“Highly Recommend”

Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: French, Italian, Guatemalan, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welten was founded in 1983, earning since then an excellent reputation; not only for our dishes, but also for the personal attention with which they are served. Each area has been carefully decorated in its own distinctive style to sit the mood and taste of each customer. Those who appreciate gourmet cuisine will find that Welten offers the best of both, international and Guatemalan cooking all made to order using the freshest ingredients.
Reviewed August 8, 2018

I really enjoyed my dinner at this restaurant. The food was great and the service was amazing. I love the atmosphere of this place, really romantic and special.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

The menu is excellent, the service is over the top. Unless it's absolutely too cold to contemplate get a table in back around the reflecting pool. On a couple of occasions the waiters gave my kids lap blankets as that's where we like to eat.

Reviewed May 22, 2018 via mobile

We were told that Welten would be the place to go for a celebratory (husband’s birthday) dinner. I emailed the restaurant asking for one of their romantic tables. We were not disappointed! There were many special touches beyond those I’ve listed here, but I don’t want to spoil the surprises for you.

The table was festooned with rose petals, as was the pool at the center of the courtyard. Strings of small lights provided a lovely diffuse light.

We had bread with special butters (garlic, pepper) with aperitif wines.
We had ceviche (served in a giant ceramic conch shell) and hearts of palm with shrimp for appetizers.
I had Guatemalan-style “tipico” fish (wonderful white-bean base), but special mention must go to my husband’s seafood pasta. The shrimp and scallops were sweet and succulent; the white sauce had a delicious fish stock base, and the pasta was homemade and perfect.
After dinner they served toasted cardamom seeds as a digestif, brilliant.
Husband’s birthday dessert was accompanied by sparklers — but of course!

Prices are high for Guatemala — even for Antigua — but still reasonable compared with US prices. The final bill was lower than we were expecting. Considering the effective and attentive service, this splurge really felt worthwhile.

We will be back on our next trip to Antigua. And I hope there will always be a next trip to Antigua.

Reviewed May 16, 2018

I wanted some pepper steak and it was outstanding. I asked if the chef was French and was told no. This was the second best place I ate all week.

Reviewed April 30, 2018

From my fantastic huge sangria to the beef medallions and fresh pasta, we loved our dinner at Welten. Great service and a beautiful romantic atmosphere. The one bummer was the crepes Suzette, which I usually love. However they filled it with some kind of nut butter, which did not work for me (others might like it)...I prefer the simple classic. I'm sorry we didn't get back a second time during our trip but there are so many great restaurants in Antigua. This is one of the better ones among stiff competition!