“Not what it used to be ”
Review of Cru

Cru
Ranked #25 of 151 Restaurants in Nantucket
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: CRU is closed until Christmas Stroll. We will reopen November 29, 2019. This premier oyster bar offers casually elegant cuisine in a visually stunning waterfront setting on Nantucket harbor.
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

I visit CRU every time I go to Nantucket and it has always been my favorite place on the island. This year it felt different. The food is still top notch and the location is the best. But the vibe this time was off. Maybe they've gotten a bit pretentious. It was the least crowded I've ever seen it. Are people realizing that it's very overpriced and opting for other spots? I'll continue to enjoy a cocktail at the back bar but probably won't stay to eat.

Kaitlyn M, Manager at Cru, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2017

wmcguinness91,

I am sorry that this is the vibe you felt when you joined us this season. It has been our busiest season yet so there's a chance you caught us at an off time. I encourage you to come and try dining with us again!

Reviewed September 13, 2017

I have traveled extensively and have enjoyed all types of vacations/hotels/restaurants from extravagant to economical. My reviews are with an eye for understanding where I am in the world and that there are a world of differences.

Here is the positive: The restaurant is lovely to look, as it is beautifully decorated and sits on a wharf overlooking Nantucket boat basin. Just perfect! The bar scene (which seems to be why people go to Cru, was lively)

However, our much anticipated food experience was quite bad. Here's what the four of us ordered for a early light dinner: Two orders of mussels, which were prepared in a flavorless creamy broth (nothing like described on the menu); the pork sliders were not prepared well and also flavorless (no hint of the vidalia as described); and the lobster roll was mediocre with a small portion of lobster meat in a roll, nothing to enhance it's presentation. Also, our service was not great. Our waiter acted as if he was doing a favor serving us. He didn't even inquire as to how we were liking our selections. On a high note, the bus people were gracious and helpful.

I would not recommend this restaurant for food, but a pre-dinner cocktail would be fun. You can do far much better for your money at another venue.

2  Thank madskiing
Kaitlyn M, Manager at Cru, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2017

madskiing,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at CRU. We always get great feedback on our food and I am sad that this was not the same for you. I am sure if you came in again we could create a better experience than what you are describing. I'd love to have the opportunity to make this up to you. Please contact me at info@crunantucket.com so we can discuss this further.

Reviewed September 10, 2017 via mobile

It was prior to the dinner hour so we waited for a table because what we wanted were not on the bar menu. My daughter and I had the short rib sliders with the Vidalia onions and smoked Gouda. They were just simply Devine. Two sliders perfect to share. We also had the chilled cucumber soup with lobster. Such a unique and wonderful combination. We had planned to order mains but the aps were so filling we opted to share dessert. Again a unique ice cream sandwich; almond macaroons stuffed with strawberry ice cream and pink rainbow sprinkles definitely large enough to share. Service was impeccable.

Kaitlyn M, Manager at Cru, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

chrisfromthecape,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your food and service. The ice cream sandwich was an addition to our menu this summer and a huge hit! We hope you can come in again soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2017

The location of this restaurant - right at the end of the boat basin pier - provides great yacht and people watching! We sat at the back bar for lunch and a couple drinks. I agree with other reviewers, the lobster roll is ridiculously priced ($36!), but it was very tasty. And the local oysters were fantastic. The bartender midday was not very on the ball - we had to wait a while for our first beer and refills were slow in coming. So don't expect cheap eats or fast service - but go for the view, remember you're on vacation, and enjoy!

Kaitlyn M, Manager at Cru, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

HeatherandMikeCasey,

We are glad you enjoyed the ambiance of CRU but apologize that your service at the back bar fell short. We have competitive prices but our goal is to have the service and experience to match them. Please contact me at info@crunantucket.com so we can look further into this for you. Thank you for the review. We hope to have you in again this season.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Food was great, slightly over-priced but the location is likely worth it and the servings were large. They have a great drink selection at the bar and its worth going to for a nice meal.

Kaitlyn M, Manager at Cru, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Stephen G,

We are glad you enjoyed your experience at CRU and appreciate your review. Thank you!