clean, quiet and reasonably priced. My room had two double beds, a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron, cable tv and a hair dryer. The women in the front office were friendly and polite. It was a short walk to my son's off campus house and another short walk to many eateries.
I don't know that I could have done much better for under a 100 bucks. So this place deserves 5 stars if you are a road warrior, but it ain't the Ritz, hence 3 stars.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2017

Motel is close to the University, which is very convenient. Room felt dated and worn but overall it was clean. It was very cheap for a weekday visit. I wasn't in the room all that much and primarily used it to just sleep. Bed was comfortable enough. Wouldn't be my top choice if I was spending a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back since those are technically the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2017 via mobile

Motel type accomodations, worn room. Seemed clean but everything is dated. No real wifi signal. Refrigerator in room, was very noisy. Make sure you get second floor room, we could hear every step the folks upstairs made. Best part was the dog howling in the am for 30 minutes straight. Only reason I would ever consider staying here again is because of its close proximity to UMASS. Who ever owns this place should really invest in some updating, would make a world of difference.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple