“Sunset Lighthouse Tour Fantastic!”

Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #24 of 84 things to do in Nantucket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover this ruggedly beautiful coastal environment where deer, raptors, and shorebirds play. Explore sand dunes and small coastal forests, salt marsh and tidal ponds, on 16 miles of trails and sand roads. We also offer guided over-sand vehicle tours of the refuge, as well as self guided standup paddleboard tours.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sunset Lighthouse Tour Fantastic!”
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I wanted to see Great Point with a group of my friends before my wedding last July. We booked the sunset tour for about 10 of us. It was Amazing! The guide picked us up outside of the Wauwinet and drove us over the sand dunes. We saw Mr Hannah, the osprey who I had been following his migrations online, seals and a gorgeous sunset from the top of the lighthouse ( we got to climb it!). Definitely one of the highlights of my wedding week there!

Visited July 2010
1 Thank lark1978

NJ
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“September is an ideal time..”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

The weather is fantastic and the crowds are gone. I had read about the official tour but had not booked it. Called and booked for the next day. No problem, in fact I happen to be the only person, so it was a personal guided tour.
First, it was great fun four wheeling in comfort over the sand roads and along the beach!

The scenery, the views are fantastic, the information very interesting. All the birds and all the facts about them excellent.
But the highlight for me personally was Great Point. First, we walked along the shore to the very point and there was a huge bunch of seals just feet off shore, swimming in the waves, bobbing their heads up and down. Not sure what they were eating but they were in no rush to leave. Then we climbed the lighthouse, which is not open otherwise. It was a very clear day and we could see Marthas's Vineyard and Cape Cod in the distance. Simply beautiful.
A great tour, well worth the time and money.

3 Thank caitemaire
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge”
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I took my family to the Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge last week. I would not recommend walking it by yourself in July because the mosquitos are wicked. But I highly recommend taking the official tour with your family sponsored by the Trustees and the park ranger services. It was five star event for everyone. We got a private tour for the lighthouse and saw seals and bunch of diferent birds. We lucked out and had the tour from real native from Nantucket and who was very informative and great with all ages.

Great Point lighthouse is located on the Northeast tip of the island. It was destroyed in March 1984 by a severe 'noreaster' storm and rebuilt in 1986. This lighthouse is accessible only by 4-wheel drive vehicle, unless you are an EXPERT and avid hiker and don't mind walking seven miles in the sand. A special over sand access sticker to the Coatue Wildlife Reserve ($85/season) is required for your vehicle. If you choose to rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle that comes with an rental access sticker, then you can drive out to the lighthouse for $20 per day. There is a warning though. Make sure you know how to drive on very soft sand. During the summer months many a tourist can be seen a few hundred feet onto the beach with their Jeep buried up to the frame. You really need to know what you are doing. Tows aren't cheap..

We also had lunch at Toppers which is not kid friendly in that they probably will not appreciate the beauty of the place until they are at least twelve years old.

1 Thank Donnelly2009
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Great Point Great Time”
Reviewed 9 January 2006

Excellent! What an adventure driving on the beach, watching seals, fishing and picnicing. We went for a nice swim on the harbor side. In the summer bustle it was a great place to get away from it all. Highly recommended and tread carefully. Rare species abound.

9 Thank LAKNOL