“Great first choice for a nice winter get away”

Seven Sea Street Inn
Ranked #3 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
boston
“Great first choice for a nice winter get away”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I brought my family down after reading a book about the real Moby Dick ship, The Essex, and was game to learn more about Nantucket history and present (for that contact the visitors center).

The Inn (or B&B as it might be known) is nice and cosy with a gas fireplace in the library (nice books) and eating area (nice continental breakfast). It's got a nice location, walkable from the ferries and very close to the whaling museum (closed January 4 to Feb 4 or so, take note!), lighthouse, Children's Beach. The innkeeper nicely offered suggestions on good nearby food and found a tour guide for a drive around the island (Sabra - good) and we also found you can get a walking tour (Bill-didn't try him) from the Visitor's Center on Federal St.

The building and rooms are nicely decorated and have thermostat powered electric heaters and also big heater/ac units. We were able to get blankets and there was an airbed that just fit in our room for my daughter. Walls on Nantucket are thin but the 7SI's walls were thick enough and we slept well and don't think we disturbed others either. There were more than enough TV channels, hot drinks available anytime (from the common area) and a fridge where food could be saved. There is a widow's walk with ladder entry which my daughter and I climbed up (not for the unfit, but worth doing during day if you're not drunk and not a clutz). I booked directly with the owner for a good winter price. I think the owner said that they can accomodate a total of 26. This Inn makes a great place to stay off season and I'd assume any time of year.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BostonWogga

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Monroe,NY
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Matt, we had a great time this weekend. We felt like family, returning to the Inn. It looks great with the upgrades. We always look forward to our trips to the Island and staying at the 7 Seas Inn. We will see you in May when we come back again. Keep up the great work. Tom and Marjorie Carton

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Jamestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I had reason to be on Nantucket for work for one very rainy weeknight in early December - definitely not a prime tourist season! Matthew and staff were extremely personable, accommodating, and friendly. The atmosphere at the inn was welcoming and relaxed, but extremely clean, private, and professionally run as well. All the amenities you would expect at a top notch establishment, but also the charm and character of a family-run inn. The attention to detail and comfortable setting were greatly appreciated. And the location was ideal, especially for someone on foot. I hope to have the opportunity to return to the island for a longer stay for pleasure in the future and would definitely return to Seven Sea Street without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Sandwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I've stayed on the island several times, but never in such a warm and inviting inn as the Seven Sea Street Inn. The post and beam architecture, fire place, and cozy decor offer that quintessential Nantucket charm, while Claudia's insanely delicious peach cobbler and cream bananas seal the deal. The staff was friendly and courteous and the location is ideal, just a skip to the center of town. My room had all the modern amenities I needed but still managed to maintain that cozy inn feel and comfort. I would recommend the Seven Sea Street Inn to anyone who is looking to channel a true Nantucket island experience. I will certainly stay there again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Quakertown
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I usually hate staying at independent hotels because they almost always prove to be a disapointment. Seven Sea's is the exception the the rule. The staff was great, the continental breakfast was possibly the best I have ever had and the rooms were very cozy. If you stay there make sure you take a few minutes to go out on the roof! My only complaints were the bed was rock hard and I wish they would take down all the signs in the room asking to to help save water and electricity (pet peeve of mine because I paid to use it right?) As a whole though if I'm ever back in town, it will be my first choice on hotels and I think the Seven Sea's will definitely be hosting my next vacation!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
msp3672, Owner at Seven Sea Street Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
We appreciate this nice review very much, citing our staff hospitality, our continental breakfast, our cozy guest rooms, the wonderful view we offer from our roof deck and most importantly the desire to be a returning guest on their next vacation to Nantucket.

With regard to the comfort level of our Stearns and Foster beds, I would simply explain they offer a cushioned top layer but are “firm” (not extra firm - which is a manufacturer option). Our feeling is most guests are looking for a bed that offers good strong support with some top layer cushioning for comfort, as a balance, and this is what our firm variety offers. I’m sorry he found the bed to be too firm but this is a personal preference and we think we provide what the majority of our guests prefer. Regarding in room signage, we try to be sensitive to this issue - I believe we have just one sign in the bathroom asking guests to please leave towels on the floor if they’d like them changed or hang them up if a change is not desired, in an effort to be environmentally friendly and save water and energy.

Matthew Parker
Owner/Innkeeper
CT
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Can't say enough about our stay at Seven Sea Street Inn. Nantucket is a very special place and the Inn is a perfect complement to its history and ambiance. Comfort and hospitality a major priority of Matt and Claudia, but never overbearing. The Inn's location was just right, rooms were very nice, a very homelike environment. Wife and teenage daughters truly loved it.

Room Tip: The suite was perfect.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Seven Sea Street Inn is a superb place to stay on the island. Matt, the host and staff are friendly, helpful and very accommodating. The inn could not be more conveniently located just a short walk to the town center, the whaling museum, the ferry terminals, and several excellent restaurants.

We have stayed at seven Seas several times and have always been greatly pleased with everything from the breakfast to the accommodations. The rooms are always in great condition, very clean, and very well appointed. There is internet services available and two very nice common areas for guests to relax in, read, or even work if need be. The common areas also have working gas fireplaces, a nice touch. The inn is located in a very quiet residential area.

As a Bed and Breakfast, the breakfasts are terrific and for us, just right. There are two seatings which should accommodate any schedule. The inn provides a variety of breakfast offerings including gourmet English Muffins, waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, danish, muffins, juice, coffee and tea, etc. There is coffee or tea service available at any time.

Matt, the inn keeper is terrific and is always available to answer any questions you might have or to offer suggestions concerning dinner or other activities.

We would highly recommend The Seven Sea Street inn without reservation and look forward to staying there again on our next trip to Nantucket.

Paul and Joanne S.

Room Tip: Every room we have ever stayed in has always been well furnished, very clean, in excellent condition...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business