“Last Night of Christmas Stroll”
Review of Oran Mor

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Description: Oran Mor Bistro is located up a flight of copper stairs in an historic Nantucket home. The restaurant has an intimate bar and three dining rooms with attractive earth-toned decor that are a warm prelude to delicious, beautifully prepared food. The bar radiates warmth of the past with its wide plank flooring, pen and ink bar top and gaff-rigged wine glass racks. Oran Mor features handcrafted cocktails from the freshest ingredients, house infusions and specialty spirits. The wine list predominantly features wines from France, small American producers as well as a travelogue of wines from around the world. Oran Mor Bistro is owned by Chef Edwin Claflin. The cooking style is one of inspired simplicity; each ingredient complements one another to create a unique, savory dish. The evolving and innovative menu is derived from the changing seasons and their bountiful offerings. Showcasing native seafood, fresh local produce and naturally raised meats from select farms.
Reviewed January 18, 2018

We went to Oran Mor on 12/3 when many other restaurants were closed for the season. This was their last night open and my wife and I were glad we found it! The meals and drinks were discounted by 30-40%. They did not skimp on the food or the service, however, as restaurants sometimes do when closing up. The oyester appetizers, dinners (duck and lobster), drinks and dessert were all excellent and creative. Our server, Meryl, was one of the best servers I have ever had; making the evening fun and having great timing with her table visits. The bonfire dessert was very good and unique. I would definitely go back here!

Reviewed October 9, 2017

After traveling all day (and being 6 months pregnant) I was eager to get to dinner at a place I have heard so much about. I ordered the caesar kale salad which was good and also the bucatini pasta dish. When my pasta came out I was extremely disappointed. With 4 twirls of my fork and less than 5 minutes later my meal was finished. I have never seen such a small portion of pasta in my life and for such an expensive price at $36! Had I not ordered the salad and ate the bread that was offered I would be leaving and immediately walking downtown for a slice of pizza. Now don't get me wrong, the flavors were definitely there but there is just no excuse for such a small portion. I also want to mention that the pasta served was NOT bucatini which was another disappointment because that is one of my favorite pasta's which you rarely see served.

My husband ordered the lobster pasta which he enjoyed and the portion on his dish was exactly the way it should be so I am not sure what the story was with mine. Everything else about the place was nice...the staff was friendly and it was a cozy space for a meal.

3  Thank Alecia T
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

Came here on a Tuesday in mid September - we stopped in at about 5:30pm when they first opened to make reservations for that night - was busy and they found us a table in the bar area but it was fine-but I'd suggest making reservations if you can. My wife and I shared a kale salad which I thought was very good but as my wife doesn't like kale she was ambivalent. It did not have the typical bitterness that you often see with kale and it was prepared extremely well and nicely served. For dinner we each had the duck which was excellent. Cooked perfectly with very tasty side dish. They have a large wine list which we did not partake of as we are not big wine drinkers. I had an excellent German hesse wiezen beer-they do not have a large selection of beers and nothing on tap. The wait staff were excellent. We did not have dessert but they table next to us had an interesting variation of a s'more that they set on fire at the table-looked good.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

So, a chef that finally gets how to serve a Caprese salad. Room temperature, perfectly ripened, tomatoes with an inventive foamed accompaniment. Wow, what a starter. Chilled corn soup was phenomenal with a slight kick. And for those that think they only have " Lobsta " in this part of Mass, try the duck or pork chop. Green herb spatzle was light compliment, and red cabbage offered positive sweetness to salted pork. Creamed spinach was great consistency but got lost in too much salt.
Service was prompt, not intrusive. Food delivery spot on. A great first meal....and I should have had another Caprese salad to go!

1  Thank BillyTeddy
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

We love to eat out on the island. We finally got to Oran Mor and it was fantastic! We had the cold corn soup special and lobster pasta for appetizers and the tagine and monkfish special for main dishes. Everyone was helpful, knowledgeable, and the food was fresh and delicious! It's upstairs with a dark, romantic feel. We will be back!